I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

We have a srtl in my store who will try to shame people when they call in. If he answers the phone and they are calling out he gives them a hard time.

Don't call at all.
You think you should touch the phone under the conditions ur in? ur too sick to call in!

Don't call at all.
You think you should touch the phone under the conditions ur in? ur too sick to call in!

Is it better to just not call at all? That does two things:
  • You get written up or fired for no-call no-show.
  • It doesn't give them opportunity to call someone in leaving the store short handed and foisting more work onto the other team members.

Never be specific. Managers aren't supposed to say what's wrong specifically. What if you had a virus that involved diarrhea? Just don't be specific ok? No manager is gonna want to know what kind of flu or disease you have that day! What MATTERS is that you actually call at least 2-4 hours ahead of time before your scheduled shift so that have time to try to find someone to fill in for you.

Good example:

LOD: Hi can I help you?

TM: This is Chickie dickie. I won't be coming in today because I'm really not feeling good.

LOD: That sucks. Ok! Feel better. Hope to see you your next scheduled shift if your feeling better.

BAD example:

LOD: Hey how can i help you?

TM: Hey won't be coming in today i cant see.

LOD: what do you mean can't see...?

TM: I can't see myself coming into work today.

LOD: well come in tomorrow so we can fill out your pink slip.

I was really sick one day and called out to the key carrier. He told me he had a bunch of CALLOUTS and urged me to come in so I went in for only a few hours. He broke policy but he would always try to add me to his area even though I was not in his department but he would always try to max my hours in February or whenever hours were cut so whatever. Also I knew what a mess would occur if I wasn't there even without the other callouts. Anyone else afraid to take vacation/time off/sick time due to what your area and your store will be like when you get back?

Last edited:
It's not your fault they had callouts though. They can't fire you if you refuse to come in on a day your sick. unless you call out all the time it shouldn't be a problem.

You are correct but I'm a company guy (must hate myself and should get a suicide screening) and think of spot even though I know damn well they don't care about me.
It's not your fault they had callouts though. They can't fire you if you refuse to come in on a day your sick. unless you call out all the time it shouldn't be a problem.

Just called out. I have 3 call outs in my seven months at target, but I have probably around 5 lates (between a half hour to a hour, all with notification). I've never been talked to about the previous lates or call outs, I've never had a NCNS and I think I'm well liked but really have no idea. Does this call out seem like it would be an issue? If it were, would I be talked to before being fired? I guess that's my real concern, is it possible that they will just fire me without any other action if this is a serious problem to them (even though they haven't said anything to me yet)?

If it were, would I be talked to before being fired? I guess that's my real concern, is it possible that they will just fire me without any other action if this is a serious problem to them (even though they haven't said anything to me yet)?

No, after 90 days Target does not fire without a *lot* of documentation, unless it is something extremely serious like theft or violence -- first counselings, then formal write-ups which lead to corrective action (CA), then a final warning (FW). After final warning, you are fired. Spot does not want you winning an unemployment suit.

3 call-outs in 7 months is not bad at all. I've worked here for just under a year and have 4 call-outs, last being in November. As long as it is not a regular habit for you, you will not be written up or even coached.

I'm in my 8th month and I haven't even been (knock on wood) late much less called in.

I don't make enough to do that shit.

I was really sick one day and called out to the key carrier. He told me he had a bunch of CALLOUTS and urged me to come in so I went in for only a few hours. He broke policy but he would always try to add me to his area even though I was not in his department but he would always try to max my hours in February or whenever hours were cut so whatever. Also I knee what a mess would occur if I wasn't there even without the other callouts. Anyone else afraid to take vacation/time off/sick time due to what your area and your store will be like when you get back?
To be honest with you, I can relate to part of what you are saying. I was off this weekend ( the first full weekend I have been off in 5 weeks). I almost wish they had called me to go into work today...why? Because I know that when I go back tomorrow no one will have pushed the dairy/frozen auto fills since Fri. So it will take me forever ( well at least it seems like it ) to not only push the autofills I will pull tomorrow but also what wasn't pushed over the weekend...which in turn puts me beind on my other area of the BR that I am held accountable for . IF the the leaders in the building realized that just a few ppl cant do all the work....this wouldn't be an issue.

So I was told to sign for compliance today due to forgetting to clock out Friday afternoon.

I realized that I forgot once I was halfway home but figured it wasn't a big deal so I just submitted a punch correction at 6am Monday morning. HRTM asked me about it later that morning and I told her I already submitted the correction. She said thanks and I thought that was the end of it.

So is it normal for me to still have gotten compliance for that? Even though the HRTM confirmed that she got my punch correction, the LOD told said it didn't matter.

So I was told to sign for compliance today due to forgetting to clock out Friday afternoon.

I realized that I forgot once I was halfway home but figured it wasn't a big deal so I just submitted a punch correction at 6am Monday morning. HRTM asked me about it later that morning and I told her I already submitted the correction. She said thanks and I thought that was the end of it.

So is it normal for me to still have gotten compliance for that? Even though the HRTM confirmed that she got my punch correction, the LOD told said it didn't matter.

That sounds like BS.
Unless they thought you didn't punch out to avoid going into compliance like for a break.

This sounds more like "We're having a problem getting people to punch correctly so we're going to be draconian assholes for a while to fix that."
Greatest management technique ever.

Unless, you do a lot of corrections maybe why, you got written up. Next time, call the lod & tell them when you get home,

This past Monday, I swear I forgot to clock out. I mean I know I did. When I went in yesterday to try to fix my punch, I noticed a punch for my exact end time had been added and I was not on the list of people with missing punches. I thought this was extremely odd and I have a suspicion the LOD that night put in a punch. I hadn't actually "ended work" until 5 mins after my scheduled end time so I'm kind of annoyed about the missing 5 mins but, w/e I guess.

This past Monday, I swear I forgot to clock out. I mean I know I did. When I went in yesterday to try to fix my punch, I noticed a punch for my exact end time had been added and I was not on the list of people with missing punches. I thought this was extremely odd and I have a suspicion the LOD that night put in a punch. I hadn't actually "ended work" until 5 mins after my scheduled end time so I'm kind of annoyed about the missing 5 mins but, w/e I guess.

The new rule that went into effect about a month ago says that if someone forgets an "obvious" punch, then they are supposed to change it after a day or so (if not sooner). So if someone forgets to punch out, then they are supposed to use your scheduled punch out time. If you were asked to stay later, the LOD is required to change it in the system so you don't get screwed. I suspect there were too many punch corrections that weren't getting done in a timely manner throughout the company.

That sounds like BS.
Unless they thought you didn't punch out to avoid going into compliance like for a break.

This sounds more like "We're having a problem getting people to punch correctly so we're going to be draconian assholes for a while to fix that."
Greatest management technique ever.
He wasn't written up. He had to sign the compliance sheet. Every so often the HRBP will get a burr in their saddle and will want the stores making sure everyone signs the compliance sheet. So it doesn't matter if he went into compliance or not, they just want the sheet signed.

It wasn't about him being in trouble.

He wasn't written up. He had to sign the compliance sheet. Every so often the HRBP will get a burr in their saddle and will want the stores making sure everyone signs the compliance sheet. So it doesn't matter if he went into compliance or not, they just want the sheet signed.

It wasn't about him being in trouble.

Thanks, we never had such an animal in our store so I didn't understand what he was talking about.

Thanks, we never had such an animal in our store so I didn't understand what he was talking about.
I didn't really understand it either, but the LOD and HRTM didn't make a big deal about it so neither will I.

This happened to me. I ended my meal but never started it. When I went to fix it, they added a new meal end but I watch jeopardy every time I have a closing shift with meal lol so I just deleted the punch and fixed it. Doesn't make a difference, in my case, but I felt weird about them fixing it.

I've been out of work all frigging week and last weekend and even though I told them why (c. Diff... a miserable infection. Absolutely miserable. Took Days of misery just to diagnose) I have to get a bunch of call outs because I can't go to work to put my shifts on the board. She's gonna find coverage for the shifts but since she (etl hr) is doing the looking, it won't count as a swap. Bright side: I don't feel like an idiot for hoarding my sick hours! I thought I should use them more since I'm young and healthy. But here I am miserable... And wishing for death.

Yes, HR fixes things like that themselves. My HRTL fixed my punch that night when I punched out for a 15 so I just did another EW at my scheduled end time so they deleted the erroneous one. When I asked about it and thanked her she said that not only is it easy to figure out, they have to have the punches finalized by a certain day or we don't get paid right. You could try putting in a punch correction for the last 5 minutes if you really want to, but HR will probably look at you funny.

Back