I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

They can coach for it, do CAs for it if they're so inclined, term for it...whatever. At some point, they won't be able to adequately staff the front end because corporate expectations don't match the compensation offered. Or, public backlash forces Target to rethink its pressure tactics. Heck, that's how starting pay got bumped to $9/hr. Target wasn't doing right by its employees until the public demanded that it do so!

Uhh....sort of. Walmart bumped up its salary and Target realized if it wanted a chance to hire people they had probably better do the same.

They can coach for it, do CAs for it if they're so inclined, term for it...whatever. At some point, they won't be able to adequately staff the front end because corporate expectations don't match the compensation offered. Or, public backlash forces Target to rethink its pressure tactics. Heck, that's how starting pay got bumped to $9/hr. Target wasn't doing right by its employees until the public demanded that it do so!
Target would pay us in pennies if they could get away with it!

Two cashiers have recently developed severe anxiety disorders that they now need medication for, and another had a full blown break down on register a few weeks ago. It's getting to be too much.

Those of us on the sales floor don't have it MUCH better, but they are so condensed up there that it's overwhelming.
I nearly had one of those. I already have pretty bad anxiety and these red cards aren't making it any better. My SrTL was telling me I needed to be more confident and push them and do whatever I can do get them, etc etc and I eventually kind of blurted out "I CAN'T BE CONFIDENT JUST LIKE THAT. I'VE SEEN A THERAPIST FOR THESE ISSUES I HAVE WHEN I TELL YOU I'M TRYING MY BEST I LITERALLY AM TRYING MY BEST AND CANNOT BE MORE CONFIDENT." In hind sight I really probably shouldn't have said that to him but was taken back and was basically like "okay okay sorry" and backed off and let me push at my own pace. He hasn't really talked to me about it since just kind of a "ok do your thing you got this" and "you got 4 red cards last week great job!"

But yeah red cards are all hells sorts of bad for mental health.

4 Red cards in one week is great! Most cashiers in my store don't even get 2 in a week so 4 is impressive.

Uhh....sort of. Walmart bumped up its salary and Target realized if it wanted a chance to hire people they had probably better do the same.

Yeah, but it took them months to make and announce that decision. The announcement came pretty quickly AFTER the issue started receiving national media attention. I signed the online petition that hopefully helped pressure Target 'do the right thing'.

I am new to Target, in my first 10 days I got 0 red cards. My supervisors wouldn't stop hounding me, in my third week I finally got 5 red cards. Now they are not hounding me as much, this is week 4 for me. I hope I get some red cards. When I was hired I was asked in the interview if I was comfortable with offering red cards to the customers. I had no idea red cards were so important and that's all that seems to matter. We have a lot of customers who tell us when we start talking that they have a red card but they aren't using it today. I have the feeling they are saying that to shut us up lol.

This is why i stopped pushing red cards on my team. Do i get in trouble since im the Gstl? Yes but we still meet our goal every week now when as before we barely were getting half also i blame it all on the other "gstl" since she is a Srtl and technically over me and plus i just dont like her. Yes i know im heartless

4 Red cards in one week is great! Most cashiers in my store don't even get 2 in a week so 4 is impressive.
It's a double-edged sword unfortunately. On one hand "hell yeah I got red cards!" on the other they have me on some kind of pedestal like I've literally walked upstairs to clock in and they're like "hey you're here today, that means red cards!" or during those incentives they tell me I need to get an extra because I'm so good at it. My "ability" to get red cards is literally I get none or I get 4+ there is no in between so when I get none it's like "???? what happened why no red card plz get card" like damn guys no one wanted one from me that week go away.

The entire reason why I moved over to the service desk was so that I wouldn't have to keep asking for Red Cards. Honestly, it's the worst part of the job. Then, like an idiot, I moved up to a position that puts my head on the chopping block if we don't make goal. Figures.

But seriously, don't stress out about it too much. There have been a couple of times where I've gone a week or more without a red card. As long as you're asking every guest and making an effort, there's nothing that leadership can do and you have no reason to feel bad about not getting any. Sometimes it just happens.

It's a double-edged sword unfortunately. On one hand "hell yeah I got red cards!" on the other they have me on some kind of pedestal like I've literally walked upstairs to clock in and they're like "hey you're here today, that means red cards!" or during those incentives they tell me I need to get an extra because I'm so good at it. My "ability" to get red cards is literally I get none or I get 4+ there is no in between so when I get none it's like "???? what happened why no red card plz get card" like damn guys no one wanted one from me that week go away.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I would do ok with cards. Then I had a few weeks of 2-4 cards per shift cause we had gift cards as incentives. So there was a lot of pressure to keep that up, even though we haven't had incentives in months. I've already gone up to 2 weeks without getting any RCs, and I pretty much ask every guest. Many guests don't want to apply when the lines are long, and that has been a problem at my store since June/July. And without an incentive, I'm not going to badger a customer/guest.

So do the best you can, at some point they will hyper focus on someone else. As long as you get some, you'll be okay!

I know exactly what you're talking about. I would do ok with cards. Then I had a few weeks of 2-4 cards per shift cause we had gift cards as incentives. So there was a lot of pressure to keep that up, even though we haven't had incentives in months. I've already gone up to 2 weeks without getting any RCs, and I pretty much ask every guest. Many guests don't want to apply when the lines are long, and that has been a problem at my store since June/July. And without an incentive, I'm not going to badger a customer/guest.

So do the best you can, at some point they will hyper focus on someone else. As long as you get some, you'll be okay!
They focused on a new girl who was somehow able to get them out the ass, like 6-12 a week. Once 4 in a shift. She quit in under a month though so rip.

But yeah I basically just try and aim for 1 red card a week because at the very least it shows I'm trying (though everyone does seem to notice I ask but getting one makes it easier on me). An old GSA who quit actually once told me that I should go for flow team instead. I actually thought she didn't like me and just wanted me off the registers lol. Turns out she was trying to save me by getting me somewhere I would excel in and be much happier in.

The sad part is if you work in any retail they expect you to push some sort of credit card. I am not sure if they would " fire you" but most retail companies that have credit cards demand you to push their credit cards.

Somehow I managed to be the top performer selling red cards last week. I am fairly new to Spot. My supervisors are suddenly nice to me, my hours increased quite a bit and I am getting trained in other departments. It must be all about the darn red cards. Supervisors I have never met, found me on the floor and thanked me for doing so well selling red cards. Hopefully, I am selling a few tomorrow to keep the Spot Gods happy lol.

Our store has been ramping up our weekly goal for redcards pretty much every single week for about a month now. Over most of summer, our goal was 76. Every week since about mid September it's been going up by about 10 weekly in preparation for Q4. But the problem is that we're not getting anywhere near enough traffic to meet the expectations with any kind of certainty, we only just managed to meet last weeks goal by 1 redcard since we got 26 that night, which was a miracle.

Everyone is becoming more stressed out because of the increasing goals and it's taking a big hit on everyone's mental health and enthusiasm for work, which is in turn hurting our scores. God damnit Target.

If you ask and they say they don't want one do you drop it or keep pushing ?
It depends. If their total comes out pretty high or if I see them in the store often, I will chat to them about it some more. You have to be able to read the guest's disposition though and decide whether or not to push on. I've gotten a couple of REDcards that way. Total comes out to $300+ and I'll say "are you sure?" and then they say let's do it.

If Spot is really serious about RC, then the cashiers should be compensated. $20 for the first, $10 for the second, and $5 for each additional card.
Do it in reverse: $5 for the first card, $10 for the second, $15 for the third & $20 for each one after that. Give it to 'em on a giftcard & load each additional amt on the card.

Back