Archived Unnecessary team lead firing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know of any higher paid team leads that have worked with Target for many years being fired for petty performance issues. I know of 4 in our district that have been given their walking papers that have given spot their best for 10 years of great service.

So sad, we had a senior team lead in our store that was better then most etl's. I came in one day and they fired him for performance issues. The same things everyone else does. His replacement doesn't even come out to the sales floor to work. She's in tsc all day with the other etl's doing nothing.

On the forum, we have a signing ninja get fired for not putting up 1 3 by 5 ad sign. They won in the end after they got fired.

Yeah, loyalty to Target just gets you canned in the end. Seen it happen a ton of times. Often it is a STL who is failing and of course they blame the team and buy time for themselves by canning other leadership. In the end things often get worse and the STL canned any they just destroyed a bunch of others for no reason.

Spot is good for that . They will get rid of the decent ones and replace them with Kool Aid drinkers... Spot doesn't want ppl in positions of authority that think for themselves...all Spot wants to hear is Yes, yes, yes, yes

I'm surprised they don't get sued.

After I got canned, every lawyer I talked to said that while my firing did appear to be political in nature, Target didn't do anything illegal. If they want you gone, you're gone. Regardless of your performance.

After I got canned, every lawyer I talked to said that while my firing did appear to be political in nature, Target didn't do anything illegal. If they want you gone, you're gone. Regardless of your performance.

In my case the lawyer said it was clearly against the ADA and it would be possible to sue, that maybe when the act first went into effect I would have won but nowadays they have gotten good enough to cover themselves.
Unless you have a group of people for a class action suit or recordings that prove their paperwork is lies, the chances are pretty slim.

Most states have at-will employment, so they can fire someone for pretty much any reason. The only real question would be if they have enough paperwork together to fight your unemployment claim.
What kind of business model is this? Get rid of your most loyal, hard-working, management team members? I know of several great team leaders who worked harder than their ETL's, knew more; in a people, management, target business aspect, than them, and at the end after many years of loyal service get shafted! More and more this company makes me so angry.

What kind of business model is this? Get rid of your most loyal, hard-working, management team members? I know of several great team leaders who worked harder than their ETL's, knew more; in a people, management, target business aspect, than them, and at the end after many years of loyal service get shafted! More and more this company makes me so angry.
I didn't say it is morally right or a good business model.

By working their way up over the years, they became too expensive to keep; the most grievous sin.
Or last etl casualty was said to be making in the six figures...he'd been with spot over a decade...needless to say the young kook aid drinkers were not pleased.

This is common practice not just in target but in most retail, especially the big box stores. Why pay someone 15.00 an hour to drive a truck when you can get someone else for 10.31 an hour

With the proper 'documentation', yes.
In corp's eye, the IDEAL TM: is part-time & NEVER qualifies for benefits, has wide-open avail & comes in whenever called, NEVER calls out, puts the needs of the store ahead of their own, is satisfied with nickel & dime raises, NEVER seeks to move up but will do TL tasks if they are foist upon them, NEVER questions leadership & doesn't drink the koolaid because they bleed red & khaki.

Most states have at-will employment, so they can fire someone for pretty much any reason. The only real question would be if they have enough paperwork together to fight your unemployment claim.
I have it on good authority that it is cheaper to not fight unemployment claims. Even if fired for repeat poor performance after a PIP and coaching, they still have to prove it was intentional behavior (tardiness, rule infractions) and not just sucking at your job.

I remember reading on here during AE 14 that payroll changed from hours to dollars in the past year. Is that true or am I misremembering?

I have it on good authority that it is cheaper to not fight unemployment claims. Even if fired for repeat poor performance after a PIP and coaching, they still have to prove it was intentional behavior (tardiness, rule infractions) and not just sucking at your job.

I work in HR in the hospitality industry.

It is not hard to fight unemployment claims.

Usually the state will send us a letter. We will have the hotel were the employee worked fax us their employment file. We send the performance documentation and the policies that they violated to state.

If the state agrees with the person making the claim, we get a notice and contest it. We then have a third-party unemployment vendor take over from there.

We received 50 requests for unemployment last year due to termination due to negligence or performance problems. Of those 50, only 2 were granted by the state. Of those 2, we only paid 1.

And yes, we're small enough that all performance related terminations have to approved by the HR department--unless it is a tardy/attendance issue.

Side note- one of my favorite unemployment claims came from a housekeeper who was terminated after falling asleep in a room after cleaning it. She was within the cleanjng time standard and decided to nap... But not before informing the front desk the room was ready. She fell asleep and slept past her alarm and was found by an early check-in guest. She was terminated for that and other performance related issues.

She contested the firing, saying that the policy manual doesn't mention that housekeepers can't sleep after cleaning... Funny, one of the policies is "employees are not allowed to sleep or give the apperance of sleeping and/or napping while performing work."

It is not hard to fight unemployment claims.

Usually the state will send us a letter. We will have the hotel were the employee worked fax us their employment file. We send the performance documentation and the policies that they violated to state.

If the state agrees with the person making the claim, we get a notice and contest it. We then have a third-party unemployment vendor take over from there.
Exactly—sounds like tons of time, paperwork, plus direct cost of a third party to prevent a minuscule cost. Last time I collected unemployment, it was capped at about 17% of my prior income for just 13 weeks.

To fire someone for petty reasons rather than lay them off and then fight their unemployment claim, you'd have to be an evil jackass. I can only hope that anyone who participates in that gets a taste of their own medicine. What goes around comes around.

Miniscule cost?

I make about $350 per week, 17% of that is 59.5, over 13 weeks that would be 773.5. It is not cheaper to pay that 48 times than to fax some paperwork. The only way fighting unemployment would cost the employer much would be if they needed to get a lawyer involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back