Archived Target mentioned in NYT "Part-Time Schedules, Full-Time Headaches"

Status
Not open for further replies.
A downfall of a set schedule is that the same people would always work weekends. Who would want that? No body, so that is why Target likes to hire open availability. So you need to institute some sort of rotation so the same people aren't always working Friday-Sunday. To do this you need enough people for 2 rotations and to cover vacations. More people equals less hours per TM. Ideally every other week could be the same, unfortunately TMs are unpredictable about attendance so it's easier to just auto generate a list and say here you go. Scheduling isn't as easy as it should be. If TMs didn't call out often, like most professionals, the process could be easier. Add in availability and difficulty increases exponentially.

What is a weekend off? I think I have had 2 maybe 3 weekends since the begining of 2014.

At my store Flow has to always work saturdays...whats the big deal about having to work weekends this isnt high school or college. If you get 2 days off in a row does it really matter whether its Saturday and Sunday or say Wednesday/Thursday. I understand why weekends off would be nice for Parents with kids because kids are off weekends but thats about the only reason I can think of.

No longer taking effort and ability into account when scheduling does away with one of the last incentives we had. I always got pretty good hours, but I'm a super hard worker. I'm not young or smart enough to be developed so working really hard is all I have going for me. I don't think anyone resented my schedule because of my work ethic. I have open availability and will work anywhere they will let me. With MyTime none of that matters anymore. I won't change the way I work, it's just how I am, but I already miss the hours I got. Recently I've been scheduled single digit hours for the week.

What is a weekend off? I think I have had 2 maybe 3 weekends since the begining of 2014.

At my store Flow has to always work saturdays...whats the big deal about having to work weekends this isnt high school or college. If you get 2 days off in a row does it really matter whether its Saturday and Sunday or say Wednesday/Thursday. I understand why weekends off would be nice for Parents with kids because kids are off weekends but thats about the only reason I can think of.

Other reasons why weekends can be important:
1. if you have a spouse with a job that has weekends off
2. Family events (bbqs, picnics) tend to be on the weekend
3. our town has special events on weekends
4. Church/Temple/Mosque
5. Football on Saturday and Sunday

I think there are tons of reasons for wanting the weekend off. Now if you are single, a loner, no family, spouse that you don't care about spending time with, etc. then it doesn't matter what, if any, days you get off.

I had no problem working Sundays but needed Saturday off for Shul.
I was lucky that that wasn't a problem for most of the time they didn't have a problem with that.

I think there are laws that protect those of us with religious practices. So they really can't say too much on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back