Archived Getting asked to stay longer than scheduled every shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm still in my 90 days until the end of September. Every shift I've had my TL has asked me to take a lunch or asked me to come in on days off, or to stay extra hours. This week I finally had to tell him that I can't stay because I have things outside of work that I have to do (which is true, i'm sharing a car with my mom and she has to be at work at 9, and I get off at 8:45 usually.

I'm starting to freak a little because I just got offered another job at a non profit organization and I start monday, and will be doing a 3 day training period (paid too!) However I told my TL that next week I'd have more availability and would be able to stay if he needs me to get him off my back (before I had even applied for this job, and I wasn't expecting them to even call for an interview the same day I applied.)

Now I'm freaking out because I'm going to have to once again say I don't have the availability and that they have me scheduled for quite literally every day except for one so I don't work the full seven. Can they end up firing me for this because I keep saying I can't? It's not my fault we get way too many trucks and push out too many pullouts that are impossible to get on the shelves by the time 8 am opening arrives. I COULD stay overtime, but I still have to drive my mom to work which takes up my whole lunch, and then drive back but be off by 12 and go straight to my new job which is at 1:30-10pm. It's wearing me thin. And now half the people I was hired with are leaving this month but I plan on staying on. I'm just wondering if my continuing to say that I can't stay will make them fire me when my 90 days are over. Is this grounds for being let go? Or would they just end up blaming it on something else.

Has anyone worked with someone who never stayed extra time (or rarely did) but still stayed on after their probation period?

They can't fire you for refusing to stay past your end time because they can't seem to schedule properly.
You've been accommodating to a point & they've taken advantage of it.
They might decide not to keep you on past your 90 but they would be losing a dependable TM as others are leaving.
That said, ASANTS & your leadership may decide to cut their nose off to spite their face.

We had a guy in Electronics call out every day during Black Friday weekend (Thursday - Sunday). He was never fired, actually he quit back in May without putting in his two week notice. You should be fine, I bet your team leader forgot you even said you could stay later next week. Just be confident and say no, no explanation required.

They can't fire you for refusing to stay past your end time because they can't seem to schedule properly.
You've been accommodating to a point & they've taken advantage of it.
They might decide not to keep you on past your 90 but they would be losing a dependable TM as others are leaving.
That said, ASANTS & your leadership may decide to cut their nose off to spite their face.

Comforting. All I can do is just not worry about it, I'm starting to care less and less.

Show up, work, leave. Do what you can. You are allowed to have a a life outside of Target. As everyone shared, you might be fired only for being under your 90 days, but "lack of work" would NOT be the cause. Stand firm at times and DO refuse when you feel uncomfortable about any situation at the workplace.

With a new TM, the longer the probation progresses, the more difficult it becomes to term them. It is easier to do it at 30-days, than 60-days, and easier to do at 60-days than 90-days. Unless you have multiple corrective actions during your 90-day probationary period, they won't term you. (This, of course, doesn't include incidents that you can be immediately termed for, such as stealing or violent behavior.) You don't have to stay past your posted scheduled time. You have been doing them a favor by doing so. And, the fact that they are asking you may mean that they like the quality of work you are doing. The only thing I would think about is the availability you said you had when hired, and the availability you will have if you intend to keep both your positions at Target and the non-profit. If there is going to be a conflict I would talk to your ETL-HR immediately to adjust your availability at Target so it doesn't interfere with you job at the non-profit.

Beware, Target will try to exploit you by asking you to stay beyond your scheduled hours. Same goes for coming in on your days off.

You are absolutely allowed to leave at your acheduled time. Your TL might get annoyed but they can't force you.

I've had ETL's attempt to guilt me into staying like "wow you must hate this place" or "cmon we really need you to stay" and I politely decline. They can't stop you at all.

Just show up every day you are scheduled and work hard. You'll be doing better than many other new hires and should have no problem being kept on after your 90 days.

Show up on time, don't steal and treat your supervisor with respect. Pretty much all you need.

Reactions: Him
How is that even close to exploitation, you have a right to stay no or you can pick up extra money, your choice.
I've been to stores that act like hours is a reward and punishment, OT is a reward! It's work guys stop trying to play games with your employees and treat them like adults. Makes a rough environment very them vs us crud.

You're only obligated to stay to what you're scheduled if you don't extend that's not your fault it's theirs.
Leadership tend to favor those who are accommodating so if you want to pick up more hours later it's good to be that guy but if you don't need those hours it's fine.

Being accommodating and well liked helps you if you want other things out of target, but if you just need a part time job, showing up and doing your job is good enough in most cases.

Your store sounds like the kind of place where people are needed more. If you show up on time every shift and stay for those shifts and do average amount of work they'll keep you. The fact you've been asked to stay so much probably means you do at least slightly better than avg work or they are really behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back