MEGATHREAD Target myDevices

@mobileFellow, welcome to The Break Room! We appreciate any help you can provide since the Guys are no longer working on the MyDevices.
For sure - I've been watching for a long time now (since the beginning), figured I'd better jump in with the recent shuffle. I'll bring some more folks that can help too. My goal is to make the stuff we use as ideal as possible ... so anything less than ideal, bring it on, so we can make it better.

...that said, I know things have been rough this year (that kills me and I can read how frustrating that has been for folks). Totally fair to call anything you love/hate - I'll take no offense :D

I'll have to check the logs to see what devices we still have vs the ones I tweaked. I know several were just sent out for various reasons. It appears that whether or not the tweak works varies from device to device. With my most recent attempt, the sled disconnects on slight bumps (occasionally when sliding it into the holster) but reconnects almost immediately. Which is a ton better than the sled not connecting at all.
The foam I've been using is just some scrap I found laying on the SF. It's about 2mm thick (likely packing material for some kind of home decor) and I just use a 2cm square or two under the battery to make sure the contacts meet effectively. On some devices, I put a piece between the iPod and battery door but I can't tell if it's even effective.

I'm guessing you're our new liaison?

I'll be one... I mentioned in another response that I've been watching and working since the beginning, but the 'guys' out, I didn't want to leave ya'll hanging. I'll bring a few more along as well.

Interesting on the disconnect deal though. Maybe there are manufacturing tolerances that allow too much wiggle room ...making some sled/device combos more prone to disconnect with a jostle.

My PMT got information from someone about hard resetting a MyDevice while it's in the charging cradle to resync the iPod and the sled when it refuses to connect. I meant to try it last weekend, but didn't get time. I'll try it tonight, but I think a lot of our problems is a broken physical connection.

What kind of driver do we need to remove the new sled screws at the top of the screen? With the turnaround on repairs being so long, we'd love to be able to fix the small things at our store.

My PMT got information from someone about hard resetting a MyDevice while it's in the charging cradle to resync the iPod and the sled when it refuses to connect. I meant to try it last weekend, but didn't get time. I'll try it tonight, but I think a lot of our problems is a broken physical connection.

What kind of driver do we need to remove the new sled screws at the top of the screen? With the turnaround on repairs being so long, we'd love to be able to fix the small things at our store.

One might want to have a T6 on hand for the newer parts and a T5 for the older.

What's the story on the hard reset? Are you meaning to wipe it altogether or just get it to turn on and connect to the sled?

One of our iPods quit scanning once and no amount of turn off and on, hard reset would fix it. So I took it to the equipment room, put it on the charger. It made the charging tone, took it back off and opened myWork and started scanning again.

One might want to have a T6 on hand for the newer parts and a T5 for the older.

What's the story on the hard reset? Are you meaning to wipe it altogether or just get it to turn on and connect to the sled?
T7 for the front plate/iPod access and looks like a T6 to open the sled. I was thinking it was something other than a standard bit for some reason.

When I say hard reset, I just mean holding power and home until it resets, which I would call a warm boot, but everyone I talk to calls it a hard reset.

We opened up one of our devices and put foam above the sled battery to wedge it into place and it works perfectly now. Thanks for that suggestion, "I can't remember your name right now."

T7 for the front plate/iPod access and looks like a T6 to open the sled. I was thinking it was something other than a standard bit for some reason.

When I say hard reset, I just mean holding power and home until it resets, which I would call a warm boot, but everyone I talk to calls it a hard reset.

We opened up one of our devices and put foam above the sled battery to wedge it into place and it works perfectly now. Thanks for that suggestion, "I can't remember your name right now."

Ok - sweet. Can you snap a pic of where you shove the foam? Do you mean you put the battery in and lay a foam bit on top ...or when the battery is in the bay, you put it along the edge opposite of the contacts to keep it pressed against the contacts ...or between where the battery goes and the iPod itself.

Ok - sweet. Can you snap a pic of where you shove the foam? Do you mean you put the battery in and lay a foam bit on top ...or when the battery is in the bay, you put it along the edge opposite of the contacts to keep it pressed against the contacts ...or between where the battery goes and the iPod itself.
I'll try to get a pic tomorrow but the best combination I found was a little A and a little B. I effectively sandwiched the battery in foam (Sled, foam, battery, foam, door) and put a piece at the 'top' of the battery, pinning it to the contacts. I've tried putting a piece between the ipod and battery door but due to the construction of the sled (there's two fins supporting the ipod from the back of the sled cavity) I didn't find it effective.

Does anyone with the new update know if they fixed the glitch where we can't work tomorrows price changes on fridays?

I'll try to get a pic tomorrow but the best combination I found was a little A and a little B. I effectively sandwiched the battery in foam (Sled, foam, battery, foam, door) and put a piece at the 'top' of the battery, pinning it to the contacts. I've tried putting a piece between the ipod and battery door but due to the construction of the sled (there's two fins supporting the ipod from the back of the sled cavity) I didn't find it effective.

Someone sent me this as well ... clever, use a pack of the sticky 'bumpers' for cabinets and what not.

Attachments

• image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 78
Could we get TPC functionality on myDevices, please? With our new sets and tons of pushes(I can only assume it will continue) we have to TPC a lot of items. It's a pain to walk back to the signing PC and do it there, assuming no one is using it at the time.

Could we get TPC functionality on myDevices, please? With our new sets and tons of pushes(I can only assume it will continue) we have to TPC a lot of items. It's a pain to walk back to the signing PC and do it there, assuming no one is using it at the time.
Just an FYI, most PC's in receiving allow you to TPC as well. But yes it would be helpful to be able to set TPC's up on a MyDevice as long as just anyone couldn't do it. Require a password or something like the PC's do.

Just an FYI, most PC's in receiving allow you to TPC as well. But yes it would be helpful to be able to set TPC's up on a MyDevice as long as just anyone couldn't do it. Require a password or something like the PC's do.

I was unaware of this. Thank you. All I'd have to do is print them!

4 iPods refused the 6 application update today. There needs to be a better way to update these things...

What'd you see? Dim icon waiting to, but never updating ...or something else? PM some serial numbers and I can dig in...
Oh my gosh yes. The guy I was talking to at HQ on the phone unlocked it so I could delete the apps and install fresh and it wouldn't even take that. So far it's 4, I'm afraid I'll have more when I check them all in the AM when I get there.

Some of our myDevices disconnect from the scanner after only 30 mins of work, even after they charge all night. And they go back and forth all day disconnecting. So frustrating.

Some of our myDevices disconnect from the scanner after only 30 mins of work, even after they charge all night. And they go back and forth all day disconnecting. So frustrating.

Try this on the ones you are seeing those quick sled disconnects on and let me know if it does anything for you. Different folks on here and other places have crammed foam or cardboard or whatever to tighten up the battery space. If it works - I may swap a sled or two with you to work on/with the manufacturer a bit.

Attachments

• image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 19
I've been having pretty good luck with the scanner staying connected for a while now. Except when I drop the iPod and it sometimes stops working. Which also sometimes shuts off the beep when you scan something; is there a way to turn that back on? It'll make the "scanner is connected" noise still.

Could use the capacity change button being a teensy bit bigger though.

Loving the number pad, plus upc lookup functionality.

I know my ap said they have the sled key in her office. I'm thinking they may have left each store one, ap or etl might have one.

Hopefully everyone is enjoying the new app as it roles out, it's the last @OtherGuy approved version, though if it's rough we can just say it's because I left a week before it's completion ;)

Hey maybe I can help ...we shipped out that app to all devices to exercise the system used to deliver apps. I'm working on getting folks more comfortable with shipping updates more quickly (a long coming aspiration of UiGuy and myself). The app should disappear if it hasn't already.
Hey, buddy! Quick tip, get used to using the "+Quote" button an then the "insert quotes" button so you can easily reply to multiple people. I always found it easiest to just read where I left off, hit +Quote on everything that needed answering, and then once I read everything answered what I quoted assuming someone else didn't already answer it.

(btw, @mobileFellow is in charge of putting all the really annoying bugs in the system, honestly I always thought it was a weird role, but hey it keeps life fun! No, but really he's a great guy and glad to see he's on here, now he just needs a cool avatar!)

Do any of you guys know what the little shopping bag symbol means?
That's probably the pickup in store icon.
I believe there should also be a new ship from store icon, as I put that in. I think it's a picture of a store, but I'm not 100% sure.

Does anyone with the new update know if they fixed the glitch where we can't work tomorrows price changes on fridays?
@mobileFellow should have the definitive answer, but I was pretty sure it was fixed before I left.

Last edited:
Love the number pad!

Happy to see some of the "activation" fixes for pchg that were most needed.

Huge huge thanks for the scanning queue added (in addition to printer queue, as before). It's a great improvement especially in auto print mode in softlines.

One problem with scan queue I noticed, however - if you scan faster than the 'activate' tone can finish, you can activate and print the next ticket without any audible notification. This causes problems, of course, since we mostly go by the audible cues on pchg. And if we are going to rely on the scan queue, we need the audible cue to know our scan has "registered".

Since we're still having to wait for the whole activate tone to finish before scanning next item, it doesn't save as much time as it could.

To fix this, either the new tone needs to "bite off" the currently playing tone, or they need to play at the same time.

Edit: never used cue and queue as many times together. ahem... Q. :)

Noted. I will add it to our list. Have you ever had a problem with items not getting activated in case you scan too fast without waiting to hear the tone?

Back