Archived Discount Card/ Schedule help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started basically. I worked for about 3 days now, training. I wanted to know when I would recieve my discount card? Will it come in the mail or will I have to ask? Someone told me it comes with my first paycheck, is that true? Also, how can I pick up shifts in the future? Can I do it online? If so, can someone tell me exactly how to? Thanks!

Your first discount card will come with your first paycheck, yep. You have to go over by the time clock in your store and there's usually a swap-shift board. You can not pick up shifts online, you have to do in store by the time clock. For the swap shift board what you do is sign your name under "Yes I will work for you" There are directions by the swap shift board on how to swap shifts. If you don't want a shift you have to write your name and the shift's date, time, and department (example: cashier) The only thing you can do online is check your schedule (this will be after you're off the training schedule)

My first discount card came shortly after my first paycheck. I had direct deposit set up already and never received a paper check, so an ETL gave it to me in person. For picking up shifts, there should be a swap shift list near the time clock. Once you sign off on the shift, you're completely responsible for showing up. It might not be changed in the schedule for a couple of days, but if that happens, you can bring it up to a leader and have it changed ASAP.

and if you put a shift on the swap shift board and no one takes it you still have to show up for that shift!

You'll have to pick your discount card up with your first paycheck. If the check ends up mailed to you, you may have to ask HR or you can pick it up when you pick up your next paycheck or stub (if you don't mind waiting).
You can pick up shifts on the swap shift "board" (really just a couple sheets of paper people write in shifts they want to give up) and you need to make sure an ETL signs off on it so it can get entered into the system. This is important because if it doesn't get signed off on, you won't get substituted into the schedule and that TM may or may not get in trouble for not showing up and you'll have to be manually keyed in by a TL or ETL when you show up.

You can use your discount in the meantime by asking the cashier to manually input your employee number which is on that little paper card they gave you.

What jayray said; HR should issue you a temp TM discount card until your permanent one arrives with your paycheck.
Ditto with the swap board.
Get comfy with your training before you go all cray picking up shifts.
And they might not sign off on a shift if it's in an area you haven't trained in yet.

Has anyone closed in consumables before? Any idea what I'll be doing?

When you first get there you may have pulls to put out. If so they will be back in the receiving area. But you will spend most of the time zoning. This means you walk down every aisle and pull everything forward to the front of the shelf. Pick up any items that are out of place and put them away as you get to that aisle. If the out of place item goes in another area of the store you just collect them and take them all to the service desk to be sorted so the person closing that area can pick them up and put them away.

And don't forget to answer any call buttons and help guests as needed. Smile and greet each person asking if they need help finding anything. Oh - and respond to backup calls from the check lanes when the GSTL asks for help. People get mad if they have to wait in line longer than 1 minute.

You might not be in market even if you are scheduled under consumables. At my store people are often scheduled in consumables, but they don't actually plan to have them back there and they are just on the sales floor. I'd suggest you ask the LOD where you're supposed to be for your shift when you arrive.

If you are closing market you'll basically just zone and do the non-dry market pulls. The backroom TM at my store are always very helpful to people who randomly have market shifts and will show people the pulls. If the pulls are small; do not combine them. For example, if there is only one box of strawberries don't put them on the meat pull. You can only have the market pulls on the floor for twenty minutes, although a few minutes over won't be the end of the world. So if the a pull happens to be massive for some reason you might want to ask an LOD if someone can help you for fifteen minutes so you won't do over the time limit. I'd also check the bananas at some point in the evening because those can sometimes go quickly and you might have to refill them. If you do just ask the backroom for help. If you find a non-dry market item that is out of place (for example a frozen TV dinner by the yogurt) do not put it back because you don't know how long its been out of the freezer. Even if it still feel really cold; I'd still suggest getting rid of it. You'll need to qmos it. At my store the market people are supposed to stay their area for the most part. We get the market calls and call buttons (and the paper calls which is right next to market), but we aren't supposed to walk across the store to get a call. However if the sales floor people are busy then you should definitely help them out. Also (at least at my store) market doesn't backup cashier. The rest of the sales floor goes first and we only go if they specifically ask for us. Finally, make sure to announce when you are going on your breaks so other people can listen for market calls and call buttons.

Also, you'll want to FIFO the food. So the non-dry market items on the pull will be put behind the ones current on the shelves so the ones with expiration dates coming up sooner will be in front and thus purchased before the other ones.

What jayray said; HR should issue you a temp TM discount card until your permanent one arrives with your paycheck.
Ditto with the swap board.
Get comfy with your training before you go all cray picking up shifts.
And they might not sign off on a shift if it's in an area you haven't trained in yet.
Hell at my store you can't pick up shifts if you're under your 90 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back