Archived Hired as FA but would like to work Sales Floor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

Hello everyone, I recently got hired as a Target Cafe Member and my orientation is this Wednesday. I wanted to work sales floor from the beginning, but there were no openings until I got offered a food ave job. Now there are two sales floor openings and I am cursing my luck. Is there a possibility of me switching to sales floor if I talk to HR or will I have to suck it up? Also, if I cannot switch, can I cross train and work some sales floor hours in combination with food ave?

Gonna have to suck it up for probably at least 6 months and that is if you're lucky enough that they can find somebody else who wants FA. FA team members are tough to come by and they're not going to let you go if you'll leave a vacuum.

Do I have to wait 90 days to cross train? (I think I read this in another thread)

No, but they'll only cross train you where it makes sense. They won't cross train you in the backroom while your FA.

What you might want to do is express interest in going above in beyond in your core roll and learn some new tasks that could be applied to your original work center. Example, getting cross trained as a cart attendant or cashier. You could pick up a CA shift and then be able to backup FA when it gets busy. Or if it's particularly slow in FA and there is double coverage, you could break away and help out the CA or help ring up guests. Eventually you might be able to push to get salesfloor shifts under the same guise....you could be the only person on the salesfloor that could backup FA. Everybody else on the salesfloor can backup cashier, but you could ALSO backup FA. You might be able to push for it via that angle, especially if you have a particularly busy FA.

But you'll have to show you can excel in your current work center. If you're mediocre in FA, the thought process will be that you'll be mediocre on the salesfloor...and it wouldn't be worth it to put in the extra effort for a mediocre team member. Be enthusiastic, be great with guests, have a cheerful personality that would translate to a great salesfloor TM, and you might be able to make the transition.

Thanks for your responses, they are really helpful. I just had one last question about FA, are they usually solo shifts? I stopped by my Target the other day and there was only one person working FA, which was weird because they would disappear in the back for a few minutes and ring guests when they reappeared in the front. It does not seem to be optimal for excellent guest service.

Its not optimal but FA is not a money maker....just something target has slapped together and unfortunately right now hours are slim so you will probably be by yourself a majority of the time and even when your TL is there with you they will have other tasks they will need to complete so pretty much you will always be on your own. FA kinda sucks till you get a good routine down. Once you have that you could almost come in and work with your eyes closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back