Archived Chip card update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, when are the card readers going to start allowing guests to use their chip cards as debits? All the chip cards besides the new redcards automatically run as credit. I've had people try to pay on their redcard with a chip card and it says "account number not allowed" or something along those lines.

It's coming. A store in our district got the update about a week ago, and I think we got it a day or two ago.

I guess this is an ASANTS situation. The system in my store has been updated for maybe about a month and a half now.

I am so tired of having to explain to guests why they can't pay off their red card with their debit card because of the chip, or how they can't get cash back. I really do feel bad about it, and the guests are usually upset about it. I'm amazed that this update isn't being globally pushed very hard. Some of our guests left so angry that I doubt that they'll be coming back, and we've gotten a couple of bad cashier surveys because of it.

Yeah, wait until you get it and people find out they have to use their PIN, that's a whole boatload of fun, there, too.
Apparently for some of the chip cards it's not even giving the option to "press enter for credit", and just prompts for a PIN right away. That's been really fun to explain to people that they have to do something that's not explained on the pin pad.

Apparently for some of the chip cards it's not even giving the option to "press enter for credit", and just prompts for a PIN right away. That's been really fun to explain to people that they have to do something that's not explained on the pin pad.
That happens with Mastercard Credit Cards. Mastercard is now requiring pins instead of signatures for there credit Cards. Since they are not Debit Cards they don't get that option. They need to contact tere card company to set up a pin which probably got mailed to them and they never opened it or it was on there bill and they missed it. either way there is no way to run there card without a pin

Yep had to deal with that too. I didn't even know it was happening until I got called over to a register for it, so I've just been telling people that they need to contact their bank to set up a pin. Nobody likes to hear that.

Our update was over a month ago as well. It automatically runs like debit (for all debit cards) and doesn't prompt to allow credit but if the guest selected "no cash back" and then pushes enter (the green O) it takes them to sign for credit if it is over $50 or completes the transaction if it is under. I think I have had one or two guests with cards (besides the redcard debit) that requires the pin and will not let them continue the transaction without the pin then enter.

Last edited:
Our update was over a month ago as well. It automatically runs like debit (for all debit cards) and doesn't prompt to allow credit but if the guest selected "no cash back" and then pushes enter (the green O) it takes them to sign for credit if it is over $50 or completes the transaction if it is under. I think I have had one or two guests with cards (besides the redcard debit) that requires the pin and will not let them continue the transaction without the pin then enter.
I've been seeing that happen mainly with BOA debit cards, which leads me to believe it's the bank that has it set up that way. Had a guest make me call a manager over because she didn't believe me when I told her that HER BANK wouldn't allow her to run her card like a credit card any longer. IDK WTF she expected the manager to do. I didn't appreciate her acting as if it was ME who did something to prevent her from running her card as a credit.

Then, the guest forgets their PIN number..

I've been seeing that happen mainly with BOA debit cards, which leads me to believe it's the bank that has it set up that way. Had a guest make me call a manager over because she didn't believe me when I told her that HER BANK wouldn't allow her to run her card like a credit card any longer. IDK WTF she expected the manager to do. I didn't appreciate her acting as if it was ME who did something to prevent her from running her card as a credit.
It is back controlled whether to allow a signature (less secure) or a pin (more secure). I've had several guests upset we allow signatures, but all our Redcard require a pin. We've been letting guests step out of line to use the cordless phone from gs to call Redcard or their bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back