Archived They scheduled me outside my availibility so I can work on Christmas eve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm dumbfounded by all these replies. If Target hired the OP and accepted his availability, why is there an issue? Now, if the OP was told he was required to work whenever, that would make the situation different. But in another post, the OP writes that they didn't.

When I interview the seasonals, I make sure they understand availability doesn’t matter for Thanksgiving, BF, Christmas Eve. That they WILL be scheduled and will be expected to work. I know ASANTS, but I thought that was pretty much across the board.

When I interview the seasonals, I make sure they understand availability doesn’t matter for Thanksgiving, BF, Christmas Eve. That they WILL be scheduled and will be expected to work. I know ASANTS, but I thought that was pretty much across the board.
I suppose those who are desperate for bodies leave that out and say tough shit when things like this happen.

I don't work on mondays, and this year christmas eve happens to fall on a monday. They scheduled me anyway, and I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I'm only 16, I started in October, and I'm doing full time highschool as well as part-time PSEO. I have a huge annual family event going on christmas eve and I can't miss it.
Welcome to the real world of retail. There is no way you will be in school that day. As for the huge family party, there are many of us who will have to forego activities because we will be working Christmas Eve. If you are hired as a seasonal employee, you are asked about working certain key days.

I got hired seasonal a few years ago and they didnt ask me if I could work holidays either. They didnt ask anyone this time around either

A lot of people are hitting that "required" reply response. Hate to break it to you but some people have other obligations, other requirements. That is what availability is used for. Target does not Trump things like other jobs or family Care obligations just because it's a special day.

Op, obviously some friction will arise any time you can't devote yourself fully to Target, learn to deal with it or move on. Just tell them your availability restriction still stands and that you can't work. It hurts their opinion of being able to rely on you in these situations but that is something you both need to live with.

Yeah, I'll be in at 11pm with my price change team for toys workload. The direction is that it has to be done before store open.

Normally if someone is scheduled outside their availability then calling out does not go as an attendance issue. Why would this be different? It's not like the availability was filled out as "Christmas Eve unavailable", it was "Monday unavailable" and a Monday being special is something that just happens every now and then. Target knows that they are sometimes a second job or sometimes are chosen to be an employer because someone has scheduling needs that don't fit a standard Mon-Fri work week. Isn't scheduling requirements and acceptance of those requirements a contract between the two parties? "Special" days don't void other pre-existing employment contracts.

I don't work on mondays, and this year christmas eve happens to fall on a monday. They scheduled me anyway, and I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I'm only 16, I started in October, and I'm doing full time highschool as well as part-time PSEO. I have a huge annual family event going on christmas eve and I can't miss it.

Try and work with them. Let them known it’s against your availability and that you have a prior engagement. Also put it on the swap board. If you don’t get it covered, call out and explain that you cannot under any circumstances work on mondays. My availability is Mondays and Tuesdays off because I have another job and it’s security so I still have to work Christmas. So if Target scheduled me against my availability, I wouldn’t be able to go in because I still work my other job. Just because it’s the holidays, your availability is your availability. If the store chooses to ignore it and schedule you anyway, that’s on them and maybe they’ll realize their mistake when you aren’t there and that they should’ve scheduled someone else who is available.

Everyone works Christmas Eve. They should have mentioned that in the interview.

I would just do the shift if it's one of those 3 or 4 hour shifts. I never see minors having more than that. You did get scheduled outside of your availability but, I never had a closed availability before so, I don't know what it's like being scheduled on a day you aren't supposed to be scheduled on.

A lot of people are hitting that "required" reply response. Hate to break it to you but some people have other obligations, other requirements. That is what availability is used for. Target does not Trump things like other jobs or family Care obligations just because it's a special day.

Op, obviously some friction will arise any time you can't devote yourself fully to Target, learn to deal with it or move on. Just tell them your availability restriction still stands and that you can't work. It hurts their opinion of being able to rely on you in these situations but that is something you both need to live with.

Unfortunately, OP willingly chose to work in a business that does in fact trump that other thing.

I'm dumbfounded by all these replies. If Target hired the OP and accepted his availability, why is there an issue? Now, if the OP was told he was required to work whenever, that would make the situation different. But in another post, the OP writes that they didn't.
Because there is a really high chance they would not have hired him then, as it is a requirement to ask that to all seasonal applicants. He just might not have remembered it.

But whichever it is, he still needs to talk to his TL

Retail businesses understand that they are sometimes second jobs or limited hours jobs. How is this situation any different than someone who works every Monday at a different job? If someone has a specific day off every week and the availability was accepted by Target then the ETLs shouldn't try to decide if the reason is legitimate enough on a particular week. Someone decided it was legitimate enough weeks ago. Plus there can be school on Christmas Eve. A class like Band or Choir could have a performance and not showing up could be a letter grade's difference.

Retail businesses understand that they are sometimes second jobs or limited hours jobs. How is this situation any different than someone who works every Monday at a different job? If someone has a specific day off every week and the availability was accepted by Target then the ETLs shouldn't try to decide if the reason is legitimate enough on a particular week. Someone decided it was legitimate enough weeks ago. Plus there can be school on Christmas Eve. A class like Band or Choir could have a performance and not showing up could be a letter grade's difference.

This is 100% true!! I work a second job doing security and we don’t get holidays off, that is the reason I am not available Mondays at my store and I am in fact working my security job on Christmas eve. Now I was fortunate enough to not be scheduled at Target but if I was, I wouldn’t be going in. Just because holidays may fall on a certain day doesn’t mean the availability changes.

Last edited:
I remember when I was seasonal two years ago I didn't work Thanksgiving or Christmas Eve, but I worked both last year.

I remember when they used to have a holiday availability sheet for us to fill out. Now they don’t even bother, lol.

My store only did for who HR considers favorites, which left out most of anyone who is logistics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back