Can I apply externally for Lead positions?

I've been acting as a Fulfillment Captain (now pacesetter) at my store for the better part of two years. Its to the point I get just as many hours as my lead because as he puts it, I run the department when he's not here. Without going into to much detail, I know the department inside and out and am trusted to keep things together whenever I clock in and meet metric goals/stay on top of employees so they meet their goals. I know the greenfield and mpm data, keep up with the addendum's when they get pushed, train the newhires, and status with upper management daily regarding our metric data. If assistance is needed, I know when to ask and usually from walking in I can tell if more bodies are needed to get the job done and by when they'll be needed. Now, I'm sheltered. As in I'm good enough at what I do that upper management is usually scared to move me elsewhere. They use me as a band-aid fix for flex when other employees slack instead of holding people accountable and I have no authority to actually do anything about that then a brief mention of what the metric goal is/give some advice towards achieving it if they are struggling.

Right now I'm a one trick pony. I'm flex's golden goose at my store. Lead positions are opening up in pretty much all departments but mine and I desperately want to work towards a lead position but I'm afraid I'm being passed up because of either my lack of external training outside of my department (not for lack of trying) or because promoting me means losing a powerhouse in a struggling department. Even when I pick up shifts outside my department I usually get moved back to flex. Now I was searching up job postings today and I see a few stores in our district, both of which I've assisted with in the past, have open Fulfillment Operation Lead postings. I don't see my current fulfillment lead going anywhere anytime soon and to be honest with my lack of GM experience, I'm not sure I'd even be considered for the position even if I do have the leadership experience. Can you apply for lead positions at other stores? If you do, who should you consult in your current store before doing so? I feel like I should talk to my current ETL about it but he's kinda the type of person to carrot dangle and I'm not sure a conversation with him would even be productive. I guess thats a band-aid I probably have to rip off though right?

TLDR: Can I apply for a lead position at another store if I qualify and what steps do I need to take at my current store if I do so?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

You can apply, but you should speak with your TL and ETL or SD first. Express your interest in promoting so they can help to prepare you for interviews. If they don't think you are ready, make sure to get concrete reasons why, and ask for an action plan to get you where you need to be. Go on Workday, and create or upload your resume and maybe create some goals with your TL that show you mean business. Good Luck.

Yes just apply. Might want to talk to your SD to get them on your team.

If you have the qualities of being a leader and are a quick learner, you can be a lead in any department. I know it’s really hard to step outside your comfort zone, and I know how it feels when you lead a team without being a leader. It gets a little tiring, kudos to having the patience for two years!

also - I was in a very similar situation to yours and I just got promoted so please feel free to reach out if you have questions or need advice

Back