Archived Self-Checkout coming soon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard talk we're getting those at my store. You can use them anywhere that has a power outlet and ethernet/CAT5 jack.
So do you have to wait 15 minutes for the register to boot every time you move it? And it doesn't go over the wifi? Sounds useless, but I haven't had experience with one so I can't say.

I'm not sure about booting, but would you really trust the wi-fi for running a POS station? The thing would be offline half the time.

If that's how they are going to look, I give it an F. Looks terrible and if it's on wheels, gonna be an epic fail. Wal Mart wins on self checkout if the pic above is the final product.

That looks more like a portable cashier, no way that's for guest use, it has a proper cash drawer, allowing the user to take money from it.

We got at least 2 of them. I am guessing they are for black friday

Extra registers for Electronics?

I joked about them being our new PDAs

I heard talk we're getting those at my store. You can use them anywhere that has a power outlet and ethernet/CAT5 jack.
So do you have to wait 15 minutes for the register to boot every time you move it? And it doesn't go over the wifi? Sounds useless, but I haven't had experience with one so I can't say.

I'm not sure about booting, but would you really trust the wi-fi for running a POS station? The thing would be offline half the time.
Then what practical use is there for it? I wouldn't even know where to find an ethernet port in the store.

That looks more like a portable cashier, no way that's for guest use, it has a proper cash drawer, allowing the user to take money from it.
It may have a drawer but it's probably not banked, which would make sense if it's mobile & set for debit/credit only.
When it boots up, it would have a spec loc tied to it no matter where it's situated.

Turns out my spot might have a different vision for self checkout at some stores...I present to you...THE MOBILE REGISTER!!!
AE29C419-6477-4BC6-A437-349E31F23D98_zpsrfmtyjn2.jpg

I would really hope that we don't have random ethernet ports around the store that are cabable of being connected to the payment processing system...

Turns out my spot might have a different vision for self checkout at some stores...I present to you...THE MOBILE REGISTER!!!
AE29C419-6477-4BC6-A437-349E31F23D98_zpsrfmtyjn2.jpg

I would really hope that we don't have random ethernet ports around the store that are cabable of being connected to the payment processing system...

I would imagine the network is set up to only allow specific machines (POS terminals) to access the system and reject unrecognized devices (i.e. if someone brought a laptop and plugged in).

@PinkZinnia I know exactly what you're talking about. It happened to me the other day. After I scanned one of those threshold coupons ($5/$30), it gave me an error that said something like "Waiting for POS Response". When someone came over to help, I saw the only option was to void.

Other coupons (like $1.50/2 candy bags) have the option to accept anyway or decline.

Apology Barcodes can be used to "accept anyway" as a workaround. There used to be $1,$3,$5 Barcodes somewhere on work bench. They ring up as a "Target Coupon".. and will show up on the receipt as a manually entered coupon (just like a K1).
@HardlinesFour, you can't work around it. The only option is void. When you put your numbers in and that blue screen comes up with the word void in the upper right hand corner all you can do is sigh before you shut down the machine while you explain what happened to the guest and take them to a register.

We just got those portable registers but they aren't set up yet. I am not so sure how portable they will be. They have to be plugged in. I will have to look tomorrow to see if they have other connection wires. I am not sure if there have been outlets set up throughout the store or just where they have been placed.

It may have a drawer but it's probably not banked, which would make sense if it's mobile & set for debit/credit only.
When it boots up, it would have a spec loc tied to it no matter where it's situated.
These registers are not self checkout. They are for cashiers to use.. I hope they don't intend to use them where they put them at our store. They will cause tie ups like crazy.

The guy was setting up our machines today.. The ones we got are not portable. They have to be plugged in and have to have a data port. As far as I know, the only place we have data ports are at the registers and these two new locations.
He did say that the ones he installed recently at two bigger stores got wireless ones. I guess smaller stores don't rate enough to have wireless ones, even though our small sized store does pretty much the same volume

@HardlinesFour, you can't work around it. The only option is void. When you put your numbers in and that blue screen comes up with the word void in the upper right hand corner all you can do is sigh before you shut down the machine while you explain what happened to the guest and take them to a register.

There's a sheet of barcodes, that was floating around on workbench years ago. Basically, there Target Coupons, that work like a gift card when scanned, not requiring any purchase. You could scan them, as needed, when Target Coupons refused to scan. It's a work around.

Most coupons, aren't over $5 anyway, so the denominations available come in very handy.

There's a sheet of barcodes, that was floating around on workbench years ago. Basically, there Target Coupons, that work like a gift card when scanned, not requiring any purchase. You could scan them, as needed, when Target Coupons refused to scan. It's a work around.

Most coupons, aren't over $5 anyway, so the denominations available come in very handy.
You. Can. Not. Work. Around. It! As I said, once the guest scans the coupon the only option is void. These are for coupons that guests get in the mail that say something like 5.00 off groceries if you spend 30.00 or more in groceries. If they haven't and try to use the coupon on the self checkout line, their punishment is to get off that line and wait on a line where there is a cashier who will say, this coupon is to be used when you spend 30.00 in groceries, not 30.00 for your whole order.
You can't fix it, you can't adjust it, you can't use a generic coupon or gift card.. You can only void the transaction. That is your only choice!

bigger question, who will be given hours to man it? I guess "none"
No worries, just park it next to an existing indyme or add it to the indyme list. Have fun when the guest with a cart of groceries wants to check out in furniture.

You can't fix it, you can't adjust it, you can't use a generic coupon or gift card.. You can only void the transaction. That is your only choice!

Who in the world, would be stupid enough to program that? Seriously, just sounds like a nightmare.

Who in the world, would be stupid enough to program that? Seriously, just sounds like a nightmare.
must be the same people who can't figure out how to fix the unsuspend paper from the self checkout registers. It's another glitch that makes self checkouts not very self check out friendly at all. As does the guest waiting for us to plug in the last 4 digits of their credit card when it's over 50.00. Fifty dollars these days is nothing. We stand there spinning plugging our numbers in to put their last 4 digits in. - Hey when you ask for the last 4 digits of the credit card they used have you ever had someone give you the last 4 digits of their social security number? I have and more than once.. I tell them that they shouldn't be giving that number out to freely. It just goes to show you that people don't listen

$50?! So basically between all of this, please tell me there is a dedicated person babysitting these lanes. The GSA would be tied to those things the entire time we are open, otherwise, and ain't nobody got time for that!

$50?! So basically between all of this, please tell me there is a dedicated person babysitting these lanes. The GSA would be tied to those things the entire time we are open, otherwise, and ain't nobody got time for that!

I have seen Zinnia mention a self checkout monitor, but I am unsure if in that usage monitor meant like computer monitor, or monitor like hall monitor (ie. a person).

EDIT: Checked the other thread, it's a screen, so, yeah, probably watched over by the GSA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back