Archived Interesting Things Are Afoot in the land of Spot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great point. Giving guests a one stop shopping destination with items that are exclusive to Target. As far as grocery goes though, I really feel like Target could set itself apart from the other stores by having the department staffed and clean. Most stores I've been in look nice from afar, but their actually pretty dingy once you get close.

I always wondered how Target would fair as a 100% health food Store...

Sort of a Whole Foods/Bed Bath N' Kohls
That definitely appeals to our core guest. At least in my parts. Whole foods seems very Target in a way.

Great point. Giving guests a one stop shopping destination with items that are exclusive to Target. As far as grocery goes though, I really feel like Target could set itself apart from the other stores by having the department staffed and clean. Most stores I've been in look nice from afar, but their actually pretty dingy once you get close.

I hope that never flies. It irritates me that the last transition took away so much of the canned goods, etc. I just want to pick up my groceries in one stop and health food is too expensive - I work at Target! I do wish they'd put all of the gluten free in one aisle since those shoppers apparently can't be bothered to read packages to see if a food is gluten free or not. I also wish more sugar free offerings were available.

I hope that never flies. It irritates me that the last transition took away so much of the canned goods, etc. I just want to pick up my groceries in one stop and health food is too expensive - I work at Target! I do wish they'd put all of the gluten free in one aisle since those shoppers apparently can't be bothered to read packages to see if a food is gluten free or not. I also wish more sugar free offerings were available.
Our guests are not cheap, they don't care about cost so long as it's what they want. $5 gluten free betty Crocker cake mix? No worries. I don't mind them being spread out. I would love sugar free hard candy. The plain fruit type. Or mints maybe? Four types of chocolate and two hard isn't cutting it.

If they stopped changing the branding colors and the actual brand of owned foods it would be great. Guests can't find stuff because it was one brand, now it's another and it looks different than they remember.

Our food sales are huge at our store, but still plenty of opportunities. Like actually carrying stuff we ask about or bringing back certain things. What a waste of a form, you get a generic reply and they probably auto-delete your request.

To go with what the person who said Tom's and hipsters it really it's a stereotype it's just alot of hipsters happen to wear Tom's and vegans/ save the earth crowd also wear Tom's. I do like how Tom's gives back it is really nice. I promise you they will fly off the shelf......

The earpieces came in today. They ordered half ear buds and half over ear. Of course everyone wanted over ear (it doesn't enter your ear at all). we were told we had to keep them in store locked in a desk or locker with our name on it until it becomes an issue of people losing them, then they have to be shared. Needless to say everyone who has them is happy :) until you hear a screeching pterodactyl in your ear and you drop to the ground holding your head.. lol

Last edited:
We have been doing this for about 2 years now. I really don't mind wearing the earpiece. What I do mind is when you have a soft spoken person talk and the next person screeches. Then there are the folks who carry on looooooooong conversations. Also be careful when in soft lines! During the dry winter months they have been known to cause a shock or two right through your ear.

Ouch. I am constantly getting shocked (walking through market.. grabbing the freezer doors.. walking into TSC.. taking off a U-Bar in softlines) so i know that this will happen to me constantly then.. thanks for the heads up!

We have been doing this for about 2 years now. I really don't mind wearing the earpiece. What I do mind is when you have a soft spoken person talk and the next person screeches. Then there are the folks who carry on looooooooong conversations. Also be careful when in soft lines! During the dry winter months they have been known to cause a shock or two right through your ear.

Exactly why I refuse to wear one, won't have them screeching in my head, bad enough on my hip.

who are these companys kidding with free shipping. They increase prices overall to pay for that "free" shipping.

There are a few other interesting things Target will be offering during the holidays:
  • New Wish List app launching Oct. 31; guests can save 10 percent on their Wish List on one day of their choosing before Nov. 26.
  • Cartwheel will offer daily deals; from Nov. 2 to Dec. 24, Cartwheel will offer 50 percent off a different toy every day.
More info at this link: http://pressroom.target.com/news/target-unveils-plans-for-holiday-2014

All of the news sites say Brian wants to take Target back to its domestics and home furnishings roots and get Target's name and image back, instead of the grocery path it wandered down.

This is good news. Big box retailers will NOT compete with real supermarkets and ever become a place people will do the majority of their food shopping & it's crazy to try.

The only way this experiment could succeed is the way Walmart did it - open REAL supermarkets ("Neighborhood Market") & staff it with people who are hired to work in a supermarket.

All of the news sites say Brian wants to take Target back to its domestics and home furnishings roots and get Target's name and image back, instead of the grocery path it wandered down.

This is good news. Big box retailers will NOT compete with real supermarkets and ever become a place people will do the majority of their food shopping & it's crazy to try.

The only way this experiment could succeed is the way Walmart did it - open REAL supermarkets ("Neighborhood Market") & staff it with people who are hired to work in a supermarket.

Actually, pfresh has been a pretty solid success for Spot. My store does especially brisk business in our market section, to the point that grocery is the second highest sales department in the store, behind only the entirety of softlines.

The margins aren't terrible, and it also acts as a traffic driver.

I'd suggest checking your store fact sheet.

Actually, pfresh has been a pretty solid success for Spot. My store does especially brisk business in our market section, to the point that grocery is the second highest sales department in the store, behind only the entirety of softlines.

Yup. I have locals who have been regulars since the store opened. Most guests buy something from grocery-dry and pfresh.

We have a huge chunk of guests that buy groceries from us, even daily buyers.

Last week my daughter was jealous of the samples at a Super, she loves them at Sam's!

I wonder if we can stack a discount on a wishlist.... Wishful thinking I'm sure!

Well aren't you lucky >.>

My store has a Wegmans up the road, a Giant across the shopping center, an Aldi's three stores down, and a Super Walmart across the parking lot.

The fact that dry grocery (considering how bleh it tends to look) is second YTD for my store (first is healthcare and third is beauty *cough*) is a miracle.

My STL shared with me that when Toms partners with Target (November 16th) Target shoe sales are expected to donate from sales millions of dollars that will stay in the usa. Toms usually donates a pair of shoes for every pair sold. I am excited about Toms coming to Target. It's a good partnership and not overly expensive. A win win.
Didn't they do that last year with some shirts? Or was it something in the kitchen department? I just remember agreeing with the guest how wonderful it was..

My store is extremely lucky in location. There are no other big box stores nearby. The only grocer is an Albertson's next door, which is kinda pricey. Once we got pfresh added, our sales sky rocketed.

My store has a Wegmans up the road, a Giant across the shopping center, an Aldi's three stores down, and a Super Walmart across the parking lot.

Wow. We only have Trader Joe's in our plaza, but within a couple miles, we have 2 Wegman's, at least 2 Tops, a Super Walmart, BJ's, Aldi, and various smaller shops.

I believe at my store, our top department is Market, then Softlines, Electronics, Hardlines etc...

EDIT: In fact, all day yesterday I was ringing $200+ grocery orders, with birthday gifts, lots and lots of birthday gifts.

There are a few other interesting things Target will be offering during the holidays:
  • New Wish List app launching Oct. 31; guests can save 10 percent on their Wish List on one day of their choosing before Nov. 26

Does this mean, someone could make their wish list a bunch of grocery items, than stack with TM & RC Discount and save 25% on everything?

• New Wish List app launching Oct. 31; guests can save 10 percent on their Wish List on one day of their choosing before Nov. 26

Does this mean, someone could make their wish list a bunch of grocery items, than stack with TM & RC Discount and save 25% on everything?
Happy Thanksgiving.

I mean, Happy Thanksgiving if we were gonna be home to enjoy it.

I bet it'll have some restrictions like being restricted to items from certain departments (not grocery) and/or minimum price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back