Archived Fired for nothing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In contrary to most I loved being a cashier it was a time when I could just talk to people and enjoy myself. I had double the surveys at 100% of anyone else. I got almost one comment card a day (positive). I would even do some GSTL duties when they where busy. I was the first person to be training because I was good as my GSTL's told me. I sold redcards (very slightly below 100 per sale mark) and was in the green for speed.

On my birthday I got fired and I have no clue why all HR tells me is (slow performance). Just about every cashier was shocked and pissed. Does anyone know why this happens? Am I the only one this has happened to? Also I was there for 87 days when I was fired.

Well they may have hired too many cashiers or just not enough hours. They probably only hired you for the summer and BTS period. They most likely did want to keep you but just didn't have enough payroll or any open permanent cashier spots. Sorry =(.

Overstaffed would be the only reason I can think of if you were doing great work? They can fire YOU for whatever reasons (since you're under 90 days), but firing someone who has passed their 90 day period is much harder (apparently). Sorry this happened to you.

Well they may have hired too many cashiers or just not enough hours. They probably only hired you for the summer and BTS period. They most likely did want to keep you but just didn't have enough payroll or any open permanent cashier spots. Sorry =(.
Yes they hired a bunch more and got self checkout but being one of the biggest redcard scorers it does not seem logical.

It does make sense if you were a seasonal hire. They may have had really bad sells during BTS so they might not keep any cashiers that were hired during the summer. Honestly you may have been the best cashier with red cards but they aren't going to fire one of there permanent cashiers to keep you even if they aren't as good as you. It all comes down to sales when you are a seasonal employee. If the store does bad then they can't keep everyone they hired.

Apply again in about six weeks when they are looking for seasonal hires again.

If they fire you at day 87 they should have probably had some documented talks with you about your performance before then. In my district if we don't do that we are stuck with someone at that point. It is also possible that you were seasonal. But if you were they should have told you when your last day would be. At least that would be the right thing to do...

Huh, I heard a GSA talking about a cashier who just got fired during probation (she mentioned it was for something stupid about coupons) and today is his birthday

They've been firing people left and right at my store recently. So far, it's been people whom "deserved" it. I bet they're just cutting back on costs right now. Stupid, because they always over hire seasonal help.

Yeah, I'm guessing there's a lot more to this.

Probably. Based on the OP's view of his or herself, it wouldn't surprise me if they were overlooking areas they DIDN'T do well. They just let go a girl at my store, whom did okay. She got lots of red cards, and knew the policies well and what not. However, she was constantly making mistakes in GS. It was excessive enough that even with her gone (it's only been a few days), I'm still finding items on the sales floor that had been processed as a charge back.

There just has to be more to this story. I've had cashiers who, from guest perspective and their own perspective, would be top performers, but from a leadership point of view were nothing of the sort. I'm not saying you are one of those, but in Target, perception is everything, and if your leaders perceived you differently than you perceive yourself... There's another side to this story that you either don't know or aren't telling us.

I've had some under-90 day team members get termed because their ETL got them mixed up with other people...so during the performance evaluation meeting with HR, that person gets put on the axed list.

And sadly, it's all legal and legit. Under 90 days you can term for any reason. Even a stupid reason.

Same situation, here. We have so many cashiers call in daily that the store is desperate for anybody who'll work a few hours, much less a full shift. Every I turn around, there are new folks on the registers because we go through them so quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back