How many of you were fully (or at least extensively) trained?

Looking at the mountain of onboarding for TLs that I have had no opportunity to do...

I started my new position (SETL) during the holiday rush, so the training I got was "training" on the job. And now that we're in January, payroll is so tight that I'm cashiering and picking up the slack a lot (I don't mind this at all btw, I enjoy the work).

I didn't get the out-of-store training, and my in-store 2 weeks was okay, since my SETL partner is a monster trainer, and they managed to show me a lot of day-to-day stuff despite the holiday madness.

How important is being fully trained? Obviously doing the job is the best training if you can handle it, but I don't speak Target, I'm not educated on other areas of the store and so I don't have a clear understanding of how the store functions as a whole.

Should I be getting with other leaders and TMs whenever there is free time to have them show me what their job is? Other ideas to make up for my lack of training time?

Thanks!

I got a week with a gmtl in my store when i got promoted for overnight plano/pricing and had to watch sfs overnight. Got switched to market tl for a few months never got training for that, amd then switched again to sfs tl and was supposed to get a day in another store but it never happened. I have been with target for 11 years and have done nearly every role in the store so it wasnt a super big deal but it sure would of been nice lol

14 years with Target - too many different positions to count.
Sent to other stores for many of those positions.
Found that “being sent out for training” Is not great. Most of the time I helped that store but didn’t learn much.

If you get a chance, there is some good information on workbench. Click around on learning modules, ask HR to send you useful ones.

Best thing for you: ASK questions. Search out the people that have answers.
‘everything is best understood when you understand the whole picture, the full process from Logistics to Sales. It will take time.
‘once you know something it often changes so strive to be constantly learning.

many threads here have great information, keep reading.

Not in a leadership position, but from your post... It looks like you’ve been trained perfectly! They already brainwashed you😂

Being too busy during Q4... No payroll in January... Next will be something about COVID infected aliens! They’ll keep pushing you around until you man(or woman) up😛.

Again I’m not in leadership, but I’d be rich if I had a dollar for every false promise a tl or etl has made in my store.

Not in a leadership position, but from your post... It looks like you’ve been trained perfectly! They already brainwashed you😂

Being too busy during Q4... No payroll in January... Next will be something about COVID infected aliens! They’ll keep pushing you around until you man(or woman) up😛.

Again I’m not in leadership, but I’d be rich if I had a dollar for every false promise a tl or etl has made in my store.
Ha, I don't argue with this but I think it's okay to embrace the reality of it. It helps that none of our leaders are into bullshit promises, so there's nobody to "man up" to. They agree but it is what it is. Target has been super aggressive in making profit this year, at least from my point of view. I have been through one Christmas season and a payroll-lite winter last year, scraping for as many hours as I could get. This year feels even tighter than last year for team members.

I do think Target still *might* be losing money by cutting corners on payroll, because this year I have seen a decline in the quality of service. But that is mitigated by the way the pandemic has driven sales, despite consumer spending declining, and by Walmart somehow managing an even worse decline in service than I would have expected. We're getting all that restaurant money and that "small business failed" money. People are willing to put up with a decline in service right now. That isn't going to last forever.

I think its very important to know exactly your roles and expectations. If you don't know how to do something then ask for the training. This was my biggest mistake and I am hopeful to return as TL in the future as a SETL.

Back