Archived Cashier admits to stealing to pay for rent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's more life choices. Spend money on useless crap or put it in savings to try and build a better life for yourself and family. And sorry, but stealing is a hot button for me.

Last edited:
When I was barely scraping by and my mom asked me whst I wanted for x holiday I'd tell her money for bills/food/whatever.

Instead she'd buy me jewlery, shoes and expensive soaps. So it would look like I was spending money on stuff I didn't need. Before you ask selling it was not an option, she expected to see me wearing her gifts.

I think it's more life choices. Spend money on useless crap or put it in savings to try and build a better life for yourself and family.

After all, every on of us make perfect choices.
Seriously, I have stacks of music and books, I mean like to a point where there's a room you can't walk in because of them and I have two extra hard drives for music alone (but I still keep the CD's, tapes and I have a friend who stores my vinyl and does needle drops).
My library is everything from graphic novels to religious texts (including most of the Marvel and DC run from the 70's).

Is that the best way to spend money, probably not.
Would I be who I am if I hadn't done it, probably not.
Our choices, good and bad, make us.

One of the things that I learned on the road is not judge anyone who has traveled a hard road.
Hypocrisy will bring my scorn in the worse way.
Dumb mistakes, well I'm the wrong person to say anything there.

After all, every on of us make perfect choices.
Seriously, I have stacks of music and books, I mean like to a point where there's a room you can't walk in because of them and I have two extra hard drives for music alone (but I still keep the CD's, tapes and I have a friend who stores my vinyl and does needle drops).
My library is everything from graphic novels to religious texts (including most of the Marvel and DC run from the 70's).

Is that the best way to spend money, probably not.
Would I be who I am if I hadn't done it, probably not.
Our choices, good and bad, make us.

One of the things that I learned on the road is not judge anyone who has traveled a hard road.
Hypocrisy will bring my scorn in the worse way.
Dumb mistakes, well I'm the wrong person to say anything there.
Stealing $3k is not simply a dumb mistake. I get that she could of gotten the dermals as gifts and it was probably a stupid comment, but I have no respect whatsoever for someone who thinks stealing is the best option. I came from no money, zero, but I was raised that you work hard and earn every damn thing you get. All my bills for the month don't total $3k and I have a pretty nice place that I've worked damn hard to get, so maybe just maybe she was spending a little on her self. If you don't like my opinion fine but don't make excuses for someone who wants to take shortcuts and cut into everyone's bottom line.

Stealing $3k is not simply a dumb mistake. I get that she could of gotten the dermals as gifts and it was probably a stupid comment, but I have no respect whatsoever for someone who thinks stealing is the best option. I came from no money, zero, but I was raised that you work hard and earn every damn thing you get. All my bills for the month don't total $3k and I have a pretty nice place that I've worked damn hard to get, so maybe just maybe she was spending a little on her self. If you don't like my opinion fine but don't make excuses for someone who wants to take shortcuts and cut into everyone's bottom line.

I wasn't excusing her stealing.
My post was about ways people have spent money "poorly" when the future could suddenly go pear wise.
It was meant as an observation that you can do your best, work hard and maybe get some things you shouldn't then one day find out that wasn't maybe the best choice.

Stealing can be forgiven as well but that's on a different level.
I don't expect someone who just jumps to ripping people off as a solution to not have to pay for their mistakes.
They need to learn that there are consequences because somewhere along the line they never got that message.
People who do stuff like this need to be put to work paying back what they took.
Being put in a cage isn't the solution.
If she turns out the be a recidivist then come up with a new plan otherwise I hope they are wise.

I understand your frustration.
Worked hard all my life too.
I grew up on a place with no running water or electricity, have worked hard all my life cepting when work decided it was going to play hard to get, and I was raised that stealing even from the evil corporations was something only desperate and stupid people did.
The rule was as long as you had friends and family you would never be that desperate and my mom didn't raise no stupid kids.

Last edited:
I wasn't excusing her stealing.
My post was about ways people have spent money "poorly" when the future could suddenly go pear wise.
It was meant as an observation that you can do your best, work hard and maybe get some things you shouldn't then one day find out that wasn't maybe the best choice.

Stealing can be forgiven as well but that's on a different level.
I don't expect someone who just jumps to ripping people off as a solution to not have to pay for their mistakes.
They need to learn that there are consequences because somewhere along the line they never got that message.
People who do stuff like this need to be put to work paying back what they took.
Being put in a cage isn't the solution.
If she turns out the be a recidivist then come up with a new plan otherwise I hope they are wise.

I understand your frustration.
Worked hard all my life too.
I grew up on a place with no running water or electricity, have worked hard all my life cepting when work decided it was too going to play hard to get, and I was raised that stealing even from the evil corporations was something only desperate and stupid people did.
The rule was as long as you had friends and family you would never be that desperate and my mom didn't raise no stupid kids.

I agree completely that throwing someone in a cage is not the answer. Our prison system is broken, and there are too many people making a profit off of guilty verdicts. Not to mention it's basically a college for criminals, earning them knowledge and street credibility.

We seem to have grown up in similar situations.

It's funny, an extremely similar situation happened at the Walmart I used to work at. 3 (maybe 4) cashiers there. They would go through each others lanes, buying all sorts of clothes, dvds and giftcards, and they would pay 'cash' but no money ever hit the drawer. They thought that because they could turn down the brightness of the register monitor, that the 5000 security cameras couldn't see what they were doing. Loss prevention let them get away with it for a little over a month while they gathered enough evidence to bust them. Two of the cashiers got led around the store in handcuffs, and at least one other got arrested at home a few days later.

Depends on where you live and what the jewelry cost but that's about $100 for both.
Could have been a present or been done in better times.

The whole, look that guy has a tattoo that must have cost $300 dollars, why can't he pay the rent annoys the hell out of me.
People do realize that tattoo could have been done when the guy worked on the slope and was making good money, than the company went bankrupt and didn't bother to pay him the last three paychecks?

Sorry, hot button.
Getting tat's or piercings is something that shows for your whole life, yes true.. But many of the young girls I work with spend their money on getting them, and also smoking cigs. - Where I live they cost 13.00 a pack..And when I talk to many of the girls, they are struggling each month to make rent payments and have ebt cards to put food on the table for their kids..

If you ask me, priorities are a bit askew. I try to give them pointers on how to quit smoking, tell them that getting a tat or piercing should not be done when you have an extra dollar in your pocket, but when you have saved enough to be able to have a savings of at least 6 months rent available at all times. - ahh, but then the catch 22 comes into play. - if they have savings in the bank, the ebt card monthly amounts are decreased.. I also try to explain that if you keep saving, you may not need to be on any public assistance.. It is a hard comprehension to people who are so used to it.

Oh, I can go on for hours on this subject, but I will end now..I would love to be able to help these girls learn to be self sufficient..As I have learned, it is very hard to get people to change something they have known for so long, but still something I would like to be part of. I have found, trying to get others in govt, or private sectors to help me set up classes is very difficult, if not impossible. So I try one person at a time with the young ladies I work with. I am proud to say that I have helped one young lady to get her GED which has given her a step to getting a little better job then Target and enables her to spend more time with her family.
I blame the govt for not having mandatory classes to teach people how to make life priories when they are getting assistance. it's one of the many missing links in govt agencies.

Sorry for my rant...

When I was barely scraping by and my mom asked me whst I wanted for x holiday I'd tell her money for bills/food/whatever.

Instead she'd buy me jewlery, shoes and expensive soaps. So it would look like I was spending money on stuff I didn't need. Before you ask selling it was not an option, she expected to see me wearing her gifts.
@Signkitty, when I was in a bad place financially, my Mom would give me money to spend on myself, she said - I want you to have nice things you cant get yourself right now..I would go to the store, look around, come home pretty much empty handed so I could pay a bill, but I would always get something small for myself to make her happy.

@Signkitty, when I was in a bad place financially, my Mom would give me money to spend on myself, she said - I want you to have nice things you cant get yourself right now..I would go to the store, look around, come home pretty much empty handed so I could pay a bill, but I would always get something small for myself to make her happy.

My mom did not believe in giving cash, it is not a fun gift in her opinon.

Just stupid .if I see money or gift card on the floor I just keep walking nope you may fire me for no red cards or attandance but not stealing ..

I saw a $10 bill on the floor near the elevator exit I picked it and gave it to the GSTL, never once thinking hey free money.

As Commie said before, do not judge others who've traveled a hard road.

First, I want to say that this isn't a way to excuse bad behavior and stupid mistakes, rather just a little information about people who make good decisions and still end up with nothing.

Instead of looking at people making poor decisions, think about the fact that it could be you.

I live in an area that was particularly hard hit in the recent recession. The cities close to mine have hundreds of houses that are abandoned. The reasons for the people leaving the houses may have absolutely nothing to do with poor decisions.

Before the recession lots and lots of people were able to buy homes with help from the government....the banks made loans to people they shouldn't have. It ended-up that many people were either in foreclosure or the house loans were more than the homes were worth. (for a bit of a reminder, think of all the loans made by Fanny May....)

These are people who were making good decisions. They trusted the banks. However, many of them lost their homes.

If you ever have the opportunity to go to a homeless shelter or speak with a homeless individual you will find a good number of people who made good decisions, but ended-up in the shelters.

Around here, (in the recession) many people lost their jobs and were unable to find something else. So, no job....no money....no house.

Other people make good decisions, but end-up losing their homes due to medical bills. Getting sick isn't exactly a choice. An example here....someone needs surgery....they get it....they go home....something happens and they are back in the hospital.....then there are medical tests...oh, and maybe some more surgery.....and before you know it.....the bills are $30,000....well, how does this get paid?

As a cashier, when a guest comes to my line, I have no idea what has happened to them that day. So when I am with this guest I do my best to make sure that when they are finished with their transaction and leaving the store....maybe leaving with a smile for just a few moments.

Just as I have no idea about their day.....I can not make any judgement call. I just hope that the rest of their day is better.

Remember, getting into bad situations isn't always due to making a poor decision.
Think about the rape victim. What about the family who has their house robbed? Your mother is in the hospital because some other driver was on a cell phone? Poor decisions.....no. Sometimes it is circumstance.

And, for all of you preparing to celebrate the Easter Holiday......Jesus made good decisions and he helped many people. He was crucified. Thankfully the story doesn't end there.....it ends with the glory of Easter.

I can sympathize with people stealing food or baby formula to survive. Food is essential and it is not always available for free. Stealing food or getting arrested for killing an animal, they're both just as bad. But stealing money for food is wrong.

Either way stealing in general is wrong.

Big companies and other businesses steal wayyyyyyyyyy more legally than the petty theft a cashier might do.

And often they do it totally illegal but nobody actually pays what they are supposed to sometimes with the help of the governor of the state.
http://www.ibtimes.com/chris-christ...ase-after-oil-giant-gave-rga-big-cash-1830752

Or they were the governor and they got a sentence of 24 months when the sentencing guidelines for the crimes he committed would have netted any of the rest of us 12 years.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/former-virginia-governor-robert-mcdonnell-sentenced/

The rich and powerful are better than us.
It gets proved every day.

Sooooooo, You had to steal for 3 months to pay your rent and feed your kids?? Once would have been bad enough, but you did it more than once and had an accomplice to steal merchandise as well as money. Sorry for your had times, but it's time to pay the piper.

Just like the IRS using audits to go after Joe Blow blue collar because he won't be in a position to challenge findings or penalties; unlike a corp exec who's been hiding $$ in dummy accts but has a high-powered atty to tie things up in courts for years.

I remember over the holiday season one year I asked about one TM who I didn't see for awhile and another cashier told me "they were dipping their hand in the till and the police came one day and brought them out in handcuffs" I was shocked because I never thought this TM would steal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back