Archived Project Viper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those notepads, guests hate them, we have used most of what we were given to start. Stupid.

This BR team coaching might be Targets way of getting your store ready for Project Viper.

I heard their first idea was to hide Vipers in all the WACOs that are above eye level, that was until they realized Steritech was a thing, and most likely has a policy against Vipers out of eyesight. They kept the name because all the packets had already been printed however.

Those notepads, guests hate them, we have used most of what we were given to start. Stupid.

I tried to order more post its however first I was sent an e-mail saying they were back ordered then I was sent an e-mail saying that my order was cancled and the item discontinued.

Anyone else?

It sure makes scanning faster. No more stopping to put up a raincheck then search for a substitute. I hope they haven't already axed it. Only thing I see wrong with it is that we're supposed to figure out what percentage off a sale item is from the regular price. I probably knew how to do that once, but forgot long ago.

I tried to order more post its however first I was sent an e-mail saying they were back ordered then I was sent an e-mail saying that my order was cancled and the item discontinued.

Anyone else?

It sure makes scanning faster. No more stopping to put up a raincheck then search for a substitute. I hope they haven't already axed it. Only thing I see wrong with it is that we're supposed to figure out what percentage off a sale item is from the regular price. I probably knew how to do that once, but forgot long ago.

Take out your phone and go to your calculator app (or find someone with a smart phone).

Enter in the sale price then divide by the regular price. Multiply that by 100 and you have the percent off which can be entered in at the register under ad substitute.

I love how Target is assuming everyone has smart phones now. What they should do is develop an app for personal phones that you can use to shoot RSCH, look up POGs, request signs. All the stuff a PDA does (but maybe it won't scan as well). It would provide access to all these functions on the sales floor for any TM who can't get their hands on a real PDA. I don't have the Target app so I don't know what functionality it has.

I love how Target is assuming everyone has smart phones now. What they should do is develop an app for personal phones that you can use to shoot RSCH, look up POGs, request signs. All the stuff a PDA does (but maybe it won't scan as well). It would provide access to all these functions on the sales floor for any TM who can't get their hands on a real PDA. I don't have the Target app so I don't know what functionality it has.

YES LET US HAVE THIS OK.

Then I can text and still do work

Which is why they are rolling out the iOS devices... and REDwire on them is pretty amazing.

You might get the MyDevices soon. Great for sales floor functions but are worthless in the backroom. It's a iPod touch with a scanner. It comes loaded with Target.com, cartwheel, Red wire, and yes a handy dandy calculator.

A couple of things I've learned. Some new, some confirming what we know.
1) There's a 4 week transition period.
2) Trucks move to push all.
3) No CAFs or autofills.
4) Not exactly sure about this one but looks like for smaller stores it may be 7 zones.

I think I'm forgetting something though.

Am I the only one that actually wouldn't mind this? I'm already cross-trained for everything in logistics and the salesfloor so I'd hardly need any additional training, and I'd LOVE to have an area that was all mine to maintain.
This would be great for me too. But I expect to have to carry my own weight plus the slack of other TMs who can't cut it but won't get fired either.

I'm afraid it will be like everything else. We won't ever have time to work in our areas but we'll pretend everything is great, units it isn't. We've stopped pretending to do 4x4s at my store. We are all cashiers all of the time.

Last edited:
I haven't heard a peep about 4x4's either in awhile. Fallen to the wayside. Hard to do a 4x4 when there are 2 people on the salesfloor plus specialty teams.

Our STL gave me a sheet to do 4x4s for every single checklane. That was at least three months ago and the clipboard is probably still at GS.

So... I happen to work in one of the pilot stores doing viper.
Zone 1 Pfresh
Zone 2 Consumables
Zone 3 mmb and seasonal (center electronics area goes to Elec Tm)
Zone 4 Toys and Furniture Isles D,E
Zone 5 Home and stationary Isles B,C
Zone 6 HBA, Chem, Pets Isle A
Softlines has two Tm's

Shifts are 7am - 230pm / 230pm - close - We did get two 15's and a 30 at first, but now only one 15

The first week the training was adequate but fell apart soon.
All Backroom and salesfloor instantly got raises to match flow pay despite ability.
No more Cafs.
Push all trucks.

Non truck days - You come in and check the map/zone board to see which area your in get pda, walkie gray dots and blue dots. Start with gobacks from up front then shoot outs and make yourself a batch of stuff to get from the back. While shooting we put gray dots up for things we are out of and blue dots on items that have messed up counts. Hit up the back room and grab whatevers in your batch in EXF then go out and push that crap. Next should be the 4x4 but we haven't started that yet so i zone for a while then repeat. All this while helping guests, answering phones and guest 1st.

Truck days - 4 guys come in an hour early and begin a slow unload. The rest come in at 7 and grab stuff and begin pushing, going back for more when done. PLUS everything above is to be done in the same amount of time (7 hours)

Problems so far
Half ass training - Tl's have no idea who knows what
Not enough equipment - Pda's older than some new hires, low on walkies, actually ran out of dots.
Bad scheduling - Putting tm's in areas they've never done, clopening, different zone each shift, ect
Too many Tl's - Since backroom, flow and sales merged the Tl's did too and they all want things done different.
Over payroll - One would think this would be easy, 7 hour shifts x 9 people x twice a day but somehow we are over what they estimated.
Physically demanding - 80 year old tm + cat litter = ?
Retention - doing this much work anywhere else pays more
Steep learning curve - It's a lot to take in for new hires, some things are just learned through repetition.
Truck unload takes too long - 6 to 12am sometimes

Overall this would work better than the old system IF done right. In only a few days the store is looking much better product-wise. Shelves are fuller, endcaps look good and we got tm's all over to help guests. If the tm's were scheduled in the same area each shift and have consistent shifts like opening mon-fri ect they would eventually take ownership on that area. This would prevent people from taking shortcuts / leaving work for others. As of now we are shuffled around and no one can be held accountable so things are half assed.

The pda software is horribad and makes a simple job of putting things on shelves far more complicated than it needs to be. We also don't need managers in a 3 to 1 ratio it just causes confusion and blows payroll. We are already cutting corners by under-scheduling areas and making 1 Tm do 2 zones like it's no problem. We also habitually over staff so now everyone gets 28 hours even those that got 40 for 10+ years.

Last edited:
Problems so far
Half ass training - Tl's have no idea who knows what
Not enough equipment
- Pda's older than some new hires, low on walkies, actually ran out of dots.
Bad scheduling - Putting tm's in areas they've never done, clopening, different zone each shift, ect
Too many Tl's - Since backroom, flow and sales merged the Tl's did too and they all want things done different.
Over payroll - One would think this would be easy, 7 hour shifts x 9 people x twice a day but somehow we are over what they estimated.
Physically demanding - 80 year old tm + cat litter = ?
Retention - doing this much work anywhere else pays more
Steep learning curve - It's a lot to take in for new hires, some things are just learned through repetition.
Truck unload takes too long - 6 to 12am sometimes

Overall this would work better than the old system IF done right. In only a few days the store is looking much better product-wise. Shelves are fuller, endcaps look good and we got tm's all over to help guests. If the tm's were scheduled in the same area each shift and have consistent shifts like opening mon-fri ect they would eventually take ownership on that area. This would prevent people from taking shortcuts / leaving work for others. As of now we are shuffled around and no one can be held accountable so things are half assed.

The pda software is horrible and makes a simple job of putting things on shelves far more complicated than it needs to be. We also don't need managers in a 3 to 1 ratio it just causes confusion and blows payroll. We are already cutting corners by under-scheduling areas and making 1 Tm do 2 zones like it's no problem. We also habitually over staff so now everyone gets 28 hours even those that got 40 for 10+ years.

Ahhhh.... sounds about right for Target.
:slow clap:

---
thanks for the info

It sure makes scanning faster. No more stopping to put up a raincheck then search for a substitute. I hope they haven't already axed it. Only thing I see wrong with it is that we're supposed to figure out what percentage off a sale item is from the regular price. I probably knew how to do that once, but forgot long ago.[/QUOTE]
To find the percent off go to rfApps>upcs>scan sale item>% off shown!

To find the percent off go to rfApps>upcs>scan sale item>% off shown![/QUOTE]
Some of them don't show though.... I guess we can use our phone if we have it on us, unless you are a math wiz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back