Archived Walking college graduation vs working during holiday weekend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I will be graduating college this December. My college commencement ceremony is December 19th, the saturday before Christmas.

I am only going to have one day were I graduate college, is it too much to ask for the day off?

If I could get someone's advice from an TL/ETL/HR position and from someone who has graduated college while working at target, this would be great

So I will be graduating college this December. My college commencement ceremony is December 19th, the saturday before Christmas.

I am only going to have one day were I graduate college, is it too much to ask for the day off?

If I could get someone's advice from an TL/ETL/HR position and from someone who has graduated college while working at target, this would be great

10 years from now, you will not remember that day that you worked at Target on Dec 19th. But you will definitely remember the day you walked your graduation commencement on Dec 19th... you make the choice ;)

Target will make it seem like you're asking too much but I'd put in for it &, if it's denied, call out.
As VT said, you won't remember anything about working at spot that day other than rude guests but you'll always remember the walk that culminated years of hard work.
Work/life balance & all that.

Well it got denied. It got rejected because "it is the last Saturday before xmas. See me so we can work something out". I love target to death.

Screw target. I am going whether I am scheduled or not. That is my day. I've worked too hard to graduate for me not to walk. I am not going to work after such a big accomplishment in my life go to target afterwards. They are telling me out if my normal 2 days off in a week that they can't give me that day off too?

WALK. I initially didn't want to go to my graduation ceremony but I'm glad I did. My graduation was actually a random Thursday in May so I I already had it off but I had that Saturday off for my graduation dinner. I requested it about 3 months in advance and there was no issue.
See if you can work something out. They can't have the entire store work that day- someone's got to have it off. Or offer to work Christmas eve instead?
But if they won't budge I'd call off. Your accomplishment is more important.

Just depending on how friendly your store might be, you may or may not be able to get time off for your graduation day. Any time from Thanksgiving to Christmas is the traditional Blackout Dates where you cannot ask for time off unless its medical or emergency reasons.

When I graduated college, I walked at the ceremony, ate lunch with my visiting family, and then went to work closing Guest Service.

WALK. I initially didn't want to go to my graduation ceremony but I'm glad I did. My graduation was actually a random Thursday in May so I I already had it off but I had that Saturday off for my graduation dinner. I requested it about 3 months in advance and there was no issue.
See if you can work something out. They can't have the entire store work that day- someone's got to have it off. Or offer to work Christmas eve instead?
But if they won't budge I'd call off. Your accomplishment is more important.

I am going to try and offer some solution. I agree my accomplishment is more important than target.

I too thought that someone has to have the day off that Saturday. Plus out of the 5 days I work, I can't see why I can't have the day off.

Actually now I think about it, they denied an ETL request for a time off for his honeymoon so yea, you're nothing

talk to your tl. I would certainly make it happen for you.

They actually denied it. They know now 3 months ahead that they will need me. They must know the schedule for that week for them to know now if I am to be scheduled

It was my ETL who denied it. So I am going to hr when I am in next. If they don't approve it, then I will call out.

Your ETL is going to want to see if you can work an early/late/split shift instead.

My store is the same way with blackout dates. A TM asked for that same Saturday off last December because it was the day his wife was scheduled to have her c-section... It was denied, he was scheduled to work, and nobody blamed him when he called off.

Graduating college is a perfectly reasonable excuse for calling off, and nobody will give you shit for it. If your direct TL is understanding about it, work with him/her directly if possible when that schedule is being written, or let them know when it is posted that you won't be coming in.

If your ETL denied it, talk with either your TL or your ETL-HR. Explain it to them and tell them your ETL denied it, but if they would be willing to approve it if you resubmit it. They might go for it.

If your ETL denied it, talk with either your TL or your ETL-HR. Explain it to them and tell them your ETL denied it, but if they would be willing to approve it if you resubmit it. They might go for it.

That is exactly what I am going to do. I will explain my side and all the logistics to me not working. I doubt everyone will be working that Saturday. I mean out of the 7 days in that week, they cant work around me not working that day? I even had a team member offer to cover my shift so I can enjoy my graduation.

Your ETL is going to want to see if you can work an early/late/split shift instead.

My store is the same way with blackout dates. A TM asked for that same Saturday off last December because it was the day his wife was scheduled to have her c-section... It was denied, he was scheduled to work, and nobody blamed him when he called off.

Graduating college is a perfectly reasonable excuse for calling off, and nobody will give you shit for it. If your direct TL is understanding about it, work with him/her directly if possible when that schedule is being written, or let them know when it is posted that you won't be coming in.

The way I see it, I only graduate college once. I am going to take the day. I am willing to work any shift any time during that week and next. Ill volunteer to work black friday opening and closing if needed. I will also close xmas eve if needed. But on December 19th, I will call off/out. That is my day.

I would talk to my direct TL but he doesnt do my schedule, our ETL does. The same one who denied the request

Far better to celebrate an accomplishment like this than fighting mobs the last weekend before Christmas.

Well it got denied. It got rejected because "it is the last Saturday before xmas. See me so we can work something out". I love target to death.

Screw target. I am going whether I am scheduled or not. That is my day. I've worked too hard to graduate for me not to walk. I am not going to work after such a big accomplishment in my life go to target afterwards. They are telling me out if my normal 2 days off in a week that they can't give me that day off too?

Next time you just need one day like that off in 4th quarter, just call out for it. Don't request it off. You will get in less trouble calling out for one shift than requesting a shift off, it being denied, then you calling out for that same shift.

Next time you just need one day like that off in 4th quarter, just call out for it. Don't request it off. You will get in less trouble calling out for one shift than requesting a shift off, it being denied, then you calling out for that same shift.

I have a super important weekend in my life coming up at the beginning of November. And of course I got the official dates after we got the "time off will be limited to first come, first served as of November 1st" hand out. It's naturally my weekend to work, so I put in the time off request and told my GSTL what was up that weekend, and that if he couldn't honor the time off request, I would understand, but then I would be calling in both days and they'd be down a GSA. His choice (we have that sort of relationship that I can get away with that).

He laughed (though he knew I was dead serious) and gave me the time off.

I will say this, once I get my degree. I can apply to a lot more jobs than before. I hope leave target soon after graduating. Heck, I might leave beforehand

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back