Timeclock oddities

UboatOfDeath

The time frame vs reality
I've been working at target for 4.5 years, of those 4.5 years that I've been here my boss or any of my shift leaders never explained certain things that could get you fired. Of those things, is the time clock. They only tell you don't hit your your 8th hour and you will be fine or don't hit your 5th hour (don't punch lunch late)...

The bullshit part and I really mean the bullshit part about this is that they let you clock in 5 minutes earlier... and I always felt like this was trap because you would need to punch out for work or lunch 5 minutes earlier consistently before effectively being considered late (hitting overtime).

Now what bugs the fuck out of me is that for those 4 years that I've been here, there would be times when I would punch out 12:05am-8:10am and the time clock would consider it as 7:55 hours. I noticed that this would almost always be a continuous trend and no one in HR would say anything about that. There was only one time when a shift leader said that I would be safe if I punched out before 8:30am...

Now fast forward to today and all of sudden everyone in HR started paying attention to the time clock and they mark anything beyond 8:05am as 8hrs...
🤔🤔🤔

Screenshot_20231114_173015_myTime for Target.jpg Screenshot_20231114_170701_myTime for Target.jpg

It's not showing up as 8 hours on there. The first day (listed as 8.08 hours) has a missing punch. Once that gets corrected, your half hour lunch will be subtracted, putting you at about 7.58 hours. The second picture is 7.63 hours, so that's fine. I guess I don't understand your question.

Math is math. Math has always been math. Nothing has changed. It has nothing to do with HR. They don't decide how long your shifts are. Math does. The same math that has existed for thousands of years.

I've been working at target for 4.5 years, of those 4.5 years that I've been here my boss or any of my shift leaders never explained certain things that could get you fired. Of those things, is the time clock. They only tell you don't hit your your 8th hour and you will be fine or don't hit your 5th hour (don't punch lunch late)...

The bullshit part and I really mean the bullshit part about this is that they let you clock in 5 minutes earlier... and I always felt like this was trap because you would need to punch out for work or lunch 5 minutes earlier consistently before effectively being considered late (hitting overtime).

Now what bugs the fuck out of me is that for those 4 years that I've been here, there would be times when I would punch out 12:05am-8:10am and the time clock would consider it as 7:55 hours. I noticed that this would almost always be a continuous trend and no one in HR would say anything about that. There was only one time when a shift leader said that I would be safe if I punched out before 8:30am...

Now fast forward to today and all of sudden everyone in HR started paying attention to the time clock and they mark anything beyond 8:05am as 8hrs...
🤔🤔🤔
Target pays to the minute (or rather the hundredth of an hour). If you clock in 5 mins early, you are getting paid for those 5 mins (as 0.08 hours). I suppose that would mean needing to clock out for lunch 5 mins earlier so you don't hit compliance, but you shouldn't be that close anyways.

I think you're confusing late and overtime. Lots of people stay past shift if they're asked to, but it's on you as an adult to be mindful of how close you are to 40 hours and not go over it without explicit permission. No one made you clock in early. And for that matter you can clock out at :55 without getting dinged for leaving early.

The two timecards you have screenshotted both add up correctly. Do you have one that actually shows missing hours? HR isn't "marking" anything. They're not changing your punches. Your store is probably close on payroll and your leaders are asking you to leave on time so you're not adding payroll.

Last edited:
Back