Archived No longer a 5 minute grace period... Possible Coaching...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my store is going though a lot of changes this summer... My backroom TL just quit his job after having an argument with my ETL- Logistics... A few weeks later my ETL also resigned (not confirmed... but our STL told us he would be "away for a while")

Because now, the only person available to open the doors in the early morning schedule is my Flow TL .... in a meeting along with my STL ... They told us that now a 3-4 minutes is considered to be late.... and if this trend continues... a Team Member could possibly face a coaching... Is that Legal?

The reason for this action is that they said my Flow TL needs to be with the unloading team as soon as possible, and cannot longer wait for a Team Member who comes 3-4 minutes late....

Now, I barely show up late to work, but this is not just pure "crap" from the managers? How can we fight against this rule? Should we call the red line? Honestly, I never heard about a possible coaching for a team member who show up a few minutes late, but still I want to be prepared...

Welp, some team members could be waiting at the doors forever. What if they open the doors late?

I think you mean hotline, but if someone is scheduled for 5:00AM and store opens at 7/8, and you it takes you 5-10 minutes to open the door, i'd be pissed. Because i have a good feeling most people who open the door in the morning will wait a few minutes before heading down.

Certainly heard these scenarios from several Targets I've worked at. Here are your options.

1) All team member leave there destinations earlier as to make it to the doors/gate when the person lets you in upon arrival.

2) Do a punch correction as to you being at the door on time and if person not there to open door, that's on Target NOT on you.

3) go back and forth with management as to who's fault is is as to latenesses.

@JoseM, personally, Going into 'War' with management can be done with Sucess.. Just make sure the battles you pick, you have a leg to stand on and all your bases covered. Good luck with everything!!

a Team Member could possibly face a coaching... Is that Legal?
You can be coached for anything. It has nothing to do with being "legal" or "illegal." It all depends on Target's policies.

You aren't actually considered late unless you clock in more than 5 minutes after your shift starts. They were probably just saying 3-4 minutes to try to sound strict, but if they coached on that you should challenge it with HR.

My old ETL-Log used to have that policy when he didn't have a flow TL and had to run trucks. He would be at the door from 5:55 until 6:05. If you were late, you would have to sit in your car until 7am or walk to the receiving door (about a quarter of a mile away since we're attached to a strip mall).

With leadership changes come new "rules" that seem to appear out of no where .. I have had etl log who had the 5 of and 5 after policy like @SFSFun mentioned. Our current srtl log wants us there at least 5 minutes before our shift starts. When he started this he would get nasty if you showed up at the door after 555 am....until someone went to hr. Now he wont say anything he just prefers us to be there 5 till. I also had a stl who told all of us ( whole store) there is no grace period. If you are late you are late period. She went on to say that they could classify you as being late if you clocked in at 801 am instead of 8am . Of course none of us took her to seriously after all this is the woman who would be late herself ( hours) call the store and tell the operator that if anyone called for her not to tell them she wasn't there....just say she was in a meeting and to take a message. Practice what you preach

Last edited:
Anytime they are super late opening the door - punch correction. Every single time. This also means you need to be there on time.

It's part of being an adult - be at work on time and not the split second you are supposed to clock in. A couple minutes before at least.

I took this policy after we had a super lazy overnight ETL who would leave us out in the dark for 10-20min at a time.. Punch corrections added up and his laziness stopped.. His excuse would always be "Well I wait until everyone is there to get let in." Dude I started at 6am not 6:20am, not my problem that someone got scheduled at 6:15am."

This is going to be a shitstorm if it ever happens at my store. Part of my shift comes in at 4, part 4:30, part 5. My exec is always on time to get the door but my team lead seems to let people become late intentionally. I'm talking like she sits outside TSC watching her phone so she knows when to come up so whoever's outside is late. Salsa bad when she opens the door at 3:58 with 25 people waiting outside, somebody's punching in after 4 when they're waiting outside for 10 minutes. Shit is really stupid at this point.

This is going to be a shitstorm if it ever happens at my store. Part of my shift comes in at 4, part 4:30, part 5. My exec is always on time to get the door but my team lead seems to let people become late intentionally. I'm talking like she sits outside TSC watching her phone so she knows when to come up so whoever's outside is late. Salsa bad when she opens the door at 3:58 with 25 people waiting outside, somebody's punching in after 4 when they're waiting outside for 10 minutes. Shit is really stupid at this point.
If you show up on time, and nobody is there to open the door for you, you get to submit a punch correction for your scheduled start time instead of clocking in late. NEVER just clock in late if you were there on time and nobody let you in at your scheduled start time.

At the OPs store they are at the door letting people in on time, and only those who are actually arriving late are going to get in trouble.

Edit: Why do you not have two time clocks if you commonly have 25 people starting at the same time?

You can be coached for anything. It has nothing to do with being "legal" or "illegal." It all depends on Target's policies.

You aren't actually considered late unless you clock in more than 5 minutes after your shift starts. They were probably just saying 3-4 minutes to try to sound strict, but if they coached on that you should challenge it with HR.

My old ETL-Log used to have that policy when he didn't have a flow TL and had to run trucks. He would be at the door from 5:55 until 6:05. If you were late, you would have to sit in your car until 7am or walk to the receiving door (about a quarter of a mile away since we're attached to a strip mall).
Target's policy says you can clock in as early 5;55 for a 6:00 a shift and as late as 6:04 for said shift. I get a report for each team member each month that has two or more than two attendance issues, including lates or absences, so that I can coach them. Only shows them, as late if the clock in 6:05 or later for their shift.

and even that if the store is consistent they're happy to do it.

the only challenge is if you get fired and you win unemployment.

as to op.. i'm a stickler and submitted a lot of punch corrections in my time with the blessings of multiple stl's. one even went to bat with me with hr who wanted to coach me for how i clock out. if they'll only let you in at shift start time, and it takes longer i'd raise a fuss.

you're allowed to clock in 5 min late without repercussions. you're not allowed to show up 5 minutes after shift time, have someone come unlock the door, then get to the time clock.

Target's policy says you can clock in as early 5;55 for a 6:00 a shift and as late as 6:04 for said shift. I get a report for each team member each month that has two or more than two attendance issues, including lates or absences, so that I can coach them. Only shows them, as late if the clock in 6:05 or later for their shift.
I thought you weren't late until :eek:6, not :05

I clocked in at :05 like 20 times in last 3 months and no one has said a thing

She went on to say that they could classify you as being late if you clocked in at 801 am instead of 8am

Yeah she's full of crap it's in the handbook and mytime won't even put someone on a late report unless they are six or more minutes late.

The problem is it's an inefficient system for people to have to come open the door several times a night. At my old overnight store they would do it at 11pm for flow. 4 pm for Plano. 6 pm for the pmt. But of course people arrive at different times. My old log told me he opened the door at least 15 times a night.

Nothing target can do except have someone assigned to the door. And even then it has to be a key carrier. I always hated walking by tms in the freezing cold q4 looking to get in and thinking to myself "wish I had keys to help you"

Is the 5 minute grace period stated in the handbook or on workbench? I've never seen anything solid on it and my last ETL-HR explicitly told me it was not Target policy i.e 6:01 you're late.

Is the 5 minute grace period stated in the handbook or on workbench? I've never seen anything solid on it and my last ETL-HR explicitly told me it was not Target policy i.e 6:01 you're late.

I stand corrected, I didnt see it in the handbook.

I asked my etl hr the deal is when you are coached for attendance they have to pull the actual report with the times and dates you were late.

Since the computer only records lates starting on the sixth minute after the start time they can't coach you on it and it doesn't go on your record.

Last edited:
That five minutes grace, is pretty standard with time clocks since it allows multiple people who start at the same time to punch in and not be counted as late waiting to punch in. In the morning they tend to be a bit more forgiving since you have to be let in(my store anyways) but if I am late I just punch, if the keyholder is late its a correction.

Quick tip on those punch corrections.. I do know they can and do check film on those.. Don't fudge one when you running to the door when everyone else was waiting.. I do know someone almost fired for goofing a punch correction. I know the story in a hurry forgot just agreed with HRTM said "6am" when he had come in late that day.. They tried to fire him for 10min of pay..

Quick tip on those punch corrections.. I do know they can and do check film on those.. Don't fudge one when you running to the door when everyone else was waiting.. I do know someone almost fired for goofing a punch correction. I know the story in a hurry forgot just agreed with HRTM said "6am" when he had come in late that day.. They tried to fire him for 10min of pay..

This is true. I know we are in the same group and our APBP is super strict about timeclock fraud. (One store lost their vmtl over it)

Some stores don't have a real camera in TMSC though. We have a dummy camera only since Corp cut the number of cameras.

The reality is if your scheduled at 5, you need to be there at five or you're late. Your bus doesn't wait 5 minutes past it's arrival time
He/she/it are not talking about a bus. They are talking about a stated policy no longer being honored. What does a bus have to do with this ? Target is not a bus. It doesn't have to move or has to be somewhere. It's there in one spot 24/7. People go to it. It doesn't have an assigned route. It's, just ,like, there. In one place. Immobile.

He/she/it are not talking about a bus. They are talking about a stated policy no longer being honored. What does a bus have to do with this ? Target is not a bus. It doesn't have to move or has to be somewhere. It's there in one spot 24/7. People go to it. It doesn't have an assigned route. It's, just ,like, there. In one place. Immobile.

Plan accordingly in life. Show up early for anything and everything. Self discipline.

This is why I kept grids with times anytime someone showed up late.
I also always showed up 10 mins early for any big number of people coming in, 4/430/6 to help people who like to show up early get in quick and encourage people to show up early. I'd let in the big group as early as possible and then leave the door exactly at 4am/430am etc. If anyone showed up any later than that I'd write down the time of the bell and walk there and they'd be waiting outside alone. Do that for a couple week only a few people come in just in time or late, then all you do is talk to their TL give them the grids if they show up actually late. Or talk with them about showing up early enough 4 means ready to punch in at 4, we give you 4:05 to let some leeway because shit happens but at any other entry-level job attendance is big.

Still the biggest pain in the world to be at a target where 1 person gets the door always, esp if that target uses the front door instead of a side door in HR that can actually work as a TL or ETL could check emails and do paper work while waiting for people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back