Archived Prepaid RedCards

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's all I use now. I load money on it when it's running low and swipe it anywhere AMEX is accepted. You can also link it to your bank, direct deposit and at one point if you put your tax return on it you get an extra $20 for doing that. I love that card so much.

That's all I use now. I load money on it when it's running low and swipe it anywhere AMEX is accepted. You can also link it to your bank, direct deposit and at one point if you put your tax return on it you get an extra $20 for doing that. I love that card so much.
I'll have to get one then, if just for the $20 tax return money. That's pretty cool.

I have one, and it has replaced my target debit. I never shop for much, so I will just add up the amount of what im buying before and reload the card right before I make my purchase. Its much easier to maintain than the debit. No waiting 3-4 days for purchases to appear and same with returns. Easy online management and all the same benefits.

This looks to be a much better option than the Target paycard by citi...Those are the worse. Id get one of these though.

Not that they communicated this to us but Target is no longer accepting loads from credit cards onto the prepaid amex. You can only load with debit, cash or in some cases non target gift cards. This change happened on May 6. Ton of abusers manufacturing spending on their credit cards. Many websites dedicated to how to game the prepaid redcard. All of them knew the CC loads wouldn't last but encouraged people to do so while it lasted.

On another note, I recently go one (prepaid amex redcard) but they won't let me register it unless I send them a copy of my SS card or a medicare card with my SS on it. I lost my ss card years ago. I use a passport for I9's. I guess I am tossing the temp after I empty it.

We've had them since before XMas, well sinced I became employed by Spot. No fee to reload. After you have the card you need to go online to get it set up and verify your email addy, etc. You can request a card be sent to you with your name in it. As far as my store management is concerned, a sign up for the prepaid card is considered a RC sign up. A reload does not count, however. Guest gets all of the perks of a traditional RC. Several of my store's TM use them, esp. those with poor or no credit.

@SallyHoover, how was that abusive? And the change was communicated via REDWIRE on May 4.

I understand why the credit card companies didn't like it. I used my Capital One to load my card so I got points for travel from Cap One plus the 5% discount at Target when I used it.

RedMan, I think the rationale was doing it to use at Target was one thing and Target was ok with that. That is why they set it up and origianlly had it that way. The abuse came in where there were many who would fill with the max every month and then go straight to the ATM and withdraw it as cash or once loaded with CC would then go online and use it as a bill pay feature to immediately pay the cc bill or their mortgage or whatever with Target covering the CC transaction fee and then seeing less than those fees actually being spent at target. Several sites promoted this including frequent flier sites as well as those promoting manufactured spending for other rewards.

No one has ever communicated to me what Redwire is either, I would imagine it is on workbench which they don't give me paid time to sit at the computer at work to peruse what's new. I do have a few moments between guests so it is a shame they took away the newsletter thing at the registers with that kind of info. If I want to know I have to do it online at home if I am interested enough to do so and for the record I did ask my gsa what was going on when I saw it twice on Saturday. We are down several gstl's currently and the gsa had no idea and told the guest to call her cc company.

We've had them since before XMas, well sinced I became employed by Spot. No fee to reload. After you have the card you need to go online to get it set up and verify your email addy, etc. You can request a card be sent to you with your name in it. As far as my store management is concerned, a sign up for the prepaid card is considered a RC sign up. A reload does not count, however. Guest gets all of the perks of a traditional RC. Several of my store's TM use them, esp. those with poor or no credit.

We were told prepaids do not count as a RC sign up. When I went to go online it would not let me fully activate my account or send me a card with my name unless I sent them a copy of my SS card.

People were using the cards to churn so they got rid of the CC loading, which honestly is completely asinine. I'd say most of the people who bought and reloaded them, at least with me, were using it to churn. It sucks because Walmart has a similar card that was popular, and then Target released this and many people were switching over because they preferred Target to Walmart, so at the very LEAST we were getting them into the store.

Thanks for the info, @SallyHoover. This hasn't been communicated to me either. The network was down over the weekend and I wasn't sure what was going on. I had a guest try to reload his card last night and the system wasn't having it. Nice to know! I too have no clue what Redwire is (or workbench to be honest, though I get the gist of it).

Seven or eight years ago we carried something similar. It was a reloadable gift card that was marketed for college kids and their parents. Mom and dad had one part the kid the other, then the thought process was that they added money whenever junior needed it. It was popular in our store due to the university close by.

I remember those.
I also remember a couple of instances where the kid got the wrong portion & couldn't buy anything.
Just 'cause they're college kids doesn't mean they (or their parents) are smart.

We've been a pilot store for the Prepaid RedCards.
When you first get the prepaid card you have to provide your drivers ID and some other information. After the guest goes home then the guest has to go online to kind of re-register. They use the temporary card until the new card with their personal info on it. A temporary prepaid card cannot be reloaded.
The advantages of the prepaid card are the same as the regular Redcard or Redcard Debit. The biggest advantages are that the prepaid card is protected.....so if you lose the card you will not lose the money....also since the card is Amex sponsored it means that you can use the card anywhere....anywhere that accepts AMEX. The Redcard benefits of the 5% savings/free shipping/extra time for returns/TCOE and pharmacy rewards is ONLY good at Target.

This prepaid card sure is an awful lot like the Target VISA cards we used to have.....and in many cases still have.

And no matter how hard you work to get a guest to get the prepaid card......the card doesn't count towards anything at all.......although I wonder if that will change when the prepaid card is available across the Target universe.

Since this is a card that is bank based the company ( prepaid cards) needs to have your SS to identify that you are who you say you are. This is no different than when people sign for either of the other redcards....the guest must provide their SS number.

Hope this was helpful!

Be careful with these. If there is a large purchase say $500 , when the guest uses the card it takes $25 off. Even if they only take $20 off the card. The remaining balance will be $455 instead of $479 with the regular redcard. It is a pretty bad quirk that some fraudsters have figured out, hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Well, today I got my first guest trying to put money on their prepaid card using their credit card........things have changed......guests can't use their regular credit cards to put money on the prepaid card anymore.........the guest was not happy.

This guest has been using their credit card for months now...so today she wanted to put $500 on the prepaid......the register clearly states that the credit card cannot be used. The part of this situation that stinks is that the guest is a TM at my store and she wanted to know how long this new rule had been in effect. Pretty sad when a TM doesn't even know the new rule.

The worst part of this is that the TM is a cashier.

This new "policy" of not being able to use a credit card to put money on the prepaid card is really going to get people mad.....and as the cashier I'll be stuck having to tell the guests of this new policy. At the moment, I think I'd rather have to deal with the breach again!

This will test my "VIBE" skills.

E
We've been a pilot store for the Prepaid RedCards.
When you first get the prepaid card you have to provide your drivers ID and some other information. After the guest goes home then the guest has to go online to kind of re-register. They use the temporary card until the new card with their personal info on it. A temporary prepaid card cannot be reloaded.
The advantages of the prepaid card are the same as the regular Redcard or Redcard Debit. The biggest advantages are that the prepaid card is protected.....so if you lose the card you will not lose the money....also since the card is Amex sponsored it means that you can use the card anywhere....anywhere that accepts AMEX. The Redcard benefits of the 5% savings/free shipping/extra time for returns/TCOE and pharmacy rewards is ONLY good at Target.

This prepaid card sure is an awful lot like the Target VISA cards we used to have.....and in many cases still have.

And no matter how hard you work to get a guest to get the prepaid card......the card doesn't count towards anything at all.......although I wonder if that will change when the prepaid card is available across the Target universe.

Since this is a card that is bank based the company ( prepaid cards) needs to have your SS to identify that you are who you say you are. This is no different than when people sign for either of the other redcards....the guest must provide their SS number.

Hope this was helpful!
Exactly how is it protected? I just swipe it and the transaction is done even though I put in a PIN when I first signed up. I'm always afraid I'm going to lose it, someone find it and clean me out. The only time I use a PIN is at the ATM to withdraw.

On a regular CC you are not responsible for the charges (over $50.00) on a lost card....if you report the card missing....since the pre-paid card already has money on it, this is what is protected.

For example....a guest has $600.00 on the prepaid card......they lose the card, or someone steals it (and they know your PIN)......they can use it until the $600.00 is spent....that leaves the guest out all that money. However, the protection is that the bank (in this case AMEX) will give you $550.00 back......(that's minus the $50.00 after reporting the lost card.)

Now this is how I'm understanding it.....so as long as I'm understanding it correctly we're all good.

So I'll be passing through states that are currently piloting these. I'm planning on picking one up, but I'm glad that I read deep into the T&Cs because I am currently not eligible because I have (and use religiously) the Bluebird Amex that Walmart pushes. I've had that card longer than I've worked for Spot and adore their pre-authorized (bounce proof) checks. So, I'm in the process of moving my direct deposit back over to my checking account so I can close that card to open the Spot one.

Yup, it's called "manufactured spending". Look it up - people will load them up with their AMEX and get the Miles for their credit card while still saving the 5%. People do this with gift cards all the time to meet "spending bonuses" on Credit Cards (i.e. spend $3,000 in 3 months and get 50,000 airline miles).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back