I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

They might try to performance out a cashier for poor conversion, but it'd have to be very poor conversion. I don't think it sounds like you have anything to worry about.

PS: Get service desk trained, it's soooo much easier to be green at the service desk. I got two redcards last week, good for a 6.25% conversion rate due to most of my transactions being at the service desk.

1. Written up, yes. Termed is up for discussion. I've seen it threatened on the coaching documents that the TLs leave on the computer, but it hasn't happened at my store. Others here will tell you it has happened at theirs.
2. At my store, if you have a certain amount of transactions (enough for a couple of shifts) you are coached if you have no REDcards in a week. Believe me, by a month or two there will have been many conversations to help you bring your conversion number up.
3. Yes. Everything we discuss on this board is different at each store and their management.

It really depends on your leadership, but if it helps, I've been with the company for almost four years, 2+ of which were spent as a cashier, and I haven't been fired yet for having an absolutely abysmal conversion score (though I do ask every guest, so they can't say I don't try).

Well, I guess my Target doesn't exactly write up or fire you then if you're asking and trying. Seems like it varies from store-to-store. The various answers I have gotten were that if I had a low conversion score, they'd be asking me like, "What happened, you were doing so well?" or something like that. Then I was also told that they can't fire/write you up for not opening up enough red cards. But like I said, I figure maybe my co-worker hasn't been trying hard enough or asking enough lately. Which, I think trying and asking is the main thing when it comes to the Red card portion of your job responsibilities, but at the same time, it is good to get RED cards.

One of our cashiers is an older lady and she's great and get's the most hours out of all of us because her conversion is so good. The only thing that bugs me is the way she approaches people about RedCards. She asks, and then if they say no she keeps on bugging them to the point where she just scans the pamphlet and signs them up without them agreeing to it. She get's about 5 RedCards a day maybe even more because of this. I personally dont think it's right, no one thinks its right, none of teh cashiers do, but because it makes us look good no one says anything about it.

Every so often, one of the GSTLs or GSAs ask if _____ is coming in because they have been doing a shitty job at getting RedCards and if she isn't, they sometimes just make room for her. I just.... I don't feel right about it because most of these people honestly dont want one or can't because they dont have a check or something. It's just wrong and I think it's immoral. What do you guys think?

My conversion is bad because I've had guest literally yell at me and tell me to "shut up." One was early in the morning too and it was such a confidence killer. I always try my best to ask though, dont get me wrong, but it's kind of like playing Russian roulette. You can either get a nice customer who politely declines or you can get a customer who gets so annoyed that they yell or just scoff at you.

My conversion is bad because I've had guest literally yell at me and tell me to "shut up." One was early in the morning too and it was such a confidence killer. I always try my best to ask though, dont get me wrong, but it's kind of like playing Russian roulette. You can either get a nice customer who politely declines or you can get a customer who gets so annoyed that they yell or just scoff at you.

Anyone who would yell over being asked about REDcards has issues that aren't related to their guest experience. I feel embarrassed for those people... and sad. As far as scoffing... so what? Let them. You are doing your job and deep down they know it. I would never outright scan one after someone told me no, but I will continue to talk about it after they say no. Don't let one (or even 30) guests kill your confidence in anything!

One of our cashiers is an older lady and she's great and get's the most hours out of all of us because her conversion is so good. The only thing that bugs me is the way she approaches people about RedCards. She asks, and then if they say no she keeps on bugging them to the point where she just scans the pamphlet and signs them up without them agreeing to it. She get's about 5 RedCards a day maybe even more because of this.
Wait, how is she even doing that without the guest's consent? She would have to have, at the very least, the guest's social security number and their ID for the credit version of the RC.

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted by someone else yet.

Apparently my store is gonna be one of the first to be rolling out a new Red Card tomorrow. It'll be like the reloadable Visa gift cards, and there's a one time $5 fee, but you reload it for free after that.

Thoughts?

It has been posted. Was a thread a few days ago regarding them. Our GSTL hasn't mentioned them yet, but I see them on redwire, and it shows a period of dates regarding them, which ends October 16th, so guessing that is when we get them and the period listed is the time to prepare for them.

One of our cashiers is an older lady and she's great and get's the most hours out of all of us because her conversion is so good. The only thing that bugs me is the way she approaches people about RedCards. She asks, and then if they say no she keeps on bugging them to the point where she just scans the pamphlet and signs them up without them agreeing to it. She get's about 5 RedCards a day maybe even more because of this.
Wait, how is she even doing that without the guest's consent? She would have to have, at the very least, the guest's social security number and their ID for the credit version of the RC.

what ends up happening is they always just through with it..... no one wants to argue with a little old lady.

i encountered her doing this to a guest one time and they kept saying "yo we dont have time sorry i dont want too." but she just kept telling them "oh put your pin in here, just sign up, lemme see your id." it was all awkward

Apparently my store is gonna be one of the first to be rolling out a new Red Card tomorrow. It'll be like the reloadable Visa gift cards, and there's a one time $5 fee, but you reload it for free after that.

Thoughts?

large.gif

One of our cashiers is an older lady and she's great and get's the most hours out of all of us because her conversion is so good. The only thing that bugs me is the way she approaches people about RedCards. She asks, and then if they say no she keeps on bugging them to the point where she just scans the pamphlet and signs them up without them agreeing to it. She get's about 5 RedCards a day maybe even more because of this. I personally dont think it's right, no one thinks its right, none of teh cashiers do, but because it makes us look good no one says anything about it.

Oh my god that is fishy as f*ck. Does management know? I feel like this is 100% not cool but who knows what management is thinking. There's a lady here who gets at least 3+ Red Cards a day but she's not sketch about it, just incredibly pushy/knowledgeable.

Sidebar...my mom worked in a place with a credit card, except all you needed was a license for it. One lady was getting 5+ a week (which was a LOT for her low customer department), always topping the charts, etc. One day she disappeared. Turns out she was telling CC/Debit payers she needed a liscense (not unbelieveable since the stuff was expensive), and then sneakily signing them up for the credit card. I wonder how long until your TM goes the same way...

Every so often, one of the GSTLs or GSAs ask if _____ is coming in because they have been doing a shitty job at getting RedCards and if she isn't, they sometimes just make room for her. I just.... I don't feel right about it because most of these people honestly dont want one or can't because they dont have a check or something. It's just wrong and I think it's immoral. What do you guys think?

If she pulled that on me, I would raise hell with the store manager and call guest relations. And I'm usually not one to be a confrontational customer.

If the guests are putting in their SSN number and information and potentially handing her a blank check, then they are agreeing to it. If they didn't want to, they would simply refuse, and she would have to void the app out if she already scanned it. It might be over the top pushy but it doesn't sound shady.

If the guests are putting in their SSN number and information and potentially handing her a blank check, then they are agreeing to it. If they didn't want to, they would simply refuse, and she would have to void the app out if she already scanned it. It might be over the top pushy but it doesn't sound shady.

Agreed... The customer has to provide a lot of the information, it can't just be forced upon them.

However, if the Cashier is coercing the Guest into providing their information to signup, or being over the top pushy, they should be put on immediate CCA.

I would always want Cashiers to do their best to get REDCards, but to be HONEST and use INTEGRITY in doing so.... We had one cashier who was extremely pushy and I always had to deal with the fallout from Guests who got upset with him. I made sure the Managers knew, and despite numerous talks nothing ever was done to him (presumably due to his high AAR).

Last edited by a moderator:
I try to make it a no brainer to get/have a Redcard. When I see an over flowing cart I say "please tell me you already have a Redcard!" if they say no I go into the speech and talk about the benefits as I ring up the stuff. I pretty much have an answer for every objection about it. but I don't harass them or hold their stuff hostage.

Thoughts?

Are you sure about that $5 fee?

We had a similar card roll out. AMEX, no fees of any sort involved.

Has anyone else started getting prompted during credit and debit transactions (including ones where the persons using a redcard)? I reported it but as far as I know I'm the only one it happened to. Before i was just getting prompts on cash and check transactions. And the denominations seem to be random ($20 prompt, $150 with no prompt, etc). Either way I got prompted 30-40 times in a 4 hour shift (compared to maybe 5-10 in an 8 hour shift). If this is widespread I think conversions gonna take a death drop.

I have been getting ridden VERY hard the last few days by our GSTL over not having enough REDcards the last few weeks. I have been asking and all of you that have worked the front end know that sometimes you just aren't lucky. A guest went up to him with a check ready to sign up. The other cashier was finishing up a transaction but I was completely free with no guest at my lane. I step out and go "I can take you over here on 8 if you'd like" and my GSTL goes "no this guest is getting a REDcard and we are going to let (insert name of cashier sign her up). All I could think after I got off was "you'd better not coach me for not getting REDcards tonight after THAT!"

Thoughts?

Are you sure about that $5 fee?

We had a similar card roll out. AMEX, no fees of any sort involved.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a way to make a profit off of the danged things.

Last edited:

Oh my gosh. I could never resort to that. After being told no I usually wait to see the total and if it would be over a 10 dollar savings I say "are you still sure you don't want to save X amount?" I will honor the 5% off even if they don't get approved right away. Management has no problem with it, and I know I have my integrity at the end of the day.

As of this morning, we've noticed that when you do returns and the rerun payment method is the REDcard debit, the guest no longer has to swipe their card when you hit K1 for recommended refund.

Unfortunately, there is no option for cash back, so people are pretty unhappy.

We aren't sure if this is a POS update or a system glitch, though.

Back