I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

Both above posters give excellent advice. Don't worry OP you'll be OK. Just show up to work tomorrow and tell them how you tried to contact the store.

Try avoid calling in sick too often though, especially if you're new. After about 3-6 months, calling in sick isn't as bad.

We just got a new phone system, my ETL and TL were looking at it dumbfounded. They answered one call earlier that morning but couldn't figure out how to answer another one :p

Don't sweat it, it sounds like you really tried to contact the store...so you did everything right

I can't believe that something that is required for graduation can come up at the last second with no prior notice. That is incredibly short sighted for your school to think that everyone can just drop plans at the drop of a hat to come to some graduation requirement that no one had any thought of doing the day before. What sort of school even plans like that? They just wake up that day and say, "hey, let's do this today and make it mandatory and see how many lives we can screw with in the process?"

You should be taking care of that ahead of time, such as asking for the time off proactively. That is the grown up thing to do. Yes the wages aren't great, but its irresponsible to call in because something comes up.

I agree, I just meant if you have to pick it's logical to prioritize school over Target.

So I already called in sick on Monday, but my cold formed fully today, so am coughing horribly and I have to work tomorrow what should I do? (Still on my 90 days)

Call your store phone number, when you get the automated message, press 0 to speak to operator, when operator answers, request to speak with the LOD.

So I already called in sick on Monday, but my cold formed fully today, so am coughing horribly and I have to work tomorrow what should I do? (Still on my 90 days)
Unless you are absolutely dying, go in... Everyone gets a cold. Try take some over the counter to help, and if it gets to be too much, tell your supervisor that you're sick and need to go home.

In my 9 years, I only officially called out once due to illness and temperature. Then I was out on workers comp for a month. Then one day of bereavement leave.

I worked perfectly well, sick, hurt, with no voice...

What is your position in the company? You see at my level and pay grade that type of dedication is not warranted. Say what you will, but never calling out sick when sick as a near minimum wage worker is stupid, causes recovery to take longer, and potentially endangers you/ gets others sick.

The only call ins i have an issue with are the drunk ones. I understand people needing a mental health day though. Retail is brutal.
Where you say - at my level and pay grade that type of dedication is not warranted. - I disagree.. It all has to do with work ethics. Being sick and contagious does call for a call out at any level.. Not coming in because you don't feel like it because you don't think your job is important enough is bad work ethics. If you think your job isn't important enough, then why bother going to work at all..?
Every employee is needed and needs to be working when they are at their job..thats what keeps the wheel turning..when someone is sick, when someone isn't doing their job, it's a bump.. Each bump causes a problem in some capacity.
We have some people who can never do a full scheduled week for some reason or other..they are sick, the alarm didn't go off, thought they were working on a different days. Then tsc has to scramble to get people to stay later and cut hours on other days, or try to call people in..while they are focusing on that, then who is doing their job, no one. As I said, every bump effects different departments.
Unreliable people annoy me.

The other day I had a no call, no show because I called off a little bit after my shift was supposed to start.This morning I was late by about fifteen minutes for my 6am shift. My team leader came in at 8 and had me sign a sheet that put me on a probationary period (can't be late or call off). She said nothing about my tardiness that same morning (I doubt that she knew). When she sees that I was tardy that same morning, will I be terminated or is there a second, final warning?

Last edited:
@GMAJ0R The critical period (aka probationary period) that goes into effect from your Corrective Action, does not take effect until you receive your CCA. You SHOULD be ok on that one late. Be sure to remember to always call in BEFORE your shift starts to avoid this in the future :)

Was is a true NCNS? Because you have until 2 hours after your shift starts for it to be a NCNS. What is this probation period you speak of? Are you within your 90 days of employment? Are these two attendance issues your only marks against you for attendance?

Here's why I ask - if you are past your 90 days then you will need at least 3 documented attendance issues before going to a corrective action. It seems that this "probation period", which is a result from your NCNS, is actually a CA for a NCNS (which is held against you for 6 months). During that period, you can not NCNS again or it will go to Final Warning. Here's to your benefit - a NCNS is not an attendance issue, it's actually Conduct. You being late or calling-out does not go towards your NCNS CA. It will actually accumulate towards a CA for attendance (Performance) - which your TL will need at least 3 documented coaching conversations with you before he/she can write an attendance CA.

As an example - 3 documented conversations about late arrivals or call-outs in a month or so could lead to a CA. However, if your TL is not on top of documentation, or your HRBP follows guidelines, it will take more attendance issues to become a CA. Another TM with 15 call-outs in a month could only see a CA if there isn't documentation. Same goes for NCNS. If you NCNS, came to work for a while and did not receive a CA, then NCNS again, they could only put you on CA not FW because they didn't properly tell you that you have an opportunity to improve.

In summary - you should be fine for coming in late since a NCNS is Conduct and attendance is Performance. I know this because I failed multiple times to apply attendance to NCNS and our HRBP shot it down every time. Just do your best to call whenever possible. Things happen - just don't make a habit out of it.

We have a TM who has been late every single day since the day she started 8 years ago. They ignored it and ignored it until I got pissed having to make it my problem by refusing to let it be my problem anymore. After they were forced to deal with it, they gave her a CA and told her she couldn't be late for another 6 months or whatever the period is. Yeah, right. She went back to being late almost immediately. They kept getting pissed off about it, and I kept refusing to make it my problem.

Then she called off one night, and all hell broke loose.

I don't know what exactly happened, but the day after her next shift, she was five minutes early. The next day, she was two minutes early.

None of us who aren't in the know know exactly what happened. And I'm curious how long this lasts before it's all forgotten about snd things go back to normal.

We have a TM who has been late every single day since the day she started 8 years ago. They ignored it and ignored it until I got pissed having to make it my problem by refusing to let it be my problem anymore. After they were forced to deal with it, they gave her a CA and told her she couldn't be late for another 6 months or whatever the period is. Yeah, right. She went back to being late almost immediately. They kept getting pissed off about it, and I kept refusing to make it my problem.

Then she called off one night, and all hell broke loose.

I don't know what exactly happened, but the day after her next shift, she was five minutes early. The next day, she was two minutes early.

None of us who aren't in the know know exactly what happened. And I'm curious how long this lasts before it's all forgotten about snd things go back to normal.

Sometimes that is what it takes.

@GMAJ0R The critical period (aka probationary period) that goes into effect from your Corrective Action, does not take effect until you receive your CCA. You SHOULD be ok on that one late. Be sure to remember to always call in BEFORE your shift starts to avoid this in the future :)
calling in or not at my store gives you the same treatment. They still ask why you were late - My response usually is - go check and see in the book because I can't remember what i did yesterday let alone 3 days ago. I understand that going around to ask people may be good company policy, but on the other hand it is a waste of time for lod to track you down. They should look in book to see if someone has actually called, and then check track record. I can see if they came up to you and said - I see in the last month you have been late 5 times, is there a reason why you can't make it to work on time? If it's a random late, then there is no reason to waste lod time.

calling in or not at my store gives you the same treatment. They still ask why you were late - My response usually is - go check and see in the book because I can't remember what i did yesterday let alone 3 days ago. I understand that going around to ask people may be good company policy, but on the other hand it is a waste of time for lod to track you down. They should look in book to see if someone has actually called, and then check track record. I can see if they came up to you and said - I see in the last month you have been late 5 times, is there a reason why you can't make it to work on time? If it's a random late, then there is no reason to waste lod time.

Yes, Late is different than No-Show though.

You can be up to 2 hours late without NCNS, but if you show up past 2 hours late without calling it becomes NCNS.

Need Help. My orientation is tomorrow, I'll be working part time in soft lines but on Oct 31st I'm busy all day taking a test to get my GED. Will it look really bad if I show up on my first day already having to ask for a day off? I don't want to make a bad impression but I also need to get my GED. I could reschedule my testing to Nov 21st but I figured that might be worse since its around thanksgiving/black friday. What do you guys think?

Need Help. My orientation is tomorrow, I'll be working part time in soft lines but on Oct 31st I'm busy all day taking a test to get my GED. Will it look really bad if I show up on my first day already having to ask for a day off? I don't want to make a bad impression but I also need to get my GED. I could reschedule my testing to Nov 21st but I figured that might be worse since its around thanksgiving/black friday. What do you guys think?

You'll probably still be on a training schedule at that point, so just talk to HR to see if they can schedule you a different day.

At my store we now have to coach every team member, regardless of the reason they called out. Was told to yet them know that unless you make a bad habit of this that is not a big deal and nothing else will happen. I think they are making us do this, so we have documentation in the event it does turn into a bad habit. Unfortunately we do have a few team members that call-in sick when they just don't want to come to work and know that there is not much that will happen.

At my store we now have to coach every team member, regardless of the reason they called out. Was told to yet them know that unless you make a bad habit of this that is not a big deal and nothing else will happen. I think they are making us do this, so we have documentation in the event it does turn into a bad habit. Unfortunately we do have a few team members that call-in sick when they just don't want to come to work and know that there is not much that will happen.
That's crazy. Any coaching a team member can't be promoted for a whole year! Being sick one time shouldnt cost someone their carrer.

That's crazy. Any coaching a team member can't be promoted for a whole year! Being sick one time shouldnt cost someone their carrer.

You're thinking of corrective action, a coaching means almost nothing.

Back