15 years and counting at Target

I have been with Target for close to 16 years and recently have been taking advantage of the educational benefit to finish my bachelor degree(Business). I also desire to get a MBA after completing my undergrad.

I haven’t been in any leadership positions though I am respected for my workmanship. My question is: If I want to stay with Target while seeking and after gaining my degrees, what is a good strategy to move up?

Thanks in advance!

Check for eligibility, not sure if they take already target employers.

However if your goal is to move up its time for you to speak with Etl and hr about next steps . You won’t be able to move up to Etl right away , however becoming a tl and then Etl is something you can do if target is really want to do .

It's best to start internship early around junior year. New grads have less options in internships.

I read a few times on Reddit though that TMs or TLs can't intern while working at Target.

I know in the past you could not be a current target employee to apply for internship but that was so long ago since I looked it may have changed. I know they also weren't really promoting from tm to etl without previous experience in leadership. If your plan Is to move up I'd look into TL asap.

Have a talk with HR about opportunities out of the store and/or corporate.

Be persistent and continue to look outside of Target.

That being said Target and other corporations may disregard your work experience and consider you a new hire with no experience and paying you as such.

PM if you want.

Good luck

Last edited:
the trick is to make it look like you're signing up to be corporate's newest and biggest hoe when in fact you're akshually signing up solely for the money, and once you land the job, always be introspecting on the reg to ensure that you're still really and truly only shilling for them ironically, deep down in your heart of hearts. Because the moment it becomes unironic, you are forever lost and your very soul is forfeit

C T T where 'ya been? Or as they say in some GPS coordinates "where 'ya been at"?

oh you know, I been out here, just hangin around “doing my thing” as it were…kinda like the moon or Mars, not always visible in your skies but definitely there looking down and having a giggle or two at y’alls mortal follies

Have a talk with HR about opportunities out of the store and/or corporate.

Be persistent and continue to look outside of Target.

That being said Target and other corporations may disregard your work experience and consider you a new hire with no experience and paying you as such.

PM if you want.

Good luck
You mean paying as little! HAHA!

I have been with Target for close to 16 years and recently have been taking advantage of the educational benefit to finish my bachelor degree(Business). I also desire to get a MBA after completing my undergrad.

I haven’t been in any leadership positions though I am respected for my workmanship. My question is: If I want to stay with Target while seeking and after gaining my degrees, what is a good strategy to move up?

Thanks in advance!
There’s gotta be a good reason for you to be at Target for that long. This day in age most people are gone within less than a year or depending on needs less than 5 years. It’s a bad company to work for and I don’t miss working for Target, Too much cult like behaviors and managers don’t care unless you suck up to them.

There’s gotta be a good reason for you to be at Target for that long. This day and age most people are gone within less than a year or depending on needs less than 5 years. It’s a bad company to work for and I don’t miss working for Target, Too much cult like behaviors and managers don’t care unless you suck up to them.
13 years here.

13 years here.
No offense intended because I don’t know your story obviously but if you been there that long, It’s gotta be cus of sucking up to management or you get some solid pay. Me and many other great employees who started out and tried to work their way up who didn’t suck up to management got treated like crap and it happened in many other stores and employees in my region also, Not just me. I’m just curious is how come you or others can stay there for so long when Target over the last decade has had a reputation of lying to employees and making it a cult like workplace. Again no offense intended, Just trying to understand.

I made it 16yrs before bouncing out. For me it was lack of competitive pay and job availability. I was working three jobs for the last 5yrs just to make ends meet until one of my jobs pulled hard to get me pay and keyed in full time employment. They at least appreciate my ethic and willingness to learn and grow. Sometimes spot is just a stone you get stuck sitting on for a while regardless of the lumps you gotta take to stay there. Bad companies are literally 90% or more the work force. Just gotta pick the battles of which you can stand and which will actually pay bills :/

No offense intended because I don’t know your story obviously but if you been there that long, It’s gotta be cus of sucking up to management or you get some solid pay. Me and many other great employees who started out and tried to work their way up who didn’t suck up to management got treated like crap and it happened in many other stores and employees in my region also, Not just me. I’m just curious is how come you or others can stay there for so long when Target over the last decade has had a reputation of lying to employees and making it a cult like workplace. Again no offense intended, Just trying to understand.
For me there isn’t much else in retail that pays the same or more than Target. The benefits is also a big plus. Leaders at my store seem to like me, very rare that I get a time off request denied. I have open availability but, get almost all opening shifts and most weekends off. I’m on drive up and I like it most days. 10 minute commute to work. Those are some of the reasons I stay.

For me there isn’t much else in retail that pays the same or more than Target. The benefits is also a big plus. Leaders at my store seem to like me, very rare that I get a time off request denied. I have open availability but, get almost all opening shifts and most weekends off. I’m on drive up and I like it most days. 10 minute commute to work. Those are some of the reasons I stay.
Sounds like you got lucky and had a store with tolerable and good management and even some decent coworkers. The store I worked at was one of the most drama like environments in the region and I knew others who worked at other stores whether it was old coworkers moved to other stores in the region or people I already knew and they had similar issues at others. There was one that wasn’t too far from my home that seemed like it wasn’t as bad but I didn’t end up working at that location. Benefits were alright but you really get the best of it if it’s full time or management. I worked hard and did better and more than most and I wouldn’t even get 30 plus hours often and management would treat me like shit because I never sucked up to them or was part of the cult there where people like to gossip and lie and stuff. I don’t miss being there.

Back