I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

At my store we now have to coach every team member, regardless of the reason they called out. Was told to yet them know that unless you make a bad habit of this that is not a big deal and nothing else will happen. I think they are making us do this, so we have documentation in the event it does turn into a bad habit. Unfortunately we do have a few team members that call-in sick when they just don't want to come to work and know that there is not much that will happen.
That's crazy. Any coaching a team member can't be promoted for a whole year! Being sick one time shouldnt cost someone their carrer.

You're thinking of corrective action, a coaching means almost nothing.

Also, a year would be a final warning. CA is only 6 months. But regardless, being sick once shouldn't have an effect on a TM with a good attendance record.

Lol I'm so freaking unlucky. I actually enjoy the fast pace, it's likeexercising for 8 hours. I just got a cold today and I'm schedule to work from Thursday to Sunday. Have any of you actually worked with a cold with the more annoying symptoms (sneezing - lot, coughing, etc)? I don't want to call off since I'm still in my probationary period (90 days).

Lol I'm so freaking unlucky. I actually enjoy the fast pace, it's likeexercising for 8 hours. I just got a cold today and I'm schedule to work from Thursday to Sunday. Have any of you actually worked with a cold with the more annoying symptoms (sneezing - lot, coughing, etc)? I don't want to call off since I'm still in my probationary period (90 days).

Take a lot of cold/flu/allergy/congestion aids. I've gone in with eyedrops, nose spray, cough drops, DayQuil, Advil Cold and Sinus, Halls, etc. Drugged up, but it gets you through the day. Drink tea and get Vitamin C. Carry hand sanitizer in your pocket. When you're not working, sleep. If you're feeling really bad, depending on your TL/ETL, perhaps give them a heads up after a "hey, how are you today?" exchange. Most likely they'll ask the same to you and you can just hint how you're under the weather. If it gets bad, you can always ask to leave early.
Feel better!

I got several colds when I was a cashier and I was miserable. As the previous poster said, take medicine, consume extra vitamin C, and sanitize, sanitize, sanitize. You don't want to spread your germs.

So I went to work last week when I had a cold. Thankfully with medicine, I was much better after two days. Concerning seasonal team member hoping to stay on, does being late 1,2, or 3 minutes to my shift (s) majorly influence if I stay past the 90 days?

My ETL tried to tell me that swapping a shift more than twice per month is an "attendance issue." Really? It's not like it short staffs the store -- someone's covering you! Everyone just needs to calm the hell down.

My ETL tried to tell me that swapping a shift more than twice per month is an "attendance issue." Really? It's not like it short staffs the store -- someone's covering you! Everyone just needs to calm the hell down.
no its not yor ETL is full of shit. or your just the best worker in your department, probably both.
no its not yor ETL is full of shit. or your just the best worker in your department, probably both.

Or they've been having problems with people doing constant swap shifts to a point where it has been brought up as an 'issue' in one of the ETL meetings.
So now they have decided to use the classic ETL technique of MSUATGA.
It's a very popular method used by piss poor management across the country when they need rules to fix their 'problems'.

I don't even see the issue with swap shifts, though. Sure if you were swapping nearly every shift of yours it would be questionable but twice per month? Really? Sounds to me like they're just finding things to complain about.

I am a bit ocd with it comes to Swap shifts ( I think I have only done three in 18 years). I need to actually see the etl take me off the schedule and add the other person or vice versa.

it depends on the store. some have the swap shift, doesn't matter as long as someone is working that shift and its not overtime/currently working.

I was asked if I could work on my day off, seeing as I had nothing too do I said okay. That was at about 5 this evening. Since then I have been feeling a bit ill. I just want to know that if I wake up tomorrow and feel totally sick would I be able to call in and say I can't make it due to being ill without having any backlash. I'm still in my 90 day probation since I'm seasonal, but they're always telling us to not come in when your experiences certain symptoms, which I am. I work the fitting room and I'm always around guest I would hate to get one of them sick or even my coworkers.

if you're feeling sick now call them now, and tell them you're feeling ill and wont be in tomorrow. It will not look as bad, and they will have time to get the shift covered. Hope you feel better.

My store apparently has a bizarre rule.

After 90 days, as long as you call in, they don't really do anything. If you do it for 2 weeks in a row, then a TM is put on a LOA. However, if a TM shows up for at least one shift before the 2 week mark, the 2 week period is re-set. That is how one of the pharm techs is able to constantly call out and not be termed or corrected.

I'm actually about to call out now, but that's because this is the very last final exam I'll ever take and I need all of the extra studying time that I can get. Sorry store, my education is worth more than you at this moment..

I'm a seasonal cashier, I called in 2 times;
- Immediate Family Emergency
- Injury and my doctor advised me not to work.

I'm trying to strive for a part-time/full-time job. Lately, they've been giving me 20-30+ hours a week. I don't really argue or try changing it unless I'm backed up with school which is not an issue anymore since I'm done with school for the semester.

But will this affect my standings if I wanted to become a part-time/full-time year-round worker?

I'm a seasonal cashier, I called in 2 times;
- Immediate Family Emergency
- Injury and my doctor advised me not to work.

I'm trying to strive for a part-time/full-time job. Lately, they've been giving me 20-30+ hours a week. I don't really argue or try changing it unless I'm backed up with school which is not an issue anymore since I'm done with school for the semester.

But will this affect my standings if I wanted to become a part-time/full-time year-round worker?
Unfortunately, this generally would affect your chances. If you really are a superstar and your TLs and ETLs like you, then you might have a chance.

At my store, seasonal TMs looking to become permanent must be stellar in all areas of their performance. 2 call-outs or 1 NCNS is enough to bar you from being considered for permanent employment. That's a rule our STL set.

At my store, they've already had their meeting, so unless something drastically changes, the decisions, while not announced, have already been made. I asked my GSTL for numbers (not names) and they are keeping nearly all of our seasonal cashiers, much to my chagrin.

Left early into my shift on Monday with what I think was a stomach bug. Decided to be cautious and chose to call in yesterday, 3 hours before my scheduled shift. Happy to say the LODs I dealt with were very kind in regards to this. Still feeling guilty about not working but knew it was best for me personally.

Was asked to come in on my two days off, one of them being Christmas. I slept through my alarm and called my ETL. I was told not to worry about it, I even stayed 3 hours past the time I was scheduled for. I'm seasonal overnight flow hopefully this doesn't hurt my chances of staying on permanently.

i always feel weird calling out. the only times I've ever called out were actual sicknesses, but even still i just feel odd. i hate it but sometimes you just have to do what's best for you

Back