Archived Store interns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our intern is shadowing our ETL-GE. She seems to be picking up her terrible attitude lately... The girl helps out up front a little, which I appreciate. But there are times I've asked her for help when I really needed it and she basically straight up refused to or made up a quick excuse. Meanwhile, I've got myself and one cashier with no backup available and a line of guests going back into softlines. Guest Service and Food Ave are closed after 8 and of course a guest comes in asking to pick up an online order while my Guest Service TM is on break. And she and apparently no one else isn't willing to help. I think she does an okay job when she does work, but I've only ever seen her follow our ETL-GE like she's her shadow. Our old interns would do some independent work sometimes, but I've never seen her by herself unless she's on a lane for a few minutes. She also tries too hard to be loud and nice with guests that it just makes me cringe because she's so obviously fake. She also used a forced southern accent. We're in Texas, yes, but good lord. It shouldn't be that thick of an accent that even I notice it.

We have two interns right now. Intern #1 seems fine, less frantic than the ETL he's shadowing. Haven't had to deal with him much.

Intern #2 seems very impressionable, and is paired with an ETL who has a god-awful way of speaking to TMs. I personally haven't had a run-in with the ETL, but I'm waiting for Intern #2 to come at me sideways with some snarky comment. Bro, I've been here for over 2 years and I know what I'm doing, what's expected of me, and how to manage my tasks and time effectively. Go push around some kid on the sales floor, because I don't need your input.

God our intern was so bad, she actually got fired. She was recommended by one of our ETL's who happens to be the laziest of the bunch. She just lazed around talking to people. Tried to get out of pulls and anything that required more than a little physical effort.

Some interns just have a fake power trip. Like literally they think they are above the TMs or TLs. They need to take SEVERAL seats.

God our intern was so bad, she actually got fired. She was recommended by one of our ETL's who happens to be the laziest of the bunch. She just lazed around talking to people. Tried to get out of pulls and anything that required more than a little physical effort.
We had one fired once too. You have to really suck as an intern to get fired.

I'm a hate me or love me type person in and out of work lol. So what needs to be done I try to get done and if I feel like I'm working harder than my team then instead of beating around the bush I just come straight out and say hey you're being lazy.....when I was a TM I always had TLs that would never tell me if I was messing up or if they thought I wasn't doing anything but they'd tell everyone else what they thought about me. So I said when I got this position if i saw something or someone was slacking, instead of beating around the bush I'd nip it in the bud immediately. I feel like you gain more respect that way.

Wishing you were at my store! I liked our interns at first, but now they've changed to develop arrogant attitudes.
I wanna go to all of your stores for all the wrong reasons lol. Obviously the interns don't have anything to do there and I've been busting my ass for the past 9 wks lol:p

If you're hired for an ETL position you're technically an EIT until you finish business college and officially placed in a store, and usually ETLs already have a degree. Interns are usually still in school, although I guess some districts could call an extended intern an EIT. I haven't heard of that though.
We've had several interns finish businesses college then get placed in a store temp until a regular spot opens. They always say they are still eit, not etl. The last one even had a brain so I trust him to not fudge the truth.

We've had several interns finish businesses college then get placed in a store temp until a regular spot opens. They always say they are still eit, not etl. The last one even had a brain so I trust him to not fudge the truth.
Well an EIT is technically an ETL and they're only supposed to be EITs for the 10wks of business college. There are extended interns who are considered interns until they graduate college though.

I was an extended intern (for the last two semesters of my senior year). I worked alongside another intern at my store, and we both fit in really well with the team. One of the biggest issues interns run into is knowing how to be assertive when it's necessary. Most feel they lack the seniority or lack team member respect to call the shots, especially since they're still college kids who are typically brand new to target.

The ones that you've described (I've not run into them in my district) sound like they're heading down the wrong path with the internship program. They're the exact stereotype tm's make them out to be (arrogant college kids trying to boss them around). This is NOT what the internship program is about. You're there to learn how to manage a work center first and foremost. But first impressions are very important, and these interns, if they receive an ETL position, decide to pull the same behavior and attitude new in role at their store, they won't have a successful time with Target.

I just graduated two months ago from college with a B.A. in Accounting. This is not the job I would ever expect to go into out of college, but Target made an offer I couldn't refuse. Money isn't everything, but I have loved what I've been doing at Target over the past year, so I'm sticking with it for now. I'm about to start my 6 weeks of business college next week and will be tackling a Logistics role. My time has been with sales floor/GE, so it'll be a change, but I look forward to it.

If you ever have questions, please feel free to shoot me a DM.

Yeah. We've had good and bad interns over the years, but the few extended interns we've had have been disasters (none of them interned at our store). I have no idea what they learned at their stores.

I was an extended intern (for the last two semesters of my senior year). I worked alongside another intern at my store, and we both fit in really well with the team. One of the biggest issues interns run into is knowing how to be assertive when it's necessary. Most feel they lack the seniority or lack team member respect to call the shots, especially since they're still college kids who are typically brand new to target.

The ones that you've described (I've not run into them in my district) sound like they're heading down the wrong path with the internship program. They're the exact stereotype tm's make them out to be (arrogant college kids trying to boss them around). This is NOT what the internship program is about. You're there to learn how to manage a work center first and foremost. But first impressions are very important, and these interns, if they receive an ETL position, decide to pull the same behavior and attitude new in role at their store, they won't have a successful time with Target.

I just graduated two months ago from college with a B.A. in Accounting. This is not the job I would ever expect to go into out of college, but Target made an offer I couldn't refuse. Money isn't everything, but I have loved what I've been doing at Target over the past year, so I'm sticking with it for now. I'm about to start my 6 weeks of business college next week and will be tackling a Logistics role. My time has been with sales floor/GE, so it'll be a change, but I look forward to it.

If you ever have questions, please feel free to shoot me a DM.
Which leads me to my next question that none of my ETLs wanna answer but I'm dying to know. How much is an ETL worth? because I don't wanna be cheapskated during my job offer but at the same time I don't wanna be money hungry....but I have bills and I like to enjoy myself every now and then.

Which leads me to my next question that none of my ETLs wanna answer but I'm dying to know. How much is an ETL worth? because I don't wanna be cheapskated during my job offer but at the same time I don't wanna be money hungry....but I have bills and I like to enjoy myself every now and then.

It'll depend on your district/location. Some places will pay higher, some lower, depends on how much volume the district handles. I would expect you to receive an offer within the range of 50-60K. Glassdoor is a good reference too. There's usually no room for negotiation, it's pretty set in stone.

I keep in contact with the interns that were in my orientation class and a lot of them said that they are having problems interacting and working with TMs at the stores they're at. If you have interns at your store how are they getting along with the team and what are you seeing that they can improve on to adjust?
We got an intern not long ago. She's working out well, really nice and likes to learn. Can't say I have any complaints about her.

Last year we had an intern that didn't work out so well. She immediately tried to be bossy and had a major superiority complex that lead her out the door fast. Never heard anything about her once she left, doubt she got promoted within the company.

Last year we had an intern that didn't work out so well. She immediately tried to be bossy and had a major superiority complex that lead her out the door fast. Never heard anything about her once she left, doubt she got promoted within the company.

I just can't understand where people get the audacity to come in, brand new to a position, and try to act like they own the place. When I went through the internship we were literally told "get to know your team members and build relationships!" How do you begin bossing people around when you barely know what you're doing? I wouldn't even feel totally qualified after the 6 weeks of business college. I'm going to at least take it easy the first month, then I'll start bossing people around and firing at will, but jeez, immediately? (minor sarcasm).

The interns in our store are learning how to be an ETL from the bestest. Their adapting so well that they freely walk around with their Starbucks cups now too!

They're incredibly useless at our store. They're just learning from afar. Absolutely no hands-on.

We don't have any interns this year, but we had two last year.
#1 was a TPS before hand at another store (he was actually my primary trainer when I was hired), so he was awesome and really worked hard. He was paired up with our awful ETL-GE before she got transfered, but he didn't pick up any of her bad habits. He became an extended intern throughout the fall semester before he graduated and he's now the ETL-AP at another store in the district.
Intern #2 was paired with my ETL, at the same time she was training another EIT, but he (the intern) was terrible. The first thing he did was completely reorganize the office, label things like the walkies (and happened to give him sf the best one...), and tried assigning us to different computers. He was never interested in learning anything about AP, he even tried giving me and the APS orders while we were busy following someone, blew a couple of apps by walking by a subject, his walkie on channel six at full volume, would seek out and talk to the APS in the middle of the store while she was near shady people, and was just a bother in general.
In addition he would call out every weekend shift, and pulled at least one no call no show every other week. He was shown the door about two weeks before the end of the internship.

ETL interns will always difficulty interacting with TMs at the store they are training at, TMs who aren't happy with their own store management are going to have a passive aggressive attitude towards them because they know they won't be there for long.
A lot of interns realize this, which is why they usually just ignore TMs and stick with being buddies with ETLs they are training with.
Now that I think about it the AP TMs that train at our store do the exact same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back