Archived Quitting and reapplying question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ever done this before and have any experience with it? I'm needing to move and my store does serious run around with anyone wanting to transfer (they are a very high turnover store, we're talking lossing at least 10 TM a week). Thus, I have found it best to quit, and being as I'm rehireable, to reapply. So what's the best tactics to get into a new store asap and get my old position and pay back, or possibly even a higher position as I had similar experience before target. My biggest worry is that a new store would try and start me at square one like Idk anything and try and low ball my pay.

Ok. That's a tough one. Did you call this new store to inquire about their open positions? Also. Did you know you can apply to that location via eHR? I would contact their HR and find out what you can. Once you talk to them and apply, it starts the process. Your HR really doesn't do much in the transfer process, except respond to emails. It is really up to the new store.

I would not suggest you quit and then try to reapply.... That will be the worst thing you can do. I would call the store you want to transfer too and see if they would take you as a transfer. If you quit, you may not get the same pay, nor the same position. Even with a transfer you might not even get same position, but if your HR or STL marks you as non-rehirable for any reason, you'll be done.

I would not suggest you quit and then try to reapply.... That will be the worst thing you can do. I would call the store you want to transfer too and see if they would take you as a transfer. If you quit, you may not get the same pay, nor the same position. Even with a transfer you might not even get same position, but if your HR or STL marks you as non-rehirable for any reason, you'll be done.

I know I'm marked as rehireable, I already checked on that. But see, my current store tried to sabotage any transfers, doing a CA over something petty to make you ineligible and doing the run around. Reapplying is about the only choice you have.

I know I'm marked as rehireable, I already checked on that. But see, my current store tried to sabotage any transfers, doing a CA over something petty to make you ineligible and doing the run around. Reapplying is about the only choice you have.
Wtf! Not okay!

Wtf! Not okay!
I agree, but when the powers that be in your store have an agenda, you pretty much either go with the flow or get drowned trying to fight the tide. I didn't have a choice, as I HAD to relocate, but they made it impossible to transfer so now I need options on how best to start over.

Hotline. This behaviour is against the best interest of both that store and the company as a whole. It may not get you what you want, but a flag may be raised to help someone else in the same position as you down the road.

Hotline. This behaviour is against the best interest of both that store and the company as a whole. It may not get you what you want, but a flag may be raised to help someone else in the same position as you down the road.
Ive already called the hotline. Had a follow up from someone a few days ago who's 'conducting an investigation'. I'm fairly certain it won't get me the results that I need, but I just didn't want to get tossed around without telling someone what goes on.

How far is the other store? STL from other store said we can pick-up shifts at the other store whenever we want. Might help get your foot in the door.

You cannot get rehired at your old pay. Unless of course you were just bumped up to 9 bucks an hour. lol

How far is the other store? STL from other store said we can pick-up shifts at the other store whenever we want. Might help get your foot in the door.
About 350 miles away.

They stopped bringing you back at your old pay like a decade ago. There's no need to look at your old pay at all. You reapply, you are hired back at the current minimum.

Your history w the company doesn't matter once you quit. Your pay starts over, your years of service starts over, your vacation starts over. The only thing that doesn't start over is your 401k IF you were already eligible for it when you quit.

They stopped bringing you back at your old pay like a decade ago. There's no need to look at your old pay at all. You reapply, you are hired back at the current minimum.

Your history w the company doesn't matter once you quit. Your pay starts over, your years of service starts over, your vacation starts over. The only thing that doesn't start over is your 401k IF you were already eligible for it when you quit.
OK then answer this for me. I hadn't been working there long enough to get merit raises or none of that. I got hired at 12.50 and was still making 12.50 when I left. Are you saying that there's no way I would get brought back in somewhere else for that?

Depends on the position they hire you for, what the starting pay is for that position & if they're impressed enough with you to consider it.

OK then answer this for me. I hadn't been working there long enough to get merit raises or none of that. I got hired at 12.50 and was still making 12.50 when I left. Are you saying that there's no way I would get brought back in somewhere else for that?

It depends on what the $12.50 pay was for. Was that some kind of experience/merit pay you negotiated when you were first hired, or is that the standard pay rate for your particular job w/ the company? If it's a standard, you can probably expect to be paid that amount again were you to quit and re-apply. If it's the former, you will have to re-negotiate and there's no guarantee you'd get it again.

I know you have already shot this down, but your best chance would be to transfer. It's all about how you go about doing it.

I would suggest calling the other store first and talking to the ETL-HR. Just tell them you are moving no matter what, and you would love to continue working for Target but your store never allows transfers for any reason.

If the ETL-HR at the other store is still unable/unwilling to talk to your leadership team, you should try telling your ETL-HR that you are moving no matter what; that you will be leaving the store when the time comes; and that it is ridiculous to make you quit and reapply under the circumstances.

All of this is helped by that fact that you are moving hundreds of miles away and not just to the other side of town.

It depends on what the $12.50 pay was for. Was that some kind of experience/merit pay you negotiated when you were first hired, or is that the standard pay rate for your particular job w/ the company? If it's a standard, you can probably expect to be paid that amount again were you to quit and re-apply. If it's the former, you will have to re-negotiate and there's no guarantee you'd get it again.
Nothing special as far as I know. When I had the last interview with the STL, he explained the GSA position and from what I pieced together I told him what I expected. He offered me more, 12.50, so I took it.

Nothing special as far as I know. When I had the last interview with the STL, he explained the GSA position and from what I pieced together I told him what I expected. He offered me more, 12.50, so I took it.

Oh, it was GSA. Yeah, you were definitely getting some kind of competitive pay if you were given $12.50 for GSA, unless $12/hr is the minimum wage in your locality. I very much doubt you could negotiate that again were you to quit and re-apply. GSA usually only pays 50 cents above min. wage.

Unless the wages are high in the market that you are moving to, I wouldn't expect that kind of pay. The GSAs in my store all make under $10. We are in a low wage market where min. wage is only $7.25/hr.

If the starting pay where you get hired back at is 12.50 then yes. If starting pay for the job you are hired for is 9 dollars, then no.

The store your going to has the option to reinstate you at your previous pay, However its has to be approved by the DTL/HRBP and they almost never approve. The store your going too, may bring you on into there team, but at the current min. wage. So if min. wage is $9 an hour at your new store, you might start at that and not the 12.50 you were making.

Well, I was working in GA, where minimum wage is 7.25. Most regular associates at the store were getting paid 8.75-10.25 so I assume the 12.50 was for my previous experience and for it being technically above a regular TM. Knowing what GSA entails, I couldnt see myself coming back for very much less, otherwise I'm only going to be willing to be a regular TM and I personally would rather do something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back