Archived Starbucks Training Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kartman

MasterBlaster (User has passed away)
I posted in the SB Leaders, but I think this topic deserves it's own thread.

What is the best way to prepare to become a SB Barista?

I checked the starbuckfaster.com site... it's cool and all but...

I'd like to learn more.

I want to learn/know ALL of it.

KrRyjAP.gif

Please school this handsome fellow.

*Start looking over basic recipes while looking at a register menu screen: Each type of drink has its basic assembly. Everything else is just add-ons/variations of the basics.
*Follow your AST training: Since you will be part of the FIRST Starbucks team, you'll be setting the standard for your team. You'll learn the drink codes to write on the cup, order of assembling a drink (don't pull shots before steaming the milk - they'll taste burnt), similarities/differences for Steritech, equipment maintenance & cleaning schedules, etc.
*Always remember to 'write the cup before you ring up': Take the order on the side of the cup FIRST so you know HOW they want their drink prepared. Ringing it up doesn't contain nearly the amt of details other than type of drink, kind of milk, extras or toppings.
In the Starbucks guide is a list of the most common drink codes to glance over.
There's plenty more but I'll let the pros weigh in.

I hope my brain doesn't explode.

Remember how you felt when first learning Food Ave? Very similar in learning style.
You'll learn how to steam milk & pull shots for a basic latte; then you add vanilla syrup & you have a vanilla.
Add mocha & a bit of whip, you have a mocha latte & so on.

I was a bartender for many years.

Remember how you felt when first learning Food Ave? Very similar in learning style.
You'll learn how to steam milk & pull shots for a basic latte; then you add vanilla syrup & you have a vanilla.
Add mocha & a bit of whip, you have a mocha latte & so on.
Man. Now I want a vanilla latte.

I have to Google what a latte is! And what you're pulling shots out of for that matter.

At least with FA I know what a hot dog and pizza are...LOL.

I have to Google what a latte is! And what you're pulling shots out of for that matter.
Your espresso machine has a steaming wand that you put inside a steel pitcher to steam milk; while that's going you put the cup (that you marked with the guest's drink instructions) under the jet for shots (ground, compacted espresso beans with boiling water run thru to produce a coffee concentrate).
You want to time it so the milk is finished steaming as the espresso shots are finished.
If it's a latte, you pour the steamed milk into the espresso shots while holding the foam back with a spoon; finish by adding a spoon of foam on top then cap, sleeve & serve.
If it's a cappuccino, just pour it in foam & all.

Thanks! Unfortunately, your kind reply just generated more things for me to Google, like what exactly a cappuccino is. Seriously, I have no clue! Always made me wonder how I was chosen to cover SB breaks when all I could provide was black coffee and pastries.

Jan 16 is FA's last day.

Thanks! Unfortunately, your kind reply just generated more things for me to Google, like what exactly a cappuccino is. Seriously, I have no clue! Always made me wonder how I was chosen to cover SB breaks when all I could provide was black coffee and pastries.
Cappuccino = latte in regard to ingredients; the difference is how they're poured.
Cappuccino - frothy milk poured freely; latte - spoon held over the foam so milk pours into the espresso followed by a spoon of foam on top to keep the drink hot (unless guest requests 'no foam').

All that shit sounds so stoopid.

Why?

Part of it is people who like European-style drinks & part of it is people who are pretentious snobs.

Part of it is people have heard of cappuccino, and they don't know what to order, so they order that.

Morons.

Gimme some Taster's Choice and I'm a happy camper.

Isn't Starbucks making us free pour all lattes now? I remember my DM talking about it and needing to train my team on it.

It's in the Now Brewing. There is a video to watch. Steam as for a flat white. Still use a spoon for drinks with whip or no foam. I'm telling my team that they should keep using a spoon until they feel confident about it.

Free pour?

Spoons???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back