I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

I see a heaping cart of BTS coming into my lane & 3 kids start unloading & stacking.
I put my hands on my hips give mom a look & say "Girl, tell me you've got your red card with you for this!"
If she says no, I do the mock surprise & start telling her how much it would knock off her purchase as I'm scanning & bagging everything at rocket speed.
I mention 5% for EVERY single purchase, free shipping for online purchases, extra return window for Christmas shopping, followed by the Take Charge of Education spiel.
I follow it up with how easy it is to apply, completely paperless & quick, that they can pay it off at the service desk if they want but they'll be saving 5% every time hereafter.
I employ gentle teasing, engage the kids, asking them about school & chat mom up.

I see a heaping cart of BTS coming into my lane & 3 kids start unloading & stacking.
I put my hands on my hips give mom a look & say "Girl, tell me you've got your red card with you for this!"
If she says no, I do the mock surprise & start telling her how much it would knock off her purchase as I'm scanning & bagging everything at rocket speed.
I mention 5% for EVERY single purchase, free shipping for online purchases, extra return window for Christmas shopping, followed by the Take Charge of Education spiel.
I follow it up with how easy it is to apply, completely paperless & quick, that they can pay it off at the service desk if they want but they'll be saving 5% every time hereafter.
I employ gentle teasing, engage the kids, asking them about school & chat mom up.

I really wish I could do this, I guess I just lack confidence. It seems like every time I mention the redcard to a guest I get an automatic "No thank you" or "Not today." I don't want to be too pushy or irritating, but I feel like I hardly get to sell the card before I'm shot down.

Then, add cartwheel & coupons savings too.

I really wish I could do this, I guess I just lack confidence. It seems like every time I mention the redcard to a guest I get an automatic "No thank you" or "Not today." I don't want to be too pushy or irritating, but I feel like I hardly get to sell the card before I'm shot down.
It takes practice. And acting skills.
Being older I can get away with a bit of silliness but I do always ask the kids about their upcoming school year.
I chat them up like they're my neighbor, offering lunchbox tips, etc.
And I did always ask if they found everything OK, leadership be damned, because if we didn't have something I could at least give them suggestions of where else to look.

This was me yesterday! I always engage in conversation with the guests when they come through my lane (I love the ones who come with a ton of trial-size stuff 'cause that means they're about to travel - I've met a lot of interesting people like that). So, when a mom purchased over $500 worth of stuff for her college-bound son, I was like I'm sure you have a REDcard to get this down some! She didn't. So, I gave her the rundown and she still wasn't interested (she had a Discover card in her hand). I told her that she could still use her Discover card. If she applied and was approved, I'd take the 5% off (we also offer guests a 10% incentive just for applying). She was cool with that. Told her if she really didn't want the card to just cut it up when she got it and cancel her account. People will do just about anything just to save money. Sometimes I feel like I'm being exploitative but you do what you gotta!

Okay, I read back like 10 pages... how does Target make any money on the debit redcard? I mean I get the push for the credit card (interest rates, APR, and whatnot), but the debit card...?

Okay, I read back like 10 pages... how does Target make any money on the debit redcard? I mean I get the push for the credit card (interest rates, APR, and whatnot), but the debit card...?
RC drives loyalty, loyal guests come back and drive sales, sales = $$$
Also, they don't pay transaction fees, though part of that goes into the 5%

RC drives loyalty, loyal guests come back and drive sales, sales = $$$
Ah... but I feel like people like Target anyway? (or liked it, at least).
If every TM gets really pushy about the red card, I almost feel like that could potentially turn off some customers, especially if they have to awkwardly hear about it every time they visit.

*shrug*

Last edited:

They mine the data from the receipts. Helps them shape sales, etc. Also, probably sell the data

Last edited by a moderator:
Target has to know how torturous selling the Redcard is for the majority of their employees right? I mean, if they're gonna force everyone to sell the Redcard (and for most of us, it's very awkward I assume) might as well put up a big screen and blast the benefits over the speakers.

kAtLJDS.jpg

"Hello! Are you saving 5% on your purchase today?"
"Did you know that we offer a credit card AND a debit card?"
"Don't you want to save 5% off all your future purchases at Target?"
"You also get free shipping at Target.com and 30 extra days for returns!"
"Best of all, it's totally free! There are no fees!"
"All we need is your drivers license and about 3 minutes to sign you up for our credit card or if you have a check from the bank account that you want to use then we can sign you up for our debit card!"
"Thank you for shopping with us. We hope you visit us again soon. *robotic smile*"

(btw, thanks @Jill of All Trades)

Last edited:
It is a true PITA to sell the cards and I do pick and choose who I ask, depending on their cart size. I sometimes get pissy when people will $300+ carts don't want to apply because of their precious AMEX/Discover cards. Even after I tell them that I'd take the %age off if they're approved and they can still use their beloved card. lol

I did get 3 applications yesterday though. :)

So I just finished the orientation and I wanted to let you guys know that they made all the new hires sign up for red cards. Well, they didn't FORCE it, it wasn't like an official part of the process (I don't think), but they really pushed everyone to do it and nearly everyone at least put in an application.

So I just finished the orientation and I wanted to let you guys know that they made all the new hires sign up for red cards. Well, they didn't FORCE it, it wasn't like an official part of the process (I don't think), but they really pushed everyone to do it and nearly everyone at least put in an application.
It is not requirement, just say no.

Back