Archived Self-Checkout coming soon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey when you ask for the last 4 digits of the credit card they used have you ever had someone give you the last 4 digits of their social security number? I have and more than once.. I tell them that they shouldn't be giving that number out to freely. It just goes to show you that people don't listen
I don't ask - I ask for the card. The point is to verify the numbers on the front match the numbers on the back, and that you verified them. Even if they tell me them I tell then I need the card to verify and enter them.

Hey when you ask for the last 4 digits of the credit card they used have you ever had someone give you the last 4 digits of their social security number? I have and more than once.. I tell them that they shouldn't be giving that number out to freely. It just goes to show you that people don't listen
I don't ask - I ask for the card. The point is to verify the numbers on the front match the numbers on the back, and that you verified them. Even if they tell me them I tell then I need the card to verify and enter them.

Yep. This. There was an urgent news about this earlier this summer that cashiers were actually just having people "read" off the number instead of punching it in. Of course all this does is let criminals give you the number in the strip, and not the number on the card, completely circumventing the reason we're supposed to be the ones looking at the card and entering in the number to begin with.

$50?! So basically between all of this, please tell me there is a dedicated person babysitting these lanes. The GSA would be tied to those things the entire time we are open, otherwise, and ain't nobody got time for that!

My old store started self checkout probably four years ago as a test store for the program. They would assign a cashier to watch over the self checkout. And I think that any TM can override on self checkout because I don't recall ever having to call the GSTL/GSA over when I was assigned self checkout duties. I could be wrong and I always just got lucky with things I knew how to handle though.

8670532016_4956683dc8_o.jpg

Weird. Everything looks new and shiny, except that bag sticker, looks old as shit, like they peeled it off something it'd been stuck to for years and put it pn that register instead.

Retail girl. Yes it's 50.00 and gstl is there most of the time spinning putting their numbers is constantly. CANT THEY CALABRATE THE SCALE?????
If we have enough cashiers one will be on the sco but we have not even had enough to cover shifts for ringing let alone to cover sco.

I don't ask for the number I tell them I need the last for digits if their card. And make sure I see the card. Even though if they give me different numbers then the card they used, the sale won't process. I have gotten into the habit of saying the machines randomly pick because otherwise I have to here the guests at self check out complaining that it's not self check out if you have to come over here.
I think I remember last holiday season they raised the amount to 400.00 before we had to ask. Wonder if they will do the same this year?

It was always $400 before the credit debacle as far as I am aware, it was then lowered to $200, which is sane, but $50 is insanely low.

It was always $400 before the credit debacle as far as I am aware, it was then lowered to $200, which is sane, but $50 is insanely low.

We used to have to check ID if the total was at least $200 and we'd have to enter the last 4 digits of the card number if it was at least $400.

I don't recall that being the case, infact I'm pretty sure we were explicitly told to NOT check for ID.

is this taken where you live or another store cause I know you're in my area and if some stores are getting it in this district...
It was taken in Kansas City, Missouri in April 2013.

Yeah, I took the pics from Flickr, because, I thought everyone might wanna see a better look at them. I have to admit, I think they look promising.

I don't recall that being the case, infact I'm pretty sure we were explicitly told to NOT check for ID.

The card issuers threw a fit about it, so Target had to end this practice. Apparently, it's a sin to try to prevent credit card fraud.

Alright, so my store has had these for a little over a month now. A quick rundown/rumor mill clarification:
  • For CCs, it prompts for $200 plus. You have to come over an manually enter the number. Same with ID stuff, just type in their birthday
  • No overrides necessary for Target Coupons. Took $10 off a purchase the other day (for good reason) and GSA didn't even know til I told her. I could even get into the money if I had keys.
  • Can do Cartwheel with hand scanner
  • Ours have lights that flash at the top of them when there's problems.
  • My least favorite thing: the bagging area is INCREDIBLY sensitive. I once put a coupon on it and it yelled at me.
  • Guests are incompetent using it, but hey, babysitting them is much better than cashiering!
  • Other than that, it's a generally smooth experience. Better than ones I've used at grocery stores.
If you guys have any questions, let me know!

Alright, so my store has had these for a little over a month now. A quick rundown/rumor mill clarification:
  • For CCs, it prompts for $200 plus. You have to come over an manually enter the number. Same with ID stuff, just type in their birthday
  • No overrides necessary for Target Coupons. Took $10 off a purchase the other day (for good reason) and GSA didn't even know til I told her. I could even get into the money if I had keys.
  • Can do Cartwheel with hand scanner
  • Ours have lights that flash at the top of them when there's problems.
  • My least favorite thing: the bagging area is INCREDIBLY sensitive. I once put a coupon on it and it yelled at me.
  • Guests are incompetent using it, but hey, babysitting them is much better than cashiering!
  • Other than that, it's a generally smooth experience. Better than ones I've used at grocery stores.
If you guys have any questions, let me know!
Yours still prompt at 200.00? Ours dropped to 50.00 about a month ago..
It's not any target coupons it's when it's a target coupon that the guest gets in the mail and they haven't purchased the right quantity.
Cartwheel worked when we first got the scanner but doesn't anymore.
Guests are incompetent using them and when you go over to help, they say - this isn't very fast - I am so tempted to say, it's only as fast as the person using it.
Lately when we have to turn them off and back on I see it says windows xp is loading instead of windows 7 which was the upgrade a few months ago. So my assumption is that when they recently did an upgrade, a downgrade was done by mistake. Hopefully, whatever they were doing to the registers yesterday fixed the problems.. Lol, I'm funny.

We have iPods now. Hook those up with a card reader and a checkout app and set me loose. I will gladly come up to backup if all I need to do is checkout guests with a few items and are paying with a credit card. Set up a portable printer or two with receipt paper and we are good to go. Hell, even Sam's club can ring up an order with a portable hand scanner, suspend the transaction, and then bring it back up when you actually get to the cashier.

Seriously, this is soon to be 2015. We should not be using these "portable" registers. It's not really portable if I'm going to have to plug it in and wait for it to reboot every time I want to move it. That's just a stationary POS on wheels.

As a guest, I love self checkout and find it extremely convenient. But I imagine it'll be a nightmare to run and I hope my store never gets it.

Anyone have any updated info on these? I am specifically hoping to hear about any problems with the current software these things are running on. Also, how have the hours for cashiers been affected at your store. Thanks!

Good news, if your store has IGS and a limited number of lanes (think 13 including IGS)...

You either won't be getting self checkout, or you'll get self checkout with the removal of IGS and rebuild an actual guest service desk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back