Archived Talent Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
So once again I'm not going to Talent Day. Yes, I'm pouting. Is it true that Brand TMs don't go to TD because they've already been promoted? I'm pretty sure Brand TMs have gone to TD in my store.

I've seen it mentioned, but not sure exactly what it is.

Hope to hear from someone who knows about this. I'm having a very rough day at work because of this.

I found this: "talent development days are a monthly opportunity for a number of ETLs (Executive Team Leaders) to join the DTL and hosting STLs in a day of developmental activities geared at teaching, training and developing each leader through activities such as:

–Store visits to neighboring Target stores to assess wins, opportunities and fresh perspectives.

–Roundtable discussions surrounding leadership tools and new company/store initiatives.

–Mock interviews."

And this from a poster here: "
This was a common thing in my area for TLs who were interested in moving up. There was a monthly (sometimes only quarterly) meeting where TLs/Sr.TLs and ETLs/STLs from around the district would get together and do sort of mini-mock interviews, discuss leadership strategies, etc., all aimed at helping people get ready for the next step in their Target careers, just as you've described. They would also use the Talent Days to establish mentor/mentee relationships between TLs/Sr.s and ETLs/STLs from other stores, and then have followup emails/meetings, blah blah etc.

I don't recall ever seeing one for TMs, but it makes sense. I'm sure the specific content won't be quite the same (since your current role is much different from a TL/Sr.TL's), but the basic idea will be: discussing how to make yourselves better at what you do, how to find and take on extra responsibilities, how to prepare for the responsibilities of your desired next step (and the interview for it), etc. I wouldn't be surprised if they even do the mentorship thing. I'd imagine your Day will be TMs meeting primarily with TLs though, as opposed to primarily execs. It just makes more sense.

(Disclaimer: I never actually attended one of these meetings, as I never had a desire to become an exec. But plenty of my peers went to (and subsequently complained about) them through the years.)"

Our ETLs @ STL do our talent days. They pick TMs that "have potential" so they can be "developed." They practice interviewing and it's all about becoming a TL. My question is specifically about Brand TMs going to TD. I know we've had Brand TMs go to it. I was told Brand TMs don't need to go because they have already been promoted to Brand. That isn't what TD is about. It's about being groomed for TL. I'm afraid they lied to me. Again.

Does anybody esle remember back when Target offered training modules you could sign up to attend at stores through out yout district? For leadership you were expected to attend but, team members could sign up as well to help get on track to get promoted. Of course that was way back when Target had training.

I never understood why we are paying people for interview prep. Promote or don't promote. But the interview does not guarantee anything. And I don't understand why we are using valuable store hours to prep someone for an interview.

To add insult to injury, while the "special" TMs were all having their day they were pulling us to cover for them. I had so much work to do but had to cover Guest Service for an hour so the nitwit working there could do her last interview. Ugh!

@BullseyeBabe - you can participate. Talent Day is used for TMs to prep for TL interviews, TLs to prep for ETL interviews, and ETLs to prep for STL interviews. If they want you on the bench they'll start prepping you for the appropriate interview. Some TDs are at your store, some are held at another store, and some are held at the group office.

@BullseyeBabe - you can participate. Talent Day is used for TMs to prep for TL interviews, TLs to prep for ETL interviews, and ETLs to prep for STL interviews. If they want you on the bench they'll start prepping you for the appropriate interview. Some TDs are at your store, some are held at another store, and some are held at the group office.
Thank you. I am a Brand TM now so I guess I just need to learn as much as I can and try to strive for excellence. It would mean a lot to me to be invited to TD.

I guess I'm going to this later this month? What is there really to expect? I've heard two high potential leaders from each store in the district will be attending. And the group and region leaders will also be there.

Does anybody esle remember back when Target offered training modules you could sign up to attend at stores through out yout district? For leadership you were expected to attend but, team members could sign up as well to help get on track to get promoted. Of course that was way back when Target had training.
Omg! That was years ago! I used to go as a TL.

I am going to go as an extreme couponer. I have a kate gosselin chicken hairdo and i put a bumper sticker on my car that says My Cat is an Honor Student at Columbus School for Girls. I am going to wear a pair of elastic waist jeans. I have a really cute coupon holder covered with mininons to carry all my fake coupons, and I am going to get a huge domed drink at starbucks with drizzle and whipped cream and chocolate shavings .
Watch for me! I may be coming to your store next! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back