Is this Real Life? (A Market vent thread)

I'm left alone, for the most part. With staffing as short as it is, I run around food areas so I'm never able to go and do anything outside of my side of the store.

You will be a lucky one. Other pa's are stuck doing zone in dry market. You will work hard at it, I am sure,

Im about to go in for my market shift tonight ...2-8:30 and im sure the expecation will be that I get all the pulls done, milk will probably need to be pushed along with bananas, ice will probably be half empty and the entire zone will be expected to be done. Add that to the fact most of my green racks will prob have a lot of backstock from the truck that needs to be done...should be a fun night.

Technically we are supposed to zone dry market on close and coolers/freezers for open or midday. I can't recall the last time a closer got to actually zone more than a handful of aisles though. We get pulled for everything else and by time CAFs are pushed and the floor is full, its time to go home (and run cause everyone else is waiting).

This....IDK if its just me or not but I can never actually get to zoning the whole thing because usually the zone is so crap it takes double the time it should take. Its funny how when sometimes I close back to back the zoning the second night goes way way faster. hmmmmm....wonder why that is

For my closing it sucks because we are usually only there til 8 or 8:30 and usually there is a working closing huddle in shoes 1/2 the time that takes 30 minutes and generally having to help everyone on the market side of the store because they cant find anyone else takes time

I'm about to start kicking people in the face.. What was in the SDA today?

Back to the Future.

Do I appreciate the irony that I had to check the date on a time-based movie?
Yes
I'm just mad that I had to walk to the opposite end of the store for a technological goose chase.

Back to the Future.

Yes
I'm just mad that I had to walk to the opposite end of the store for a technological goose chase.
Just hit out of stock. Or type in the dpci and then hit ok. It doesn't matter. You just want it out of the sda.

I just transferred to a different store and they messed up and put me on closing shifts the first week. The first night trying to get the zone done for everything was impossible. By Thursday, I was finished early. It helped that aisles were being reset by plano all week long, but It really really does make a huge difference if it gets done every night. The freezers especially. No mid-days were done this week either and apparently they usually are.

I guess my point is that yes, being responsible for zoning dry is a lot of territory along with all the other stuff we have to do, but if it's done well consistantly, it makes such a difference. Not to mention a good zone drives sales right?

Back to the Future.

Yes
The other day I had 8 shower curtains in the SDA, today was a volleyball...

I just transferred to a different store and they messed up and put me on closing shifts the first week. The first night trying to get the zone done for everything was impossible. By Thursday, I was finished early. It helped that aisles were being reset by plano all week long, but It really really does make a huge difference if it gets done every night. The freezers especially. No mid-days were done this week either and apparently they usually are.

I guess my point is that yes, being responsible for zoning dry is a lot of territory along with all the other stuff we have to do, but if it's done well consistantly, it makes such a difference. Not to mention a good zone drives sales right?
Yeah. I like opening since I get out early, but I also enjoy closing multiple nights in a row because even if I only get part of the zone done I know the next time I'll get more.

Yeah. I like opening since I get out early, but I also enjoy closing multiple nights in a row because even if I only get part of the zone done I know the next time I'll get more.

Ya tonight went pretty well for my zone. Because Plano basically changed half of dry market it seems it went pretty well. The only aisles I didnt get to were Chips and Candy.

I would take opening over closing any chance I got though. I hate closing with a passion. Way more guests, always have to help with nonmarket things because NOBODY is on the floor to help them usually. Along with people generally being more grumpy and rude. That along with the fact all I feel like I am ever there for is to zone and push out product its just not as rewarding. Its more of a pressure thing too. Oh I HAVE to get this zone done, or it will look bad on me. Not to mention everytime I close they freaking schedule me to open half the time the next day. I had a Clopen Tu/We and have another one Tonight/Tommorow. Also less hours for closing which sucks

I much prefer doing all the morning tasks, especially since the first half of your shift there are barely any guests in the store and IMO everyone seems a little less stressed out and relaxed. Also idk if its just me but whenever I have to close it just puts a damper on my whole morning, just knowing I have to go to work and be there at night. Actually having time to do projects and not have to zone half or more than half my shift is great

Basically....I hate zoning and when I work I just want to get up, knock it out and then enjoy the rest of my day. None of these closing or Clopening shenanigans

Also tip for everyone. I saw on Redwire something about Meat pricing and Couponing and something happening there in August, Check it out when you get the chance it was like 4 pages, but I didnt have time to go through any of it. Sounded like we were actually keeping meat out that was expiring on the day we were open so less meat QMOS hopefully?

Last edited:
Yeah. You'll no longer throw out meat until the day after it expires. You can no longer TPC meat. Also, couponing is done in two stages -- once on two days before the date, a higher coupon the day of. We are also getting a nice spot for all of our soon to be trashed product so the cheapo guests just have to look at one section.

Shenanigans.

Yeah. You'll no longer throw out meat until the day after it expires. You can no longer TPC meat. Also, couponing is done in two stages -- once on two days before the date, a higher coupon the day of. We are also getting a nice spot for all of our soon to be trashed product so the cheapo guests just have to look at one section.

Shenanigans.
We never bothered with tpcing meat, always went straight to coupons.

Found out we are a Pilot store for a new PFresh setup, with about twice as much produce as we had before

So today was fun. Pushed out 2 tubs of produce product that had been sitting in the back since Thursday night C+S push that was never backstocked. Manged to work out about half of it to the floor and the other half to a empty green rack which cleared some much needed space in the cooler.

Also got rid of some expired product in the produce room and items that had been sitting back there for way too long

We weren't supposed to be TPCing any meat that is auto ordered all this time, but when the FDC short date pushes 5 cases of chicken breast expiring in 5 days, you do what you have to. My thinking has always been I'd rather get something for it, rather than qmosing and getting nothing. This new coupon direction will be interesting. And a spot just for couponed meat? With the ever changing quantities of what it happens to be, chicken or beef etc, following food safety guidelines will be challenging:rolleyes:

It could be a good idea, but I'll ask why we are getting so much product that such a spot is warranted. The auto order system is awful. It's seen in meat and produce a lot, and sometimes dairy. Whoever controls supply and pushes needs a good kick. We are being pushed product we can't sell, except at a loss. That reflects on the department. They're forcing losses on us, and I don't understand how higher ups don't see that as a problem. Surely less losses would be better for everyone. Logic alludes them.

Back