Archived Team Member Discount

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sounds like pure bs to me. I’m sure headquarters has better things to do

You know that there's a team at HQ that deals specifically with internals right :confused:. Technically it can be considered a loss (if your friend/family came to your register would you take 10% off of their total?). If you add up all of the people that do this company wide it's a lot bigger year to date then the $1-10 someone saves in a single trip. This is why some companies have the friends and family discount and others don't. My thinking behind it is that if its a business that gains more profit from offering a small discount like a mom and pop shop with high markups compared to a big box store that cuts prices a lot more just to sell at a higher volume they are more willing to do it.

In the end that's what the policy is and it really isn't worth risking your job.

Store level AP can certainly initiate the investigation if they feel like something is up.

But it’s corporate (Investigations Center, IC) who actually watch the discount stuff actively. Their systems will flag suspicious transaction activity, including possible misuse of discounts.

That information then gets sent down to the store level. The store will look into it and decide how to proceed.

Trust me it’s not worth it.

The amount stores lose from customer theft pales in comparison to what they lose to employees--through direct theft, discount fraud, or just plain mistakes, so yes, they pay a lot of attention to employees.

IMHO, it depends on who and how much. I have used my discount for more than just purchases for my own use, but I'm careful to not over-do it. I pay for the purchase from my own funds and get reimbursed later, away from the store. I never give my card to someone else to use or use it for purchases, by myself or anyone else, that are intended for re-sell. In all the years I've been there, I can think of maybe a half-dozen things I've bought for other people and used my discount.
On the other hand, I know of some TMs who've bought 3 TVs on Black Friday and been completely open that they weren't all for their own house. They weren't re-selling, but they weren't gifts either.

This sounds like pure bs to me. I’m sure headquarters has better things to do
Many stores have security equipment installed that hq can log in to watch. I worked in a store 7 hours from the district office. The dtl would call the stl and tell him to point the camera to this area, that area for an online visit. Hq can do the same.

It'll catch up with you. And it doesn't just have to be your AP. Target can see the numbers and purchases and look into things from headquarters
If you pay with cash then what? And doesn't Target have better things to focus on? Sure they may go after you if you do a high price item then they may pay attention but if use cash then what?

I went out of town about 2.5 hours away with wife and sister n law. Made a purchase at a Target, not even a big purchase, maybe $30. Used my discount and my red card. About a week later I get pulled into my HR's office and she's talking about an email she got from corporate stating that I was in such and such city and made a purchase for someone else and used my discount. Then I proceeded to tell her it was a purchase for me, and my wife and sister n law were with me. She says she doesn't know the details but just that they said it was a big group of people and I used my discount to buy them stuff. I laughed and told her sure, if 3 people is a big group of people. I told her to tell them to pull video footage of me buying stuff for them and proof it wasn't for me (which it was).

She said I wasn't in trouble that it was just a warning. Lmao yea warning my ass. I'll buy whatever I want for myself. If I'm going to be accused of using my discount for others then at least come at me with proof of a money exchange or something.

So either corporate looked into that transaction and notified my store, or the cashier tried sticking their nose into something they knew nothing about and management contacted corporate
That is why you don't use their red card or even open one. Keep yourself low profile.

Many stores have security equipment installed that hq can log in to watch. I worked in a store 7 hours from the district office. The dtl would call the stl and tell him to point the camera to this area, that area for an online visit. Hq can do the same.
Also CSC and presumably HQ can view POS screen live

Our old ETL Ap use to come out his office when his girlfriend was shopping to let her use his discount.

Hahahahahah.

Our old STL would put clearance on hold.... for himself.
Who cares...as long as the sale is made. Lol. Clearance would pile up on tubs in BR for weeks so I don't blame any TM if they go ahead and buy any of it. It's another version of online only stuff i.e. not in stores but online and this is BR only not on sales floor.

It's the same reason we don't sell to resellers. It fair to our guests and hurt's Target profit in the long term.
Target is hurting its own profit by not having enough team members to push everything out. If ETLs don't care then why should we?

This might be a silly or more obvious question but it all still confuses me.

For our team member discounts are we not allowed to let anyone else use it at all?

everyone I know says they let other use it and they have never gotten in trouble. Personally I don’t know anyone who has gotten in trouble, but whenever I let my friends or family use my discount when i’m at a store that is not mine the employee always gives me slight attutide saying I will get in trouble.
Example: we were getting a pool and only one target had it and my brother was using his red card and the employee said if the redcard wasnt in my name ap will see that and I can get in trouble

Okay I understand now, i don’t think i should be fired some of yall are extra and i never said the guy gave me attitude it was an honest question because out of two years of working at target no one ever mentions it and i’m not about to ask hr and stuff to anyone who was nice thank you, i won’t be giving my discount out anymore.

I don't let anyone else use my discount, but I do think it's ridiculous that my parents can't use it since I still live at home and eat their food and all that. A lot of team members live with multiple generations in their house.

Instead, I just chip in on groceries and toilet paper, etc, but still...

I don't give out my card but if its family. I'll just purchase it for them and to be reimbursed at a later point

I don't let anyone else use my discount, but I do think it's ridiculous that my parents can't use it since I still live at home and eat their food and all that. A lot of team members live with multiple generations in their house.

PROTIP FOR KIDS WHO LIVE WITH PARENTS

have them get a redcard, their account, they pay the bill, and make you an authorized user. Therefore the card is in your name, you’re making the purchase, but parents pay the bill. It’s how I buy a bunch of house supplies.

I see nothing wrong with letting others use your discount.. I do it all the time.. I have never seen or heard of anyone getting fired for this
Yes, people get fired for this. Small likelihood of getting caught but it does happen. As for "I see nothing wrong with letting others use your discount...I do it all the time", you should see something wrong with violating the rules. This is a benefit for TMs, spouses and immediate dependents. Period. You should rethink this"see nothing wrong" idea. Target makes the rules.

I've seen a number of folks termed for using their discount for other than written policy. And there isn't any discussion - out the door, bye bye. Sad but true.

PROTIP FOR KIDS WHO LIVE WITH PARENTS

have them get a redcard, their account, they pay the bill, and make you an authorized user. Therefore the card is in your name, you’re making the purchase, but parents pay the bill. It’s how I buy a bunch of house supplies.
Take cash from everyone for household essentials and deposit it in your bank account. If using a credit red card, pay the balance on your card with that bank account. If using a debit red card, link that bank account to the red card. Buy the household essentials with your discount and red card. Completely by the book because you are using an equal or greater share of those essentials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back