Archived Ready to call it quits..

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedBoy

The Red Boy
Okay, sorry if this isn't in the appropriate spot of the site, first of all.

I'll keep it short - I've been a GSA for a while now, and though my specific store isn't as needlessly evil as some of yours (and I've been on the clear, honest TL path for a little while now), I feel ready to try something new. I don't feel as into the role as I once did and I really feel like my store does a great job of abusing talent and alienating the crew. Again, not the worst store, but I've always considered myself to possess a strong work ethic, and it's bothering me that I haven't been as invested.

That being said, I'm scared to jump the gun just yet, and need some advice. I make a pretty good salary as a GSA (had to negotiate bitterly to get it higher than 75 measly cents above base). I'm currently hoping to move to a new apartment, so obviously the loss of the money is a worry. For those of you who have quit Spot in favor of higher pursuits (or even quit worse jobs to come to Target), what are some other areas of work somebody like me can get into? Without throwing too much out there, I've been at Target for over a year, and have other supervisory experience as well from a side gig I do. Any good companies that anybody can think of? I know google is out there but right now I just need a jumping-off point. Thanks!

Look into bank teller positions. Entry level tellers often make more than experienced GSA's, along with paid holidays off and the majority of weekends off depending on the company/branch.

Look into bank teller positions. Entry level tellers often make more than experienced GSA's, along with paid holidays off and the majority of weekends off depending on the company/branch.

I really appreciate your immediate reply, but I didn't mention that: I LIKE how much I get to do as a GSA. It's nice running from part A to B to C, as it keeps my day from being boring and helps add the numbers up on my pedometer. I didn't specify this in my first post but I really think I'd want to kill myself in a job that seems to be as stationary as bank teller (I could be totally wrong though).

Ex tm said he didn't make much as a bank teller for Wells Fargo. He said he was making $11 after a few years.

A young man from my store went to work for a bank back in 2009. Now, he's 25 and relocated to FL and is making a very generous wage. He was a trainer all over the US educating bank employees on a new system. Just because you start out as a teller doesn't mean you will remain as one.
(My mom has suggested this teller job to me several times and I too would be bored as hell!)

But of course... it's a great gig!!! Seeing a clean lot and restrooms - a full cartwell... what could be better? Speedweaving guests? I think not!

That hasn't really (knock wood) a problem for me.

Real estate agent? Outside of other retail jobs, I'm not sure what a GSA would consider comparable.

I only suggest real estate because it requires good customer service skills, which is pretty much a must for a GSA. They can make bank, too.

I'm not sure you are still interested in retail, but you can look into shift-level and assistant managerial positions at other retailers. I currently work as an AM for a seasonal retailer just off my GSA experience alone. And I was only GSA for 6 months. Bear in mind that, although you weren't a TL, you did a lot of the same things your TLs did and you have some solid retail management experience from that.

I'm not sure you are still interested in retail, but you can look into shift-level and assistant managerial positions at other retailers. I currently work as an AM for a seasonal retailer just off my GSA experience alone. And I was only GSA for 6 months. Bear in mind that, although you weren't a TL, you did a lot of the same things your TLs did and you have some solid retail management experience from that.

It's funny because I have been considering whether or not straying from retail would be a good option. I get a lot of joy from helping others but Target sometimes attracts nasty people (this is true of all retail, of course). How does your new position compare? Is it as crazy? Do you run around as much or is it more supervisory?

(Congrats by the way!)

It's funny because I have been considering whether or not straying from retail would be a good option. I get a lot of joy from helping others but Target sometimes attracts nasty people (this is true of all retail, of course). How does your new position compare? Is it as crazy? Do you run around as much or is it more supervisory?

(Congrats by the way!)

Thanks! I'd say I do a mix of supervisory and regular associate work. I have a key and alarm code to my store, open/close registers, and assign tasks to associates, but other than that I do most of what regular associates do (cashiering, sales, fitting room, etc). We aren't too busy at the moment as it's still early in the season, which is nice compared to the constant running around at Target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back