Archived Getting onto the Floor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I've been working at my Target for about 5 months now, and I've been a cashier for all 5 of them. To put it short, I can't stand being a cashier anymore. Standing in one place for 2 hours kills my knees, the beeping of the scanner is implanted in my brain, and I think my talents are ready to be used on the sales floor. Keep in mind I just turned 18, I think that should get me some credit towards cross training. But I would like to go to any job that is on the floor (Hardlines, Grocery, Service Desk, Cart Attendent, Presentation...etc) Can someone tell me how I get this to happen? Do I talk to the ETL HR or what? Help!

Talk to your GSTL, express your interest in the sales floor to a salesfloor TL or ETL, talk to your ETL-HR. It's also helpful to monitor the "hiring needs" board to see if they're looking to hire sales floor or electronics.
You may have to be persistent, ETLs/TLs have a lot of different things to do.

Volunteer to do other areas without being asked. Hey gstl, can I go & do some reshop or fold tables? It quiet at the lanes.

SF10 and HL both offer great advice. I'll just add that you also want to make sure you are being an excellent cashier if you want to move. That may seem a little counter intuitive, but if you aren't meeting your current core roles to the max it will make it more difficult for you to move as no one else wants a TM they aren't confident will be a strong performer so they need to see you being a strong performer where you are now.

Don't be too excellent....or they won't want to give you up...there's a fine line, and I think I landed on the wrong side. I may resort to begging to get to the salesfloor.

thats the same thing that happened to me, except it was for getting into backroom, just keep being persistent, eventually the day will come when they will put you there

I may have struck a deal with my ETL tonight...50/50 for guest service and salesfloor.

Good for you! If you want to move to the salesfloor permanently, make sure you standout (from what it sounds like in your posts you do that already so it shouldn't be hard for you) to the ETL-HL and HLTL's.

My main place is flow but all the tls esp the flow tls & gstls fight over (playfully) me every week to be put with them on the schedule lol but I put my input in with saying as long as u give me 40 or close to it and be fair and even it out shift/hour wise everywhere I won't reject

But also is it sad that a flow tm is outshing regular cashiers & also some electronics tms with red cards & attachments/ service plans I avg 6 to 8 red cards per every 5 hour shift & 3 to 5 service plans per 5 hour shift & attachments vary just curious on ppls opnion

My main place is flow but all the tls esp the flow tls & gstls fight over (playfully) me every week to be put with them on the schedule lol but I put my input in with saying as long as u give me 40 or close to it and be fair and even it out shift/hour wise everywhere I won't reject

But also is it sad that a flow tm is outshing regular cashiers & also some electronics tms with red cards & attachments/ service plans I avg 6 to 8 red cards per every 5 hour shift & 3 to 5 service plans per 5 hour shift & attachments vary just curious on ppls opnion

You need to be in electronics. I would take you in a heartbeat.

You need to be in electronics. I would take you in a heartbeat.

I been trying to get myself switched over for a while since electronics is understaffed with people but so is the flow team of which is my main work center so that's why they came up with the lovely schedule of mine lol to where I'm a lil bit of everything

Good hours!
to a point they can be lol I usually endup with 2 doubles a week like this sat I'm 4am starting as flow but end at 5pm as sales floor then Sunday I'm 8am sales floor til 1 then 5 to close sales floor and I'm still expected to stay under 40hrs lol & also I noticed I'm gettin a lil bit extra hours then my main tl tho she gets me by pay rate lol

Wow 3-5 service plans per shift?! That's awesome!! I've been setting personal goals for kyself to improve my service plan success, any tips on what works for u would be very appreciated!! U rock!

Wow 3-5 service plans per shift?! That's awesome!! I've been setting personal goals for kyself to improve my service plan success, any tips on what works for u would be very appreciated!! U rock!

At our store we have a list of everything that we sold that can be on a service plan per each color & for the longest time they didn't push service plans up front til I was asking about them and was gettin them

I usually break down the total price with the service plan per each year (sounds better to most guests) also depending on the item I ask politely what n whom it be for and explain the benefits with the service plans works best when theirs kids involved lol

Redcards- I ask every guest everytime
1st I ask if they have one
2nd if they would like to have one & save 5%
3rd before finishing the transaction esp with big orders I tell them how much they would save

The best is when they answer with a answer not related to the question I ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back