Archived Getting called in

Status
Not open for further replies.
So recently more then ever HR has called me and asked for me to work. Now I don't answer inlet it go to voicemail and I never call them back. Is there anything that will happen if you do t respond to them if they call? Do you get in some sort of trouble?? I know this is stupid it I gotta know.....

They will stop calling eventually, and if it comes to a point where you need extra hours and they are calling people, HR won't call you because you never answer, making it much harder for you to get extra work when you need it.

And really, it's not that difficult to take a few minutes and say "I'm sorry but I can't make it it today." If you are busy you can let it go to voicemail and call them back when you can, and say "sorry I missed the call, do you still want me to come in (if available) and I can't come in today (if unavailable). It's much more professional than never calling them back.

Nope, you could just claim you didn't hear your phone. Or you could pick up and tell them no. It depends on whether you want a lot of hours or not. Personally I think that if they want you to work they should schedule you, and if they know they will get a lot of callouts then they should prepare for that by overscheduling. Getting called in shouldn't be a common thing, it should be reserved for emergencies where they have a lot of TMs not showing up for work for whatever reason and they really need people to show up.

Nope, you could just claim you didn't hear your phone. Or you could pick up and tell them no. It depends on whether you want a lot of hours or not. Personally I think that if they want you to work they should schedule you, and if they know they will get a lot of callouts then they should prepare for that by overscheduling. Getting called in shouldn't be a common thing, it should be reserved for emergencies where they have a lot of TMs not showing up for work for whatever reason and they really need people to show up.

There's only a few days a year we can predict call-outs (certain holidays and super bowl). It's not like we have a crystal ball that tells us "Three weeks from now, on Thursday, 10 TMs are going to call out." I've tried overscheduling before and more often than not I end up having too many TMs. I know, too many TMs shouldn't be a complaint, but I don't need an entire flow team at the start of the unload. Or I'll be really heavy on Tuesday and have nothing Friday.

Target is a complicated B**ch. You would think that if a TM calls out you could just give them less and less hours. And for TMs that show up all the time, they should get all of the hours. Reliable = more hours. However, HR would get F'd by their boss for not being fair and consistent with hours. And no matter what, giving repeat call-outs no hours is unfair. They don't want TMs being "punished". Instead they want TMs to go through the coaching process.

It's also complicated to fire a TM. The coaching process is lengthy unless you do something major. Most of the time, investing time into performancing a TM out is not worth the battle. That's when TLs and ETLs start creating a fake paper trail and get the TM fired quickly. Some get away with it and others get caught - a lot of people get away with it. Some TMs just need a swift kick out the door.

TMs only get a little taste of the bullshit thrown at the stores. Imagine the VP throwing 30 tons of shit at DTLs. STLs only get the shit that splatters past the DTL. ETLs only get the shit that splatters past the STLs. TLs only get the shit that splatters past the ETLs. And TMs get the rest. It may seem like a lot of shit at the TM level but it's nothing compared to the shit above them.

When you're given 1700 hours a month between January-March, there's no room for overscheduling. Miss payroll and the STL has to kiss the DTLs butthole until that shit is paid back. The DTL has to kiss the VPs butthole to ensure it doesn't happen again, and so on. If hours were plentiful and the higher-ups didn't put pressure on the stores to stay within the budgeted payroll, overscheduling would be common.

Last thing, which may only apply to the flow team/BR:

I've learned from several successful Logs that there needs to be a balance between too many hours and not enough hours to get the best results for attendance. Give TMs too many hours and they won't show up Friday-Sunday (this is a fact and I have seen this play out every time). Give TMs not enough hours and they'll lose loyalty, be disgruntled, and won't perform as well. Give them the perfect balance (not too much but just enough that they'll want more) and they'll show up to work. They'll even offer to come in an extra day or two.

Note: TMs call out the most on the weekend of payday. And show up the most the week without a payday.

You won't be punished for not answering and you shouldn't be expected to come in when asked. But.....the world isn't perfect and ETLs tend to react by taking it out on TMs. S0, if they call and always get a no or no answer, they'll stop asking. If they still do scheduling themselves (probably not because of myTime) then when there are extra hours you won't be on the list to get them. When I started I would call TMs if I needed extra help. Very rarely did someone pick up. So... eventually I started to just roll with it and never asked TMs to work extra shifts. If I had 10 TMs for a 2300+ truck I guess that's what I'll have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back