Archived Required to volunteer?

• Thread starter shadwolf
  • Start date
  • Replies 41
  • Views 5K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our ETL-HR tried to shame me for not donating to United Way.
The next day I brought in letters acknowledging donations to several different charities & from my church.
I pointed out to her that most of these charities were dropped by United Way so I was compelled to help them make up the loss & UA could take care of themselves.

our district had to come up with a goal for volunteer hours and it was all out of store stuff like reading to children, we did park clean ups and stuff like that... we doubled our goal so far which is awesome I just dont agree with them expecting me to attend every single one when no other tl has ever even showed up

I wasn't happy about the pressure of the united way thing, but they paid my electric bill twice during the dark days of my divorce... Since that was $400 each time - I am giving some back weekly. I won't miss it that way and hopefully someone else gets the help they need.

(And I've cut the bill down to $225 with the ex out of the house in case you were wondering)

Car wash was a great idea, two ETL's still won't talk to me. $20 bucks for the looks of fear and horror I got when I pulled in our winter beater SUV covered in grime and mud. Being lifted(31's, puck body lift) with enough extra steel hung on it to do battle at Moab was worth every dollar. Grime was standard, but I did add some mud just for the day.

I work with a couple animal rescues, one I since can't foster(my dog does not share) I do delivery work, pick up/drop off to fosters food, the dogs if needed if they are coming into care or just to vet appointments. In the winter that 4x4 comes in real handy for it. And cash, time when I can spare it.

I have never volunteered for any event by Target and have never donated money to United Way. I am there to get a paycheck. I won't give my time away for free for Target.

Target wants you to donate because it makes them look good. If somehow donating through target didn't equal free advertising, tax breaks, and profit thereafter they wouldn't do it.

I'd rather donate of my own accord rather than through a for-profit company.

They are always pestering me to document when I help the dogs, and I do. Target isn't going to get credit for my work, though.

I had been pressured in the past about the United Way donation but not this year. The new HR ETL just gave the form and said "can you please sign it". Took about one minute to sign it and hand it in. I honestly don't know why you have to sign if you are not donating. Why would I want to willingly sacrifice a portion of my paycheck every payday?

i donate to united way because i honestly dont mind missing $1.00 out of every check and it does help some people. but i dont think you should HAVE to or be pressured into it like our old etlhr used to. my sister has had to use those services so i personally know that they do good and thats why i dont mind donating. i dont know why they require us to fill out the form even if we arent.. maybe proof that they gave everyone the option?

This thread reminded me that I haven't filled out the United Way thing. Can anything happen i I don't fill it out? I hadn't planned on donating anything but I feel that if I don't put a zero they'll start taking money

The first year was so new, they didn't ask me...and they took money (not legal, but who the hell cares).

This past year another TM put zero and they took money.

Apparently this is not uncommon at my store...so I don't think it matters if you fill it out or not...if they want to put you down for a dollar a paycheck until you figure it out and stop it, they'll do it.

Target wants you to donate because it makes them look good. If somehow donating through target didn't equal free advertising, tax breaks, and profit thereafter they wouldn't do it.

I'd rather donate of my own accord rather than through a for-profit company.

They are always pestering me to document when I help the dogs, and I do. Target isn't going to get credit for my work, though.

Target does get credit in that they can say that our TMs volunteered over (pick your number) hours last year.

One of the RED magazines used to have one issue dedicated to all TMs who volunteered in the previous year. The top 10 or 20 people who have volunteered the most hours get to go for a Target Volunteer Week...a couple of years ago the highest volunteers got to spend a week at the Target House at St. Jude's Hospital.

i donate to united way because i honestly dont mind missing $1.00 out of every check and it does help some people. but i dont think you should HAVE to or be pressured into it like our old etlhr used to. my sister has had to use those services so i personally know that they do good and thats why i dont mind donating. i dont know why they require us to fill out the form even if we arent.. maybe proof that they gave everyone the option?

Yes. Even by signing Target can then say that ___% of our TMs gave to United Way.

This way they can say 99% of our TMs participated in the donation for the United Way. Yes, 99% participation sounds great, doesn't it?? By being able to say they've 99% participation looks really good for Target. This way they look really good...99%....even if only 2% gave money they can still say 99% participation rate.
Trust me, Spot knows how to make Target look good.
One of the things going on is how Target is giving away items for school children. You know, buy some special Up & Up product and Target gives their part.
Don't forget the $4 million dollars that they donate weekly....they don't focus on the fact that the $4 million dollars doesn't go to Target employees...each and every week.

If I donate to or volunteer for anyone, it will not be at Target's behest. It's a very personal thing, and it doesn't feel right to have Target skimming credit off of that.

Our volunteer events are posted AFTER the schedules have gone up so not too many of the commoners are able to take off.
The last event I helped with was a park clean-up.
The ETLs & the cute popular ones horsed around, took pics of each other while the rest of us worked. At the end, They piled up the trash bags & took a group shot with the ETLs & cute TMs in the middle. When it was posted at the store, the rest of us were cropped out.
Last event I ever volunteered for.

I volunteered to work on one of the major projects where they redid a school library in the Bronx.
Me, books, school, urban youth, perfect combo tight?
I was on the list to work the first day, used vacation time to take the day off, and set up a ride since I don't drive.

That morning as I was waiting at the store for the group to leave, I noticed it was only ETLs and TLs.
Then they told me there was too many people and I wasn't on the list anymore.

Sorry, no one told me the STL said.

Yeah, never volunteered for another thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back