MEGATHREAD Target myDevices

Mine kept disconnecting from the Internet "tgtwireless" that we use for MyDevice and wouldn't reconnect. This happened on 3 devices. I'm not using them for a while now.

Also flow at my store gets to use them. I expect half to be broken by 2015

I just thought of a cool idea...

Fingerprint Login...
I've caught myself putting my fingerprint on it, only to realize I'm not using my phone. And I've caught myself (trying) to unlock my phone with the passcode for the iPods...

This happens to me daily now that it's just the four numbers. I am half tempted to change my phone's passcode to match.

My (stupid & pointless solution) to the REDwire & myWork log out problem? Set the clock for 14 minutes. And every fourteen minutes I scan something in myWork... seriously- anything... and refresh the alerts in REDwire. It is Ridiculous that I have to do this... but otherwise, I don't get alerts I need to do my job properly and waste guests time when I go to search for a product for them, or try to tell them a price!

These new devices are pretty cool as long as you have a steady wifi connection. If not all you see is a blank page.. Also, it's kind of annoying to have to constantly sign back in if the device is unused for a SHORT period of time.. Other than that, I have no complaints lol.

The mydevices have potential, however, they have a LOT of work to do.

1) They really need to lengthen the duration that the system takes to log you out due to inactivity. It is beyond incredibly tedious and beyond incredibly unproductive to have to key your TM# and password a million times on such a tiny screen in order to get into redwire or scan anything app just because you didn't touch the device for a few minutes. The auto log out time needs to be extended to 30 minutes or preferably 1 hour. 15 minutes being the maximum time is a joke.

2) The device needs to allow the users to choose the alert sounds. I changed every single sound setting and ringer type I could find to a particular sound file already loaded on the mydevice which I found to be actually audible, and yet that stupid coin sound still plays when there's an alert. The problem with this is that even with the volume level maxed out, it is difficult to actually hear when in the holster, and with my attention usually on something else, I need a louder or lengthier sound or a combination of both in order to actually hear the alerts. If the coin sound is going to be forced down our throats, the volume REALLY needs to be raised.

3) When backroom compatibility rolls out, SUBT and STO need to end up being in the same application, otherwise, the absolute nightmare of not being productive in the backroom due to separate applications will continue.

4) Stand Alone Research seems to be present, however, once you've zeroed something out, you can't go back in a mydevice and add more to your total if you find more of said DPCI later on in the same day. For the mydevice, it simply is zero until tomorrow and you have to log into a PDA in order to reflect what you've actually found during the same day, as with the PDA you can continue to add eaches of any given DPCI if you find more.

5) Am I wrong or do they auto drop batches? That's stupid. We don't always need POG fills on carry over sales planners. The names of the batches need to be customized by the user.

It would just seem to me that Target likes to go backwards in doing things even though they think they're moving forward. It's not to say that we can't improve our processes, but they seem to like to undo certain processes that were just fine in favor of what they believe are superior versions, however are ultimately inferior. It's like that they implement change for the sake of implementing change and that's it. It really is mind blowing, to be honest. Maybe certain people have to justify having a job at corporate and so they think of things that aren't necessarily productive just to say they did something to earn their check? Or maybe the people in charge don't have enough of an understanding of how the stores work so they just implement any hair brain scheme that pops into their head without actually thinking it through. What a company.

What about the new instocks process from this past year of only scanning non dotted outs? How stupid. To never, ever have a day during instocks that we scan all outs, including dotted merchandise... well, that assumes perfection at the DC, and perfection at the store. And it assumes perfect followup by leadership who are too tasked to actually follow up on bull crap like that due to the implementation of 4x4s and short staffing.

Now I'm just ranting, hahaha...

1) LOGOUT: Yes; everybody agrees it's a mess right now. Here's how it's supposed to work...
  • After 2 minutes, the iPod "auto-locks" (goes dark) to save battery.
    • Because of this forum, I'm researching making this longer or at least configurable (so you can set it how you want it). More to come...
    • In one of the beta stores, it was set to "never" auto-lock and the iPods were all dead within a few hours.
  • After 15 minutes, a passcode (Store #) is required to unlock the iPod.
  • After 2 hours of inactivity, apps log the user out completely. (This is clearly busted right now and lots of people are trying to fix it).
2a) VOLUME: Yes; many agree the iPods should be louder... but we're kinda limited there.
2b) SOUNDS: It's important that the sounds are consistent, or at least that they default to a "standard" sound after the user logs off. Unfortunately, much like the iPod's wallpaper, eventually every iPod would emit different sounds for different things because it can't "reset" to default sounds after a user logs off. The iPod saves the last user's settings.

3) Yes; SUBT & STO will be in the myWork app. STO is actually very, very simple. Just scan the stockroom location and takes the item you last scanned and stows it into that location. SUBT will show up as a "take" button next to the stockroom locations (like the "add" button next to the sales floor locations). Touch that button and it acts like SUBT.

4) INSTOCKS: This one's a bit complicated because we learned that how the system actually works (with the PDAs) is different than what it appears. Sometimes it replaces the count you entered and sometimes it adds to what you entered. What it shows on the PDA screen is different than what the system actually did. So, step 1 was to make the myWork app behave the way the back end system works... next, we'll fix all that. TIP: Other users can "Research" things you've already counted and their counts will override yours. That's one way to get around that issue for now.

5) BATCHES: I think fill batches auto close after like 15 minutes. (Or maybe it's an hour; I forget). New POG Fills are created automatically when POGs are tied. There's lot of opinions on this one... and I'm gonna stay out of it :)

ALL ELSE: I've been around a while here and feel many of the same things you're saying. I've worked in lots of areas (including stores), and I'm learning that everything changes. If it doesn't change, then the name probably will :) This isn't because "Target" is trying to move backwards or because people at corporate are trying to justify their existence. It's because everybody is just trying to do a good job, but the people are constantly changing. In that way, Target (as an employer) feels more like an institution or University that people pass through. Some (like me) stay longer than others. Today, Target isn't run by the same people who ran it even 3 years ago, and new people bring new perspectives and priorities. In some cases, new people come up with bad ideas (like "system lead sign audit" - yuck!). But then, even newer people come in do away with sign audit and the scan up/down process entirely. I'm sure in a few years, someone new will come up with a "great idea" where we put barcodes on signs and scan them into salesfloor locations. (J/K... hopefully) :)

PS: Connecting time-clock or HR info to the login is in the works... but it's a big deal on the system side. So, give it a year or two. :(

1) They really need to lengthen the duration that the system takes to log you out due to inactivity. It is beyond incredibly tedious and beyond incredibly unproductive to have to key your TM# and password a million times on such a tiny screen in order to get into redwire or scan anything app just because you didn't touch the device for a few minutes. The auto log out time needs to be extended to 30 minutes or preferably 1 hour. 15 minutes being the maximum time is a joke.

2) The device needs to allow the users to choose the alert sounds. I changed every single sound setting and ringer type I could find to a particular sound file already loaded on the mydevice which I found to be actually audible, and yet that stupid coin sound still plays when there's an alert. The problem with this is that even with the volume level maxed out, it is difficult to actually hear when in the holster, and with my attention usually on something else, I need a louder or lengthier sound or a combination of both in order to actually hear the alerts. If the coin sound is going to be forced down our throats, the volume REALLY needs to be raised.

3) When backroom compatibility rolls out, SUBT and STO need to end up being in the same application, otherwise, the absolute nightmare of not being productive in the backroom due to separate applications will continue.

4) Stand Alone Research seems to be present, however, once you've zeroed something out, you can't go back in a mydevice and add more to your total if you find more of said DPCI later on in the same day. For the mydevice, it simply is zero until tomorrow and you have to log into a PDA in order to reflect what you've actually found during the same day, as with the PDA you can continue to add eaches of any given DPCI if you find more.

5) Am I wrong or do they auto drop batches? That's stupid. We don't always need POG fills on carry over sales planners. The names of the batches need to be customized by the user.

It would just seem to me that Target likes to go backwards in doing things even though they think they're moving forward. It's not to say that we can't improve our processes, but they seem to like to undo certain processes that were just fine in favor of what they believe are superior versions, however are ultimately inferior. It's like that they implement change for the sake of implementing change and that's it. It really is mind blowing, to be honest. Maybe certain people have to justify having a job at corporate and so they think of things that aren't necessarily productive just to say they did something to earn their check? Or maybe the people in charge don't have enough of an understanding of how the stores work so they just implement any hair brain scheme that pops into their head without actually thinking it through. What a company.

What about the new instocks process from this past year of only scanning non dotted outs? How stupid. To never, ever have a day during instocks that we scan all outs, including dotted merchandise... well, that assumes perfection at the DC, and perfection at the store. And it assumes perfect followup by leadership who are too tasked to actually follow up on bull crap like that due to the implementation of 4x4s and short staffing.

1) LOGOUT: Yes; everybody agrees it's a mess right now. Here's how it's supposed to work...
    • Because of this forum, I'm researching making this longer or at least configurable (so you can set it how you want it). More to come...
    • In one of the beta stores, it was set to "never" auto-lock and the iPods were all dead within a few hours.
  • After 2 hours of inactivity, apps log the user out completely. (This is clearly busted right now and lots of people are trying to fix it).
2a) VOLUME: Yes; many agree the iPods should be louder... but we're kinda limited there.
2b) SOUNDS: It's important that the sounds are consistent, or at least that they default to a "standard" sound after the user logs off. Unfortunately, much like the iPod's wallpaper, eventually every iPod would emit different sounds for different things because it can't "reset" to default sounds after a user logs off. The iPod saves the last user's settings.

3) Yes; SUBT & STO will be in the myWork app. STO is actually very, very simple. Just scan the stockroom location and takes the item you last scanned and stows it into that location. SUBT will show up as a "take" button next to the stockroom locations (like the "add" button next to the sales floor locations). Touch that button and it acts like SUBT.

4) INSTOCKS: This one's a bit complicated because we learned that how the system actually works (with the PDAs) is different than what it appears. Sometimes it replaces the count you entered and sometimes it adds to what you entered. What it shows on the PDA screen is different than what the system actually did. So, step 1 was to make the myWork app behave the way the back end system works... next, we'll fix all that. TIP: Other users can "Research" things you've already counted and their counts will override yours. That's one way to get around that issue for now.

5) BATCHES: I think fill batches auto close after like 15 minutes. (Or maybe it's an hour; I forget). New POG Fills are created automatically when POGs are tied. There's lot of opinions on this one... and I'm gonna stay out of it :)

ALL ELSE: I've been around a while here and feel many of the same things you're saying. I've worked in lots of areas (including stores), and I'm learning that everything changes. If it doesn't change, then the name probably will :) This isn't because "Target" is trying to move backwards or because people at corporate are trying to justify their existence. It's because everybody is just trying to do a good job, but the people are constantly changing. In that way, Target (as an employer) feels more like an institution or University that people pass through. Some (like me) stay longer than others. Today, Target isn't run by the same people who ran it even 3 years ago, and new people bring new perspectives and priorities. In some cases, new people come up with bad ideas (like "system lead sign audit" - yuck!). But then, even newer people come in do away with sign audit and the scan up/down process entirely. I'm sure in a few years, someone new will come up with a "great idea" where we put barcodes on signs and scan them into salesfloor locations. (J/K... hopefully) :)

PS: Connecting time-clock or HR info to the login is in the works... but it's a big deal on the system side. So, give it a year or two. :(

Is subt999 still possible

If you're researching what the device wants you to research, it moves at an okay speed. Deviate from the list in any way? Pain in the ass.

Anybody else noticing weirdness when trying to do battery RIGs? I'll try to update the count for that location/RIG and it won't let me hit the update button. Does that little red "!" on the button. But if I cancel out, skip the rig and scan it again, it'll show that yes, the location was scanned. I should probably double-check that the count was updated though I guess. Is this some sort of overzealous drastic count thing or what?

If you're researching what the device wants you to research, it moves at an okay speed. Deviate from the list in any way? Pain in the ass.

Anybody else noticing weirdness when trying to do battery RIGs? I'll try to update the count for that location/RIG and it won't let me hit the update button. Does that little red "!" on the button. But if I cancel out, skip the rig and scan it again, it'll show that yes, the location was scanned. I should probably double-check that the count was updated though I guess. Is this some sort of overzealous drastic count thing or what?
Huh... thought I was alone on that!

Is it a Backroom mode on the device or is it under the None mode when we SUBT and STO?

I have a love hate relationship with those devices. The portability of the iPod, plus the pictures, the access to the target app and cartwheel (though still not sure why there's no generic login or something so I don't have to login to my account see the deals), Internet access (a woman thought the amope was $10 cheaper at Walgreens. I checked. Turns out it was more expensive there.)

But the login thing coupled with all those rules for the ehr password and the lack of features (sim, printing tags...) is just enough for me to not care about the good stuff.

We should just be able to use our TM Number to log-in to the Cartwheel app, instead of using our personal one.

Anyways, I used the new Ipods today on the sales floor and didn't like it very much. Couldn't figure out what App I needed to Item Search (Plus logging in to the device and each APP with eHr was a pain), so after about 10 mins or so I went back and got a PDA instead.

Last edited:

Huh... thought I was alone on that!

Go back a couple of pages, it is explained better cause I had that issue as well. Cliff version: mixed equipment(pda &mydevice) can't shoot rigs on the same item. System doesn't like it. Skip it and move on.

Very insightful! I would say the backroom functions sound exactly how I would imagine them to be. I would add the suggestion to have a "Clear and Update" button perhaps where the Ordering was in MyWork... and it can function like LOCU? Secondly, I am curious to see what Flex Full will look like on MyDevices, because literally any design changes will probably be an improvement.

Good point on changes. I think to the store side employees, everyone just sees "corporate" as an entity. So when something is rolled out by "corporate" it seems like the same minds coming up with these ideas.

These new devices are pretty cool as long as you have a steady wifi connection. If not all you see is a blank page.. Also, it's kind of annoying to have to constantly sign back in if the device is unused for a SHORT period of time.. Other than that, I have no complaints lol.

Agreed!
I don't like how at least once (if not many more times) the barcode scanner stops working and I either have to a) force close the mywork app or b) restart the my device.
We must have connectivity problems at my store too because if you haven't used it in a while and you back into mywork it says "cannot connect to tcwireless" and then quits the app. Happens ALL the time and it cycles through those same two steps often.

Is RedWire pretty unstable on the Mydevice also? Sometimes it won't do anything (blank screen) when I log in, and other times it works fine.

3) When backroom compatibility rolls out, SUBT and STO need to end up being in the same application, otherwise, the absolute nightmare of not being productive in the backroom due to separate applications will continue...

3) Yes; SUBT & STO will be in the myWork app. STO is actually very, very simple. Just scan the stockroom location and takes the item you last scanned and stows it into that location. SUBT will show up as a "take" button next to the stockroom locations (like the "add" button next to the sales floor locations). Touch that button and it acts like SUBT
Is it a Backroom mode on the device or is it under the None mode when we SUBT and STO?

Neither really. Think of it more like "add" sales floor location or "Print signs & labels". Those options are present no matter what "mode" you're in. SUBT and STO will act the same way. Just scan a backroom location to stow things (that's literally it!) or tap the new "take" button (before scanning the stockroom loc) and that'll remove the item from location. If the PULL functionality were ever added, that would likely be a new "mode" like Price Change or Research. But, putting PULL on myDevice isn't on the horizon.

3) When backroom compatibility rolls out, SUBT and STO need to end up being in the same application, otherwise, the absolute nightmare of not being productive in the backroom due to separate applications will continue...

3) Yes; SUBT & STO will be in the myWork app. STO is actually very, very simple. Just scan the stockroom location and takes the item you last scanned and stows it into that location. SUBT will show up as a "take" button next to the stockroom locations (like the "add" button next to the sales floor locations). Touch that button and it acts like SUBT

Neither really. Think of it more like "add" sales floor location or "Print signs & labels". Those options are present no matter what "mode" you're in. SUBT and STO will act the same way. Just scan a backroom location to stow things (that's literally it!) or tap the new "take" button (before scanning the stockroom loc) and that'll remove the item from location. If the PULL functionality were ever added, that would likely be a new "mode" like Price Change or Research. But, putting PULL on myDevice isn't on the horizon.
Ahhh, ok got you!

SUBT999 still work the same way though?

Constantly logging back in all day. And regular system crashes at least at our store followed by running around every few minutes to someone or a guest price check scanner when doing repacks. Nice idea just way too buggy at this point.

those my devices are horrible. Dont know if they'll be rolling out any updates but if you're stuck using them for backroom, plano or price change its an absolute nightmare. I let the salesfloor use those and i stick to the PDA.

The last couple days, I noticed I didn't get logged out as often (knock on wood). I had occasional connectivity issues, but I only had to log in if I logged out earlier or it was a large amount of time since my last activity (i.e. after my 46-min lunch).

Which network do the mydevices connect to? Please don't tell me it's the guest wifi.

Ours connect to "tcwireless." At my store, tcwireless is much worse than Target Guest Wi-Fi. The other night, I couldn't do anything on MyWork because the MyDevice wouldn't auto-connect to tcwireless, so I had to connect to it manually, then I could carry on. But yesterday, I tried to help a co-worker with this problem and had no luck. The damn thing is useless if you can't connect to tcwireless.

those my devices are horrible. Dont know if they'll be rolling out any updates but if you're stuck using them for backroom, plano or price change its an absolute nightmare. I let the salesfloor use those and i stick to the PDA.

If you're backroom, you can only use the PDAs because the MyDevices don't have backroom functions yet.

Back