How do you keep your Birthday private from your Team?

So at my particular Target store, we have a calendar with a list of birthdays for the month for all to see. I absolutely hate my birthday for many personal reasons, I don't think birthdays are worthy of celebration. Whatever the case, I don't want my team to know my birthday. It comes up in May but is there a way I can let the company or HR know that I straight up DO NOT WANT MY BIRTHDAY TO BE SHARED on this breakroom calendar? Is this something that if I tell HR that they can document this and keep my birthday off the calendar for the rest of time? Or do I have to remind them every year to keep it off?

I feel Target sharing my birthday on this so-called calendar is a violation of my privacy. I don't want that information on there. What can I do to make sure my birthday is not shared with the team?

I'd ask HR if they can put a fake date on their birthday list. That should work with years forward.

Just go to HR and tell them to leave your name off the calendar. We did it for a team member at my store. Not bc he thinks anyone is violating his privacy but bc he is painfully shy and doesn't like attention of any kind.

I would talk to HR now to let them know how you feel and again in April as a reminder. I’d do it every year, since I doubt that something like that can be put into the system, people do forget things that happen only once a year, and communication at Spot can be, well, horrible. Good luck!

Just go to HR and tell them to leave your name off the calendar. We did it for a team member at my store. Not bc he thinks anyone is violating his privacy but bc he is painfully shy and doesn't like attention of any kind.
Thank you! Good to know you know someone who did that. Did he have to remind HR about it every year or when it was coming up every year...or once he told them about it, they put it in their notes to not put it on his team's calendar?

I guess I'm asking...once I tell HR that I do not want my birthday shared with anyone at my store, does that mean HR will 100% never put it on there (even by mistake if they forget)?

I would talk to HR now to let them know how you feel and again in April as a reminder. I’d do it every year, since I doubt that something like that can be put into the system, people do forget things that happen only once a year, and communication at Spot can be, well, horrible. Good luck!
Thank you!

I'd ask HR if they can put a fake date on their birthday list. That should work with years forward.
Interesting idea! I guess I would be semi-okay with that but I would still be the center of attention on that "fake birthday" if I were to work that day I made a faux birthday? I hate people singing to me and if any leader said "Hey ______, Happy Birthday!" that would make my stomach flip-flop all over!

I would recommend being honest (or sounding honest) and consistent when you talk to them. Your first statement was invasion of privacy. Your second statement anxious and uncomfortable with attention. Totally different. Pick a message and stick with it for best effect.

Thank you! Good to know you know someone who did that. Did he have to remind HR about it every year or when it was coming up every year...or once he told them about it, they put it in their notes to not put it on his team's calendar?

I guess I'm asking...once I tell HR that I do not want my birthday shared with anyone at my store, does that mean HR will 100% never put it on there (even by mistake if they forget)?

Nope. Once we told her about it his bday hasn't been put on that calendar again. This year was year #3.

Back