I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

@Ginger, my big thing is to vibe with the guest. Build up a rapport with them (especially if they have a large basket). I usually can con talk my way into getting a guest to sign up when they don't have a card. I run into a lot of guests who are just loyal to their cards. So, I explain to them that they can still use their card and (this is specific to the store I work in) get 10% just for applying and if it's approved, I will take the other 5% off and then they can use their card (almost always AMEX or Discover) to pay. I know folks like to earn their miles/rewards, and my GSTL has always said this is okay. Just as long as we get another application. We make our goal each week (105).

@Ginger, my big thing is to vibe with the guest. Build up a rapport with them (especially if they have a large basket). I usually can con talk my way into getting a guest to sign up when they don't have a card. I run into a lot of guests who are just loyal to their cards. So, I explain to them that they can still use their card and (this is specific to the store I work in) get 10% just for applying and if it's approved, I will take the other 5% off and then they can use their card (almost always AMEX or Discover) to pay. I know folks like to earn their miles/rewards, and my GSTL has always said this is okay. Just as long as we get another application. We make our goal each week (105).

This seems extremely shady. No way in hell would my store ever do this. We give the 5% discount manually if the guest isn't approved and that's about it. If they are approved they are charged right away on the redcard and get the 5% that way.

Stores that give extra benefits when a guest signs up just cause inflated goals for everyone else. Basically if corporate sees that some stores are able to make the outrageous goals they will just keep upping them and see how high they can go. All that really does is hurt the honest stores that struggle to make goals but will never give unauthorized discounts because that's just the right thing to do.

Hey, I just do as I'm told. We're an AA+ volume store, second largest in the state. So I guess maybe we get to do things like that.

I'm not saying it's your fault. Your STL and ETLs are the ones that are causing the problem. You have no other option but to do what they say.

We have started doing the consistent follow-up routine with all cashiers so that they know where they stand. We are also documenting everything and will soon put the ones that are terrible with guests, the vibe, and REDcards on CCAs.
Trash red cards are trash and I would not want to be in your store.

I've thought about this a lot. I'm going to list what I think does and doesn't work for getting red cards.

THE GOODISH:

• GAMES: Games are a good idea. My store will often give out raffle tickets that will be drawn for a prize. HOWEVER...it's often hard to keep track of everyone whom actually gets these RedCards, and who actually wins. I get RedCards all the time. At least one a day. But because I'm in Guest Service, I don't always get recognized for it. I don't even remember to tell my GSTL half the time, because it's such a normal occurrence now. And in all honesty, I just don't care about the incentives half the time.

• PRIZES: Sometimes they give away prizes at the end of the night. They used to give away Target Dog Plushies, or T-shirts, or a little goodie bag. Same problem though, with everyone working different shifts, it's hard to find a fair way to keep track of redcards. I somehow don't own a single Target shirt. Every time they have given them out, I always happen to miss out for whatever reason. Even though I regularly do well with RedCards.

• PERSONAL INCENTIVES: These are the more desperate tactics I feel. Basically it's just, "Get a red card, and I'll get you a Starbucks." I honestly hate this the most because I feel guilty, and it feels like a cheap bribe.

THE BADISH

• Filling out papers explaining why I didn't get a RedCard. This is a total waste of time. Any time I don't get a RedCard, and they make me write down why I didn't get one, I write the same thing every time, which is, "No one wanted one." I don't see the purpose of this at all other than being some stupid attempt to intimidate people into doing better. If you want a REAL answer to the question "Why didn't you get a redcard?" Then create a survey and give it to your TMs and ask for their opinions. You'll get a real answer that way.

• Reporting to an LOD. Same thing, this is a total waste of time, and a shitty, insulting, intimidation tactic. I didn't get a redcard. And? What do you want me to say? I just didn't feel like forcing anyone to get one? Trying to understand the logic of these tactics really hurt the moral I think. They aren't productive, they're a waste of time, they focus on failure rather than success, thus, it makes my job feel pointless.

To Summarize...

Basically what will drive RedCard success, I think are 3 important factors. Consistency, Productivity, Unity. I think now that the goals are based on weekly numbers, and personal conversion scores are less important, then the mindset needs to become more focused on the group's success, rather than antagonizing everyone individually. Prizes and incentives are irrelevant if the GSTLs and LODs don't keep up on their bargains. Often times it's just way too busy to take time to go to the front and requisition some candy bar I didn't really want anyway, for a task I would have done regardless of whether or not I was being bribed.

And when it comes to disciplinary matters, one size does not fit all. Wasting time focusing on failures is completely unproductive, and especially wasted on those whom otherwise get RedCards. Being coached essentially, just because I didn't have a good day, when I otherwise do well, is the quickest way to zap all motivation out of me. Don't bother coaching anyone unless you actually notice them not asking or educating guests, or if you think they need help.

So what should you do? I don't know. Personally, I wish it ran off commission. If there was a full proof way to keep track of my yearly RedCard conversions, and then have that pay off when I get a raise during the yearly reviews, I'd be VERY motivated to push the RedCard. Even though I'm one of the top performers when it comes to getting RedCards, my only criticism during my yearly review was "Not educating the guests enough on RedCards." And I feel this effected my raise. That's crap. It's biased. Because I'm a more soft-spoken person, and because no one happens to SEE me educate guests, I get penalized for that, even though my numbers would reflect I actually do really well. It's unfair. I don't want free Starbucks. I want actual recognition. Not fleeting praises over the walkie.

I've probably gotten 3 or 4 red cards in my time at Target. I can't seem to get anymore. Because either A) They don't want it and get annoyed or B) They already have one.

Well our store has hit all all time low, we now have a sign in guest services, like one of the price signs that sit on end caps to advertise sale prices, with our weekly red card goal so now even the guests know what are red card goal for the week is, to them it is just a number but if a guest were to ask me what the number meant idk what I would tell them. Smh this is ridiculous, on top of that if we ain't doing well our STL is now starting to ask guests if they were asked buy the cashiers about the stupid f***ing RED CARD. My mind can't comprehend the stupidity that goes on. I feel like I have a big ass target (pun) on my back because I have hit a dry spell with red cards, do I care no but damn is it annoying all the crap we have to go through over something we can't control. :mad::mad:

I get them but sometimes I do not. It is simply not my fault I cannot get them all the time. I know some cashiers who get them all the time are doing it the dishonest way ( which I will not partake in) they use those promo gift cards if guests sign up and everyone meaning certain GSTLS know it's going on but they just look the other way. I know ETLS would have a fit if they knew....... They'll all get caught sooner or later and when they do i'll be laughing because sure I may not get redcards every now and then but at least I am not fired.

Our goal had been 37 and we were barely reaching that usually counting on like 10 mail ins every week. Now it got bumped to like 47 and yesterday we needed 22 and had 1 at 6 PM lol.

We now have to get yelled at by the LOD before we leave if we don't have at least one red card by the end of are shift, can they do this? It is getting to the point where it is borderline harassment, we have lost a lot of the front end this week, even the GSAs are tired of the crap our store is pulling. What do I do, I need this job :( Our team is great and I know the LODs are just doing what they are told but man this is something that is completely out of our control, you cant force people to sign up for these stupid things. I am asking everyone but the kids who come in and buy candy.

We now have to get yelled at by the LOD before we leave if we don't have at least one red card by the end of are shift, can they do this? It is getting to the point where it is borderline harassment, we have lost a lot of the front end this week, even the GSAs are tired of the crap our store is pulling. What do I do, I need this job :( Our team is great and I know the LODs are just doing what they are told but man this is something that is completely out of our control, you cant force people to sign up for these stupid things. I am asking everyone but the kids who come in and buy candy.
Sue the lod

LOL sue the LOD now that would be funny or start a petition or start a strike ( probably bad idea) I tell ya they are soo crazy with those red cards. Maybe just maybe if they did a tiny bit more like Kohl's did or Macy's you know people would sign up. People laugh at 5 percent and not many ( yep hear it myself) aren't comfortable giving out their banking info to people ( eeks parnoid much?) so that rules out those debit cards.

hi I just started cashiering today and I wasn't sure exactly how to sign a customer up for a red card. I know you have to scan some pamphlet but do you do that during or after their purchase?? Also I know you have to ask for a blank check when signing a customer up for a debit card and I was wondering why and what to do with it?

You scan the pamplet after you scan all the items. You ask for a blank check so they can get the target debit card . They need the blank check cause it is linked to their checking account.

i had my orientation on 7/17 and signed up for a red card same day
but i haven't received any mail about my red card

So I'm a gsa at my store and my store has been struggling to get red cards. My etl wants to start coaching tm that are not getting 3 red cards a week and maybe ony 3 or 4 cashiers get more then 4 a week. I told him let's try to ask the cashiers to change up how they ask if they are struggling. So the question is how do you ask guest to sign up for red cards?

So I'm a gsa at my store and my store has been struggling to get red cards. My etl wants to start coaching tm that are not getting 3 red cards a week and maybe ony 3 or 4 cashiers get more then 4 a week. I told him let's try to ask the cashiers to change up how they ask if they are struggling. So the question is how do you ask guest to sign up for red cards?

I had to merge you with the redcard thread because people start new redcard threads just about everyday and the forum would be littered with them.
If you read through here you will find some great suggestions for selling cards.

Also I know you can't stand up to the ETL but dammit they can't fire people for for not getting cards.
They can give people a hard time for not trying to sell people the card but not for not getting results.

Back