Archived Front end and carts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blc

just curious. Do any of y'all have an issue with the flow team taking all the carts from the cart well on truck mornings? I'm a GSA and in my store the night before trucks we bring in carts for them. Then I come in the next morning and they've used all the extra ones plus at least half of my cart well. I'm curious as to how other stores do this process. (We are a ULV store and truck is done MON. WED. FRI. Mornings)

Yeah they use them for breakouts for all the repacks coming off the truck. Luckily our flow gets done a little after eight so the front end gets a lot of their carts back. Buy once in a while it takes sometime.

ULV M/W/F checking in as well. Can't say that we typically allocate a set of carts for them, but taking from our cart well is a guarantee, and usually we do just fine by pestering the LOD about getting them brought up, as a lack of carts can translate to a loss in sales. Our flow team takes a while though.... I honestly don't know enough about the early morning process to give numbers but I would guess they're going until about 11 am.

just curious. Do any of y'all have an issue with the flow team taking all the carts from the cart well on truck mornings? I'm a GSA and in my store the night before trucks we bring in carts for them. Then I come in the next morning and they've used all the extra ones plus at least half of my cart well. I'm curious as to how other stores do this process. (We are a ULV store and truck is done MON. WED. FRI. Mornings)
Our team does this as well, but I've never experienced them not get back up in time. We have a 3-7 unload time.

I do the repacks for break-out for all of Hardlines. Every morning I have to get 52 carts. 10 of those are for use in C & D for flow to use to work 0ff pallets. Carts are usually brought back up after use.

Yep...that would happen all the time. Usually the LOD would get the hint when I had to call for a cart run at 9:30am. My favorite would be when someone would get on the walkie and say, "oh, there's a bunch back here you can have." Right...you can expend the effort to take them all, but can't be arsed to bring them back. Gee, thanks.

Yep...that would happen all the time. Usually the LOD would get the hint when I had to call for a cart run at 9:30am. My favorite would be when someone would get on the walkie and say, "oh, there's a bunch back here you can have." Right...you can expend the effort to take them all, but can't be arsed to bring them back. Gee, thanks.
Look at it from their perspective though... They clock in and grab carts that are on the way to where they're going. They're pushing a lot of product and it's not time efficient for one of them to break away from pushing, leave product on the floor, and take a whole stack of carts to the front 7 at a time. I'm sure by the time the store is open, there's a decent amount of carts that have made it to the front as flow has finished in certain areas and it's not the end of the world for the cart well to be at half capacity when there's one person coming through the door every 5 mins.

Look at it from their perspective though... They clock in and grab carts that are on the way to where they're going. They're pushing a lot of product and it's not time efficient for one of them to break away from pushing, leave product on the floor, and take a whole stack of carts to the front 7 at a time. I'm sure by the time the store is open, there's a decent amount of carts that have made it to the front as flow has finished in certain areas and it's not the end of the world for the cart well to be at half capacity when there's one person coming through the door every 5 mins.
When I was out of carts at 9:30am at a ulv store, that was a problem. So I'm sorry if it isn't time efficient for them to bring them back, but when they took 3/4 of the carts, it ended up being a problem. Try being a 7:30am store and find out exactly how that works.

When I was out of carts at 9:30am at a ulv store, that was a problem. So I'm sorry if it isn't time efficient for them to bring them back, but when they took 3/4 of the carts, it ended up being a problem. Try being a 7:30am store and find out exactly how that works.
Alright, so they don't use carts and push directly from repacks. Product in each repack is from 10 different aisles and they're there until close. Your store has no hours for backroom or sales floor because flow takes all day. On the positive though, you guys have carts at the front. I'm sorry that I may be sounding like an asshole, but why not go outside for 10 mins and fill carts?

Alright, so they don't use carts and push directly from repacks. Product in each repack is from 10 different aisles and they're there until close. Your store has no hours for backroom or sales floor because flow takes all day. On the positive though, you guys have carts at the front. I'm sorry that I may be sounding like an asshole, but why not go outside for 10 mins and fill carts?
Because it was hugely inefficient to go out and chase after 10 carts in the lot. And trying to find someone who was available to do it at that time of the morning was nearly impossible.

Why when they are left parked in the back of the store.. I am in an overnight store and find stacks of them left all over the store cause they didn't have time to bring them up? But I do? Nope sorry, you take you return..

Why when they are left parked in the back of the store.. I am in an overnight store and find stacks of them left all over the store cause they didn't have time to bring them up? But I do? Nope sorry, you take you return..
I think that's entirely different. This was about them using them, not leaving them behind.

I'd guesstimate our flow team uses 50-ish carts, depending on how heavy the repacks are and whether or not they break out domestics.

Still, we have a million carts and never run out except for Saturday's. And that's more of a cart attendant problem than a flow problem.

Our cartwell holds six rows of carts, and our flow team uses less than one row for breakouts. So even with an early morning flow process and no cart attendant until maybe 12:00, we still have more than enough carts for morning shoppers. In addition, we have a shit ton of reserve carts outside that rarely get used outside of Q4 and BTS/BTC.

Never had a problem with flow using our carts, as they take from both cartwells proportionally (making sure to siphon from blue adequately before green) and see that they are returned in a reasonable amount of time, with the exception of around 10 carts that the cart attendant has to get.

Maybe y'all need more carts?

Do any of y'all have an issue with the flow team taking all the carts from the cart well on truck mornings?

About 6 months ago my store stopped doing that.

Maybe y'all need more carts?

I realize @Retail Girl's former store is ULV and all, but do they really have so few carts that flow breakouts and normal ULV guest traffic use up all of them?

Maybe I'm used to the idea of my much higher volume store having more carts than we know what to do with.

I realize @Retail Girl's former store is ULV and all, but do they really have so few carts that flow breakouts and normal ULV guest traffic use up all of them?

Maybe I'm used to the idea of my much higher volume store having more carts than we know what to do with.
It took two stores closing in our district so our PMT could claim to before this wasn't a problem for us...especially in fourth quarter.

Could be worse, my target is 2 floors and the flow team always takes half the carts from the lower level entrance and leaves them upstairs.
When the cart attendants come in at 9:30 there's a decent amount, but when they cut our hours and make us come in at noon, there's usually about only 10 carts.
Fun times all around.

My issue with them taking our carts is that the night before we bring in 60+ carts for them to use so that they don't take them out of the cart well. So when I do extra work for them then come in the next morning and have to go outside and fill the cart well at 8am I'm not a happy camper. They either need to use less carts or go outside and get their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back