MEGATHREAD Target myDevices

7 myDevices out for replacement. 2 of which I received the week before... this is getting ridiculous.

To be fair, the turnaround time for repairing/replacing a myDevice has been drastically reduced. Before it used to be weeks, now it's 7-8 days.

However, if your store monitors equipment control and holds TMs accountable, issues with the myDevices are drastically reduced. We send one out for repair about once a month.

To be fair, the turnaround time for repairing/replacing a myDevice has been drastically reduced. Before it used to be weeks, now it's 7-8 days.

However, if your store monitors equipment control and holds TMs accountable, issues with the myDevices are drastically reduced. We send one out for repair about once a month.
They are just failing. Not breaking. They just get stuck on a reboot loop.

It's a bit different than a USB A->B printer cable.

It's a USB A->RJ11 or RS232->RJ11 with the RJ11 at a 45 degree angle to the jacket. You would almost certainly have to order it from Datamax-O'Neil if Target did not have spares.

Ok I wasn't sure it was the O'Neil or a regular printer why I specified. :) You are totally correct those are harder to come by. I would just like to be able to use the MyDevice charging cables that would make life so much easier to be able to actually charge the damn thing when its dead. I could keep working.

Ok I wasn't sure it was the O'Neil or a regular printer why I specified. :) You are totally correct those are harder to come by. I would just like to be able to use the MyDevice charging cables that would make life so much easier to be able to actually charge the damn thing when its dead. I could keep working.
Yeah we'd be in big trouble none of the standard Lexmark printers in the store had working cables...

you can do that with PDAs but not with the MyDevice that title demon spawn need the whole "address" of the printer.

which makes me wonder if you could set it to print to another stores printer…… oh the hilarity that could ensue.

Yet another thing that MyDevices are inferior to PDTs in. How are we a year+ deep on these things and it still feels more like an alpha than an actual functional product?

you can do that with PDAs but not with the MyDevice that title demon spawn need the whole "address" of the printer.

which makes me wonder if you could set it to print to another stores printer…… oh the hilarity that could ensue.
Tried that before with just a random printer number as I don't know any other stores printer numbers. When I don't want to drop a label batch I type in T0000PRT0000 and it just flashes Printer Offline and I can move on.

okay so where did you find a fully charged and working myDevice that does not have a cracked screen? and I bet the scanning bit even works.

all of the video shippers we get in are so ridiculously wrong on the capacity. not 2700 mind you but in a space where 5 fit you will not be able to shove in 52.
I have but then again, we actually used firewire to charge them. Plus a little percussion maintenance on the sled.

I found an issue. There is no way to print a 3x5 white sign for a product with the regular price on it, when that product is currently on sale.

Go on signing station, search hq signs, type in dpci, & hit search. It list will all signs type on that item number. On mydevice, it is hit or miss. Use select all options & try generic.

Is there a way to find "missing label"? We used to be able to do it with a PDA but it was taken out. Is there a way in the MyDevice?

Don't know if you have already solved this problem... I just saw it. One thing we realized we were missing in linking the My Device to the RFID scanner/gun was pulling the trigger on the RFID scanner/gun. First make sure the bluetooth is on for both devices. When the bluetooth on the My Device picks up the RFID gun then hit "connect" then look for the blue light on the side of the RFID gun to start flashing more rapidly. When that happens pull the trigger on the RFID gun. That will link the two.
Thanks for the help. Although, now they've moved the RFID scanners out of GS and no one seems to know where they are. Of course, now since it's been holiday season we barely have time to do anything let alone RFID.

How-to fix MyDevice from Apple logo of death.
1) Install iTunes on display laptop and download latest iPod update (around 1.5GB)

2) Hold power and home button down on iPod until apple logo appears then let go of power button but keep holding home button so iPod will request iTunes connection. Plug in iPod.

3) Restore iPod to factory settings. Allow it to boot to the "Hello" screen then follow prompts until it's connected to guest wifi and is asking for login/password.

4) Call 701, dial 3, then 2, then 1 for mobile device client services. Tell them you have a factory reset MyDevice and need profile and apps pushed. You will need email access for the one-time use info.

You should bring all "broken" MyDevices to step 3 before going to step 4 because you can use login/pw for all. You will need to provide serial numbers for each one as prompted (Settings - General - About). I recently did this to a few we had laying around. This is not best practice but it works and takes less time than sending them in for repair. ASANTS and may forbid this so before you go and do it, have your ETL and STL permission.

Happy fixing.

I'm about to send our only remaining original myDevice from 2014 off because it's on the Apple Logo of Death, along with two others. One I received back only a few days before. HQ needs to hurry up with the Android replacements.

I asked Client Services about the new devices and they said release to more stores was possibly delayed to second quarter. Could be accurate but hard to say since he was pretty tight lipped about it all and was surprised I knew.

Is it just me or do certain people wear the my devices as an accessory? I see a mostly tl's walking around with them on their hip without ever really using it, then when I'm doing auto fills, breakaway or reshops and need one, they just tell me to use the price scanner! I understand the LOD needs one for Redwire, but not everyone who has one needs one.

Last edited:
A TM from another store told me that while they were on the phone with the help desk, the person on the other end of the line said "don't worry about the mydevices. New sleds and new devices are coming after the new year."

A TM from another store told me that while they were on the phone with the help desk, the person on the other end of the line said "don't worry about the mydevices. New sleds and new devices are coming after the new year."

They are probably just as fed up with troubleshooting the same issues all day as we are calling them in. I wonder if the imminent change to new devices is nearer than we think. I made a CAPEX request for 2 new myDevices during 4th quarter's unlimited funds and it still has not been approved by those sitting at the top.

Not sure if this has been posted yet but I found out something cool the other day.

On the top right of the work app, there are two buttons. The 9-grid (brings up the on-screen NUMPAD) and the Magnifying Glass. To the immediate left of the 9-grid, if you tap on the nothing that's there, the work app will tap into the iPod's camera and use that as a backup scanner. It sucks for books but its good for regular UPCs. Might be a thing to consider using if half of your store's MyDevices are out for repair or have dead scanner batteries.

Back