Archived Conflict of Interest??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My STL hired a senior HRTL that he is VERY close with. He is best friends with her and her husband, her brother is married to his sister, they live in the same small town and go to the same church. No one is comfortable going to HR about issues with the STL because of how close they are. Now he talks about promoting her to ETL as soon as the opportunity comes up. She always receives special treatment and it doesn’t seem fair. Is this allowed based on target policy? Is it worth trying to talk to someone higher up or contacting the ethics hotline?

Based on my experience- not worth your time. If they aren't good at their job they won't last long outside your store. Trust me my store is full of favoritism and I have to remove myself to ensure I'm the best I can be.

How do you have so much information about someone you work with?
You know what church they go to?
You know their family structure?
You know about their personal lives?

I think they need to call the hotline on YOUR ass for not minding your business and being a nosey clown. This is called stalking!
It’s DISGUSTING!

I think they need to call the hotline on YOUR ass for not minding your business and being a nosey clown. This is called stalking!
It’s DISGUSTING!

The whole store knows because they don't keep it a secret. (They didn’t tell anyone when she first started but it eventually came out) and now they talk about it openly. During Christmas his sister/her sister in law worked at the store seasonally. And they have the same nieces/nephews which they talk about as well. Plus they discuss their church and religion openly. I don’t necessarily have a problem with her working at target but it seems unfair that she should get special treatment and be promoted when other people are more qualified/deserve it more. It seems like he’s already planning to promote her as soon as a position opens up.

It’s DISGUSTING!

You have never lived in a small town have you.

I have, but I am not one to start gossip/rumors and be envious of others.

I didn’t start any gossip or rumors and am not envious of anyone. Everything I stated is true and they are the ones that told people. My original complaint was that no one in the store is comfortable going to HR about issues with the STL (some complaints could be very serious). And also that getting an underserved promotion because of who you are related to/friends with/go to church with seems like a conflict of interest. @Humble TL go troll another post.

I didn’t start any gossip or rumors and am not envious of anyone. Everything I stated is true and they are the ones that told people. My original complaint was that no one in the store is comfortable going to HR about issues with the STL (some complaints could be very serious). And also that getting an underserved promotion because of who you are related to/friends with/go to church with seems like a conflict of interest. @Humble TL go troll another post.
So have a consensus at your store. You have taken a poll and determined that , not one person in the store is comfortable approaching HR. I am not trolling you, I want to understand where this hate and vitriol is coming from.

So have a consensus at your store. You have taken a poll and determined that , not one person in the store is comfortable approaching HR. I am not trolling you, I want to understand where this hate and vitriol is coming from.

I have no hate towards either person. I cannot definitively say that not one single person in the store is comfortable going to HR about the STL but enough people have complained that it is definitely an apparent issue in our store. It sets a bad precedent and leaves a lot of room for conflict. All I was asking in my original post is whether this is a breach of targets policy or not. Is this allowed or should it be reported?

I have no hate towards either person. I cannot definitively say that not one single person in the store is comfortable going to HR about the STL but enough people have complained that it is definitely an apparent issue in our store. It sets a bad precedent and leaves a lot of room for conflict. All I was asking in my original post is whether this is a breach of targets policy or not. Is this allowed or should it be reported?
Have events well documented & then go to ap or the hotline. Since you are not comfortable talking to your upper mgt.

Lets be serious, most complaints to HR are about hours being cut or people playing favorites, and HR is in on both of those schemes every time. Any actual serious ethical issues can be brought up to AP or another ETL, or the DTL or the hotline.

Notice I said serious.

Literally 95% of the time, it isn’t.

HR’s job is to protect target, not you. If you complain to your ETL HR about your STL, they’ll probably casually mention it while at Starbucks with them.

I'm gonna vouch for humble on this one. I think he's just trying to comprehend why you are self involved in a situation that doesn't concern you. Seriously take it from me just don't waste your time. However if your the gun blazing type then bring it up to your SD and be extremely transparent with the result.

Seems like having the STL’s sister working there would against policy, but at this point who knows. If the STL wants to run the store like the Little Shop of Nepotism and Favoritism he and his minions should at least have the sense to keep their mouths shut about it at work. The hotline is there to protect Spot, not you, but if you want to report this it would be a good idea to do it anonymously. The job you save might be your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back