Is this Real Life? (A Market vent thread)

We have become relaxed on this ever since the cut in hours starting this year. Who really keeps track of this anyhow Sometimes a pallet is out for 45 minutes.

So because some people chose to eat gluten free even if they aren't a celiac, we should stop selling gluten-free options? And should we stop selling lactose-free milk or dairy products? I really don't understand your logic here, other than "These people have something wrong with them, they should take their business elsewhere."

Yes. Correct. stop selling it or cut down on the choices WAAAAAAAYYYYYY DOWN 99%...Why?

1) Niche market

2) Fad - next year it will be grass milk, oh wait we have some of those grass clipping milks over there. :) :p

3 ) If you choice that kind of food with no medical reason. you are a minority that has fallen prey to excessive hype on this. I bet you have a pet rock too! ;) :)

4) TGT, Krogers, Giant Eagle et al need to focus on the B-A-S-I-C-S... Milk from cows...Real honest milk, if you have WIC acceptance at your store then you have to have certain levels of this to keep that option, at least in my area. We need to make sure that is stocked even those useless white watery things that barely pass as milk (2% etc.)

5) Those with the medical conditions who need this stuff have a litany of other issues that TGT and TM(s) are NOT TRAINED and PREPARED to handle. Nor should they.

TGT is a MAINSTREAM RETAILER not Hippie Hut!

6) As the images show.. you people are getting suckered on this whole organic thing any way.

Quit chasing the fads and niches... those choosing most of this stuff for no reason other than being caught in the fad will move on to the next one just as quick.. Stick to the basics! A few offerings fine... but this whole thing..is out of control! TGT especially can't turn on the dime to go to the next fad.. Yeah maybe you make some money after you get turned, but how much of that junk does my Market Team QMOS.. too much.. and maybe in nannyfornia... it sells it don't sell here!

Again stick to the BASICS.

We have become relaxed on this ever since the cut in hours starting this year. Who really keeps track of this anyhow Sometimes a pallet is out for 45 minutes.

Not here. FDC team has little timers with magnetic backers to stick to the flat... TICK TICK TICK TICK... The FDC Captain is to keep and eye on it and announce and push the team if they are slacking. And some one will be coming by to check them may not be every truck... but some one will come by from the STL to AP to other TL(s).

At 25 minutes you better headed to the cooler along with any freight left from that group.. Switch to something else and comeback...

This rarely happens as I have trained the FDC to down stack it to groups they can handle in under 30 minutes, and they downstack in the coolers so as not to run out the clock downstacking. Just having it kept to amounts on the flat that the team can handle makes it go easier. As this leads to the division of things ie: yogurts / cheese then milks and fake milk, and then juice/teas/coffes.

And with cuts.. the pressure is REALLY on my FDC team to push..push..push..push PUSH! And get off the clock! So they are all the rock stars that we trust to act independently, for the most part, and get'r done!

Not here. FDC team has little timers with magnetic backers to stick to the flat... TICK TICK TICK TICK... The FDC Captain is to keep and eye on it and announce and push the team if they are slacking. And some one will be coming by to check them may not be every truck... but some one will come by from the STL to AP to other TL(s).

At 25 minutes you better headed to the cooler along with any freight left from that group.. Switch to something else and comeback...

This rarely happens as I have trained the FDC to down stack it to groups they can handle in under 30 minutes, and they downstack in the coolers so as not to run out the clock downstacking. Just having it kept to amounts on the flat that the team can handle makes it go easier. As this leads to the division of things ie: yogurts / cheese then milks and fake milk, and then juice/teas/coffes.

And with cuts.. the pressure is REALLY on my FDC team to push..push..push..push PUSH! And get off the clock! So they are all the rock stars that we trust to act independently, for the most part, and get'r done!

Ya we break pallets down on the line onto flatbeds and its pretty easy to push it all out within 30 minutes that way. Small Volume store though...Our largest loads are usually 500-600

My ETL Log apparently thinks it can get done in 3 1/2 hours (they also get a break) though and expects them to backstock everything completely as well as do all the cardboard. Problem is we push during the 3:30-7 time period. You know, the period in which the store and usually Pfresh are the busiest during the entire day. Complile that with the line being on the other side of the store from our backroom coolers and pfresh being at the front of the store when our backroom is in the back, it is alot of wasted minutes just going to and from pfresh. Especially since the options of getting to Pfresh are going through electronics/toys or going though mini seasonal/seasonal.

All push for c&s they tried to tell me frozen is now 45 mins...I just laughed, and laughed...

...YELLOW STERITECH VISIT TODAY !!! And the entire upper management team is on vacation for the rest of the weekend. Dtl is due for visit tomorrow as well as a stl from another store to check in on us....I'm so happy I could cry.

Alrighty, been meaning to respond to one of these

Yes. Correct. stop selling it or cut down on the choices WAAAAAAAYYYYYY DOWN 99%...Why?

1) Niche market

It's only niche depending on where you live.

2) Fad - next year it will be grass milk, oh wait we have some of those grass clipping milks over there. :) :p

No we don't.

3 ) If you choice that kind of food with no medical reason. you are a minority that has fallen prey to excessive hype on this. I bet you have a pet rock too! ;) :)

*farting noise*

4) TGT, Krogers, Giant Eagle et al need to focus on the B-A-S-I-C-S... Milk from cows...Real honest milk, if you have WIC acceptance at your store then you have to have certain levels of this to keep that option, at least in my area. We need to make sure that is stocked even those useless white watery things that barely pass as milk (2% etc.)

If you think 2% is watery I am afraid to know what the hell you think skim is.

5) Those with the medical conditions who need this stuff have a litany of other issues that TGT and TM(s) are NOT TRAINED and PREPARED to handle. Nor should they.

TGT is a MAINSTREAM RETAILER not Hippie Hut!

Nobody is expecting them to "handle the guests" who have celiac or are lactose intolerant.

I can understand cutting down the selection, but really, an intolerance to lactase is not something that's not in regards to a fad.

Nobody is calling it "Hippie Hut".

6) As the images show.. you people are getting suckered on this whole organic thing any way.

One example is not representative of it all.
and maybe in nannyfornia... it sells it don't sell here!

I like how you refer to Nannyfornia, because apparently it's nannying to list what's in the food. OH NO FORGIVE US FOR WANTING TO KNOW WHAT WE'RE CONSUMING.

hahahaha you guys actually have a FDC "captain" and the timer? seriously how much money does your store get for hours

Last edited:
hahahaha you guys actually have a FDC "captain" and the timer? seriously how much money does your store get for hours
We have a couple of these still kicking around...use to send them out with my newbies just so they could get a feel of what 30mins really is. Nice full green rack of autofill-just to see how far they could get. Lol.

It's only niche depending on where you live.

Nope its a niche, with the exception of nannyfornia.. which just sucks in all the hippies.. which is fine.. keep em there!

No we don't.

Yes we do.. that green gooddes gunk or what ever it is.. ground up grass clippings juice! err milk... since we are using a loose definition of milk.

If you think 2% is watery I am afraid to know what the hell you think skim is.

Cloudy water! :) ;)

I
Nobody is expecting them to "handle the guests" who have celiac or are lactose intolerant.

Guest like this are "needy" less than the on the fad train guests, but they are "needy" with a bunch of questions about this or that in foods... NOT TM(s) problems at a MASS RETAILER. No it is not good guest service. It becomes a liability in 2016 when you give this kind of "guest service" you will get sued personally and the store you suggest something is nut free or something... Best to just stay out of it.. and NOPE that doesn't mean we need more labels... That is a consumer problem to find out that info in advance online.

If your shopping at Hippie Hut then I would expect and demand that knowledge as they are so uptight that some gnat might have been harmed in the process... MASS RETAILERS ie: TGT, Krogers etc.. that is NOT their jobs and its a HUGE LIABILITY!

an intolerance to lactase is not something that's not in regards to a fad.

I specifically excluded those with LEGIT med issues...

[
Nobody is calling it "Hippie Hut".

I am, we have a store in my town which is like 2-3 store in several areas and it has a name similar to that... it is what is.. Hippie Hut... The commune lives on there...

I
One example is not representative of it all.

SUUCCKKKKER!!! If you think any of the other organics are any better... you are a SUCCCKKKKERR!

I
I like how you refer to Nannyfornia, because apparently it's nannying to list what's in the food. OH NO FORGIVE US FOR WANTING TO KNOW WHAT WE'RE CONSUMING.

Yes it is! This country got along for decades before all those stupid *&%&^$^%&# labels! We do not need them now.

It is pure nannyment in action! If you need that or want that in 2016, you can get that ONLINE! The number of people who read that crap I can count on 1 hand with 5 fingers left!

Its the "cool" fad to act like you give a *^&*^*&^ about this stuff... puhleasee... Who cares what makes cheetos orange! NUMMM NUMMM! Enjoy your food.. don't dissect it.

Yes, we do.. and we use timers not just for the FDC... It cut 15 minutes off the unload when they are forced to keep the pace, and I keep shoving boxes at them! They got the hint, quick! They can have my pace, or I can get another of the TL's to use their pace, and they will BEG for mine back.. but the sucking of hours on unload is not going to continue.

Well I am not going to reveal info like that here too easy to search for that number.... but it has been in the higher 3 digits near 4 digits, but has dropped drastically with all the cutting.

Good ole made up titles to avoid actually paying people. Never done the timers myself but we did have someone that ran my FDC team, I wish he hadn't retired.

True, but the FDC/Truck captain is the next TL here. And we are trying to groom their replacement.. We let them handle the FDC and don't pester them.. they act independently and run their team as needed. Unless we have problems...

It also gets that person more than the 3.5 hours that the rest of the team is getting, before being ran out the door. FDC pretty much doubles that for them..

Yes it is! This country got along for decades before all those stupid *&%&^$^%&# labels! We do not need them now.

It is pure nannyment in action! If you need that or want that in 2016, you can get that ONLINE! The number of people who read that crap I can count on 1 hand with 5 fingers left!

Its the "cool" fad to act like you give a *^&*^*&^ about this stuff... puhleasee... Who cares what makes cheetos orange! NUMMM NUMMM! Enjoy your food.. don't dissect it.

We as a country also got along quite fine before women had the same rights as men, and when we had slaves. Just because the country was doing good then does not mean we can get better. The labels are good. It helps people know what they're eating. Just because you don't care doesn't mean other people don't.

I'll say that in Texas, organics are exploding. Local grown organics especially. Just because you don't buy into the organics trend does not invalidate it at all.

Here's what I know, driven by facts: we can't keep enough organic berries or bananas. Organic baby spinach out sells all salads except for regular baby spinach. Organic drinks sell like crazy. Chicken sells pretty well. Why? Price isn't that much different than the regular stuff and the quality is top notch.

If target could move away from the sealed grass fed meat and go for a better looking package that's a little more affordable, we'd see an increase in sales.

I shouldn't call this health thing a trend. It's well past that. Target should invest more in organics -- giving them a nice display with sufficient advertising.

Masteroffrogs, I think your prejudice is clouding your view of your customer base. Yes, there are items that don't sell, but that's not a representation of the 'niche' it belongs to. It's just that no one likes nasty ass beets.

We had a endcap cooler filled with Kosher food and an entire section in dry the same way.
I suspect there are plenty of stores that don't have that and for good reason but in our area where a good third of the population was either Jewish or Muslim (if they can't find Halil they buy Kosher) it was good business.

I can understand the business model of keeping it to the basics but it also makes sense to modify to the local market.

I've noticed that items we used to carry but are now no longer on planogram have remained as "active". FDC is still pushing these items to the store. I have been having to MySupport them requesting that they be changed to discontinued. FDC won't or rather isn't supposed to send it if it's discontinued.

We had a endcap cooler filled with Kosher food and an entire section in dry the same way.
I suspect there are plenty of stores that don't have that and for good reason but in our area where a good third of the population was either Jewish or Muslim (if they can't find Halil they buy Kosher) it was good business.

I can understand the business model of keeping it to the basics but it also makes sense to modify to the local market.

Ive posted this before...The 100-80-20 rule.

TGT, Krogers, Foodland, and other MASS FOOD RETAILERS .. need to COVER THE BASICS 100% to a LEVEL of 80%

That means potatoes, red, russet, etc.. onions, red, yellow, white, a GOOD VARIETY OF THE BASICS... dry and fresh to a level of 80%

Now... the remaining 20% can be divided up into things for the niche ie: hippie drinks ie: every bolthouse jug in the planet, and higher end stuff... ie: more meats veal, lamb etc. and better grades and cuts ie: Porterhouse, Angus, etc..

TGT is far TOO FOCUSED on NICHE / FAD things: yogurt, grass clipping juice, fake milk, and pineapples... really what the *(*&^ are we to do with pineapples other than QMOS!

Additionally TGT needs to tone it down, WAYY DOWN on the preaching about "choose well."

Ethnic food.... outside of "taco kits" is just a waste... those people don't shop here! They flood the local store that shall not be named. And any cult that has diet restrictions, is not anything I want to be a part of, but I don't do cults anyway.

I can count on one hand the number of guests who come in looking for the nut juice, clippings juice and organic this or that, and gluten this or that. and have fingers left!

The real milk coolers will be practically emptied (our milk vendor sucks! And no matter how much we force they just suck more!) while that other fake milk will be falling off the shelf.. if sells in nannyland, then lets transfer it there and leave it! One cooler of fake milk, one cooler for grass clippings juice and one for yogurt.

Now lets get the stuff we really need THE BASICS. Fads will come and go... the basic vegetables, fruits, eggs, milk etc. will still out sell this that stuff any time. TGT doesn't need to chase the Whole Foods hippie whackos.. and for good reason, WF is HURTING for sales! Wegmans may cater to the uber higher end of things, but even they know they need to COVER THE BASICS!!!

Threw out 160 pounds of grapes that weren't ordered and 3 cases of bagged sweet potatoes that also weren't ordered either. Why? Because mold and fuck you, FDC. I didn't QMOS them either.

My FDC team QMOS'd so much crap right from the truck it was like why is there all these QMOS bins and overflowing with MOLDY and SQUISHY product!!

There was a real thrashing about to happen till we looked at the crap that came right off the truck! :mad:

It won't do a damn bit of good.. we've mentioned the quality or errrr the LACK THEREOF and it changes nothing!

My FDC team QMOS'd so much crap right from the truck it was like why is there all these QMOS bins and overflowing with MOLDY and SQUISHY product!!

There was a real thrashing about to happen till we looked at the crap that came right off the truck! :mad:

It won't do a damn bit of good.. we've mentioned the quality or errrr the LACK THEREOF and it changes nothing!

Stop qmosing the product. Eventually they'll realize the error of their ways.

STAND AND RIOT

Ya we break pallets down on the line onto flatbeds and its pretty easy to push it all out within 30 minutes that way.

We break out occurs in the coolers, except frozen.

My ETL Log apparently thinks it can get done in 3 1/2 hours (they also get a break) though and expects them to backstock everything completely as well as do all the cardboard.

3 Hours and you better be done! OR ELSE! The truck better be huge, lack of TM(s) due to DC truck volume or something or some reason..

No breaks, and no lunches unless absolutely required... PUSH PUSH PUSH!

FDC team here has nothing to do with BS.. that is BRTM deal, you no mess with the BR tasks here or face the wrath of kahn aka BRTL.

Problem is we push during the 3:30-7 time period. You know, the period in which the store and usually Pfresh are the busiest during the entire day

That is totally brain dead, even more so than doing it in the AM, as here, but worse.. Since some of my sister Supers get 2 deliveries per day, they don't get a choice I guess. Maybe they don't work till later.. never inquired... I know my FDC team would walk out or no longer do FDC if it was not in the AM, and not with the rest of Flow.

This is why LOG process should be done during store close to store open.

. Complile that with the line being on the other side of the store from our backroom coolers and pfresh being at the front of the store when our backroom is in the back, it is alot of wasted minutes just going to and from pfresh.

This is why it is sorted in the coolers.. Pallets are dragged through the open store :eek: :eek: and shoved in the coolers, to be sorted.

If my FDC team didn't waste time down stacking they would leave in 2 hours or so.. lots of wasted payroll there.

Back