Archived an etl hardlines position might be open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a college degree. is there any way an internal team member apply?

our etl hardlines left for personal issues and she says there likely won't be a replacement till January. we have some sr tl's that could fill it, but they don't sound like they want it. they like the 40 hour weeks

Go on ehr & apply. A good chance, you may not stay your store, after you survived the interviews. Go for intern job, if possible,

ETL positions are filled at the group/district level. The hiring/interview process takes about 1-1.5 months to complete then you're given a start date. As an external hire, I applied online in early October, interviewed from October 4 to November 15, got an offer November 16, and started December 3.

As an internal you would need ETL approval, then your STLs approval before going to the DTL interview. This could take a month or more of mock interviews before an actual STL interview. After the DTL says yes you'll interview with the VP or equivalent. That is the final interview. I doubt your team will support this during 4th quarter so the position will be filled before you even start the prep work.

However you could apply and go to another store. Internal hire process isn't as easy as the external hire process. Target seems to want externals with no ties to Target so they can have a fresh prospective and are more willing to learn/follow Target Best Practices.

Advice: Research the interview process and study the questions they ask at interviews. Target has a very specific hiring process and if you go into it knowing what to expect you'll do well. Just being interested in an open ETL position isn't enough and thinking they will just do an interview right away is the wrong approach. Be prepared before asking your leadership about it.

Last edited:
Also: a Sr.TL at our store, who was a former ETL before leaving for another opportunity, was being prepared for ETL interviews. Two years later they are still dangling that carrot in his face. He even filled in for me (ETL Log) when I left before 4th quarter, did well, and is still waiting for the ETL nod.

Yea, this isn't something you'll be able to just jump right into simply because there's a position open. It's a lot of prep, politicking, and schmoozing. If your STL doesn't have you on any kind of ETL development radar and your DTL doesn't know who you are then you will not get this position and you won't be considered for one for at least 6 months.

Likewise, it's rare for them to give an ETL position to somebody who has worked at the same store as a TM. The awkwardness and conflict of interests of somebody suddenly becoming LOD of team members who they might be friends with is something a STL doesn't want to deal with.

If it's something you are serious about doing, approach your ETL-HR, get an internship going, and be prepared to leave your current store.

Go for it can never hurt to try. We had our etl ge quit in june and a electionics tm that had just graduated did etl prep and took over the etl ge position in august its really if you want it or not and he has been great plus our stl and etls are BIG on internal hiring so they really push for him to the dtl and gtl to be in that position.

It actually *CAN* hurt to try. This is your chance to deliver a first impression on your DTL, or even your STL, regarding your desire to move up in the company. Doing it the wrong way, or doing it half-assed, can destroy your prospects for at least a year.

Unless you are a stellar interviewee, are personable as hell, and can charm your STL/DTL, I wouldn't even try. Go the correct route; talk to your ETL-HR/STL, start doing mock interviews, work on your performance examples.

The awkwardness and conflict of interests of somebody suddenly becoming LOD of team members who they might be friends with is something a STL doesn't want to deal with.

That seems odd, since LOD at our store is more often than not a Sr. TL.

in a reply to everyone who has posted. i have a degree. my dtl was my former stl and has a favorable relationship with me.

Then talk to your STL about being interested in promoting to ETL/Leadership. The biggest problem is you need to know where you currently stand. They do not promote someone on the fly and will make a bunch of ETL moves to fill roles (or might have a bunch of interns who passed and will fill it later).

If they say "We want you to be a TL or Senior TL first" then your route will be much longer than you think. The fastest route would be to go find another job, quit Target for a year to 18 months and then apply externally. That would at least double your chances of it!

Then talk to your STL about being interested in promoting to ETL/Leadership. The biggest problem is you need to know where you currently stand. They do not promote someone on the fly and will make a bunch of ETL moves to fill roles (or might have a bunch of interns who passed and will fill it later).

If they say "We want you to be a TL or Senior TL first" then your route will be much longer than you think. The fastest route would be to go find another job, quit Target for a year to 18 months and then apply externally. That would at least double your chances of it!
that's what i'm thinking. its the path a former tl went.

that's what i'm thinking. its the path a former tl went.

Probably the best option if they do not go for ETL right away. I do not know you obviously so that means my opinion is not all that valid. I think some people CAN and DO move up through Target given the right development path, but that is maybe 1-3% of people who try it. Most people fail down that road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back