Archived An awkward situation: fire and rehire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new here. I currently have an extremely stressful full time job, but I have been considering reapplying to Target, despite the fact it'd be a significant cut in pay and hours. I know, weird. You know it's bad if Target is less stressful, lol.

Here's the thing, though: I previously worked instocks for Target back in 2011. I was hired in August around back-to-school time, but was terminated by October. My store was very clique-ish, and my TL was absurdly unhelpful in giving advice, and would sometimes just stare at me when I asked a question and then walk away looking disgusted instead of answering, even when I'd only been there a few days. The rest of my team also ignored me when I tried to join in their group conversations.

Actually, due to the comments of a couple guys in the backroom, I suspect my race might have been a factor in her not liking me ("Hey, [reference to my race] of the month" was how they began to greet me, but they also directly stated that my TL was not very welcoming of people of my race, and that people of my race were often hired for "diversity" and fired soon after), but as I would have no way of proving this, I never brought it up in my defense. I was also the only member of my team of my race, which I was fine with. I figured it would be stupid to make waves when the store itself was probably just a bad fit, and I knew I might want to try again someday. Also, I just really didn't want to believe she hated me for such a silly reason, I suppose. I'm not usually a "race card" person at all, and I feel bad every time I consider it, but in this situation it was hard to ignore the possibility. And yes, I'm being intentionally vague about my race because, like I said, I'm new here, and I don't want to accidentally spark any kind of racial argument. What color I am doesn't really matter, but I felt this factor should be mentioned.

The official reason for my termination was underperformance, but I always performed my job as I'd been trained; from what I witnessed, most others would scan a few missing items per aisle and move along, though the TL denied this and said I would be reprimanded if I did that. There were many, many item spots that would remain empty for weeks (especially in cosmetics) because nobody but me took the time to scan all the spots that were out of stock, which is what I was trained to do. I asked for help many times, including whether I was allowed to skip over some items. I was told I still had to scan everything, just more quickly. I was scanning things as fast as the PDA would let me, and I'm still really not sure what more I could have done without skipping spots. I've never had underperformance complaints in any other job.

So, I guess my question is, will they give me a chance at another Target? It's been over four years, and I don't fully understand how I messed up, if I did indeed mess up. I assume I must have, and they just decided I was so irredeemably stupid or something that it wasn't worth telling me what I ACTUALLY needed to do. Would they even still have the info that I used to work for them? If they ask, I don't want to lie, but it just feels like interview suicide to say, "Yeah, I worked for you before, and you fired me." I don't want to say anything bad about my old TL, whatever her issues with me were. At the same time, I never received effective feedback to really say I learned from my mistakes (of performing how I was trained, I guess?).

What should I do?

Last edited:
You might show up as non-rehirable, but I say explain the situation and go for it.
Explain everything, including the race thing? That's kind of a messy subject to bring into an interview, no? As for me messing up... I dunno, I'm generally exceptionally critical of myself, so I feel like I'd know if I was really doing something wrong.

What makes someone rehirable or non-rehirable? Are you never rehirable if fired, even for such a relatively innocuous reason?

I wouldn't bring up the race thing right away, but you can explain that you worked hard and you're willing to continue to work hard if you're given another chance. I think you have a better shot in this situation than if it were for something like theft.

Others may be able to give better advice than me though.

Last edited:
Just say that you were going through some home-life difficulties at that time that caused the under-performance, or you were struggling at school. That's understandable. I doubt they have like, a whole page of notes about you... so don't bring up something that would make them think you are not a good fit. Make it simple, familiar - the better. You start talking about race and stuff, and they might start thinking a lot of things about you. Not good things, unfortunately.

if you came in and told me that story,I would send you to Walmart ,you may not be marked as a non rehire,that is hit or miss,but if you introduce drama into the interview process no one in going to hire you.

Apply.
If they asked if you worked for Target before, say yes.
If they ask why you left, you can say that the team you were working under was a poor fit.
Unless it's theft, harassment, assault, ie: something extreme, I doubt they would have details on you after four years.
I would NOT bring up the racist comments or their treatment of you; that's a red flag to potential employers.
Sometimes less details are better.
The only problem will be is if you're still in the same town since some of those team members or leadership may have moved to other stores. If they remember you, it could be burn your chances of rehire.

IF you are sure you would even want to work at Spot again...then like several others have said reapply. The worse thing that can happen is they wont hire you. Be honest but don't give any more details than you have to.

Yeah, I'd rather not bring up the racial comments made toward me to them. Like I said, I didn't before because I know that could burn bridges, couldn't prove those things were said, and I wanted to try to stay rehirable. I just thought I should mention it here because it was heavily implied that could have been a factor, though I accept maybe I truly was underperforming (though, I wish they would have helped me correct things when I asked).

It actually was a very rough time for my home life, but even though Target was my second job, I always prioritized them and often came in for call offs when I was already working my other job that day and everything.

It's not the same store, or even the same city, but they are both somewhat in the same area (about 45 minutes apart). And yeah, it was nothing remotely "bad" like theft or violence or discount abuse or whatever. I liked my job and felt I had a good understanding of what to do, it was just my co-workers that made it rough. I'm pretty confident I'd mesh just fine at any store around where I am now. I think I'll reapply. Like you said, worst that can happen is a "no". Thanks for the advice.

Keep in mind most stores are gearing up to do layoffs right about now. So unless a store is super desperate, they likely won't be hiring for a while. And if they are, you really don't want to be at that store.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't even bring up the racial discrimination you probably faced.

The one factor that wouldn't even register into my mind when interviewing someone is their race. I would however, have a hard time hiring someone if (without history) they brought up racial discrimination (at the exact same store) during an interview. I know I would find it as a character attack on myself, and borderline threatening, especially if I had no idea about past history here.

If a white guy walked into the same interview with the same explanation, I would find it 10 times more threatening, however.

Last edited:
Right, I only mentioned it so you'd have context for how my firing didn't really make sense to me, and what might have prompted it. I'd really rather not mention it in an interview and just talk like I really did underperform and learned from it, even though I kind of didn't because nobody would help me.

I'm pretty sure Target is just one of those places where you're boned if your TL doesn't like you, and they can essentially find any reason to get rid of you. According to the backroom guys, this was common and expected at that store, which made me uncomfortable to hear and I still really don't want to believe it.

Anyway, is it better to say the team was a bad fit, or that I was indeed underperforming due to life/school stuff?

Based on the info provided, you were termed for underperformance, not a racist event. You had an chance to protest your termination & did nothing like talk to the etl-hr or stl in 2011.
Again, you need to apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back