Archived How would you interpret this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doxiemama

Expert t-shirt folder
OK...this is rather long.

When I first joined Target two years ago, I was interviewed for a Softlines position and hired for thtat position. However, I was entered in the system as Hardlines-Sales Floor. I was told not to worry about it. I occasionally worked HL, but was almost always assigned to SL. We went through a number of ETLs while I was there but I remained in SL the majority of the time, typically at the fitting room. Lately, I've been put all over the place. I've been assigned to HL a lot, but was briefly trained for Flexible Fulfillment since I was scheduled to work there the following week. Then, when that day rolled around, I was moved to Grocery. I've also been scheduled for Electronics, Cashier and Pricing (although was asked to do HL reshop that day, instead). Mostly, I worked at the fitting room prior to all of these weird assignments. We've hired some new girls lately and they're all being assigned fitting room. So, while I'm running all over the store, they're just in the one area. A few have cashier training so can do backup. And a few have occasional evening hours to zone in areas near the fitting room. But they are never assigned anywhere else.

I don't quite get why I'm being moved around so much and the newer folks are getting what I had previously considered "my job". I'd like to think I'm being cross trained but it doesn't feel that way so much as nobody knows what to do with me. I was also told it was a way to get me more hours. But why hire new people if there are already people trained to do the work? If they need people on the sales floor for hardlines, why not put these new folks there? I think I'm reasonably fast, although a few people have a perception that I don't keep up with everybody else. Yet, I see that I finish my zones at about the same time as the other girls.

I am getting the hours I want. But I think HR has it in for me. She just seems short-tempered with me a lot of the time. I had an issue with being late for several weeks by a few minutes so I was coached on that. Then she told the ETL that I was still being late. When the ETL sat down with me to talk about it again, it turned out that it was the same calendar that she had previously shown me. It hadn't been updated to show the more recent dates when I was on time. I have called in a few times lately due to migraines and had to go home in the middle of a shift because I was throwing up. But I always gave them plenty of time to find a replacement. I've also shown up when they needed somebody to fill in at the last moment, and I generally stay past my schedule at the request of the STL.

Most recently, I had the incident with a case full of grocery products falling on me, leaving me bruised and sore. I was sent home immediately after filing an incident report. The next day, I also called in because I was still sore and I figured this was on them for setting up a dangerous situation in the first place. I'm not scheduled to work again until later this week. Despite the various call ins, I have never been coached.

Should I be paranoid about the fact that I'm been moved around so much lately? There are other girls in SL who have been around longer than me (I've been there 2 years) and they always get assignments in the department. The newbies always get assignments in the department. I'm the only one who keeps getting sent to other departments. I do ok with the rest of the store but I'm just more comfortable with SL because I know the merchandise so well.

Does this sound like a situation where they are trying to get me to quit in a passive aggressive manner? I would talk to HR but would just as soon keep my distance from her. The STL never sits still long enough to have any kind of discussion with him. ETL-SL doesn't comment when I say anything, except that she is never consulted on scheduling for her department. I'm starting to look at job sites online but don't really want to leave. But I'd rather do it voluntarily than be terminated. Does Target have standards in place for deciding when to fire somebody? If I were to ask for a transfer to another store, could HR sabotage me, even though I've only been coached once?

Again, sorry for the length, but this entire situation is just leaving me feeling uneasy.

I'd love to be able to train in so many areas! My store does not do that. But if you don't like it and want to stay in SL, I would have a discussion about this with your ETL/ETL-HR/STL whoever is most appropriate. I sat down with my ETL-HR when I wanted to switch work centers. At the time I was working only nights and had to bother her on an LOD shift, but it was a quiet and calm night and she was in a good mood and willing to listen.

It looks like you've been improving on your attendance and I would keep that up. Obviously the grocery incident wasn't your fault so I wouldn't worry about being out due to that.

Honestly, I also thought my store was trying to get me to quit. I had a discussion with my TL about how the store leadership feels about me. She said they have no issues with me. Since that conversation with HR, I feel more comfortable around her than I ever did before. I also now have the opportunity to work more closely with different ETLs, TLs, and TMs since I moved from cashier to the sales floor and that has made me feel better as well.

I know its very difficult to fire somebody and my store has not done it unless there are extreme circumstances (i.e. theft). I'm not sure about transferring, but I doubt HR could "sabotage" you.

OK...this is rather long.

When I first joined Target two years ago, I was interviewed for a Softlines position and hired for thtat position. However, I was entered in the system as Hardlines-Sales Floor. I was told not to worry about it. I occasionally worked HL, but was almost always assigned to SL. We went through a number of ETLs while I was there but I remained in SL the majority of the time, typically at the fitting room. Lately, I've been put all over the place. I've been assigned to HL a lot, but was briefly trained for Flexible Fulfillment since I was scheduled to work there the following week. Then, when that day rolled around, I was moved to Grocery. I've also been scheduled for Electronics, Cashier and Pricing (although was asked to do HL reshop that day, instead). Mostly, I worked at the fitting room prior to all of these weird assignments. We've hired some new girls lately and they're all being assigned fitting room. So, while I'm running all over the store, they're just in the one area. A few have cashier training so can do backup. And a few have occasional evening hours to zone in areas near the fitting room. But they are never assigned anywhere else.

I don't quite get why I'm being moved around so much and the newer folks are getting what I had previously considered "my job". I'd like to think I'm being cross trained but it doesn't feel that way so much as nobody knows what to do with me. I was also told it was a way to get me more hours. But why hire new people if there are already people trained to do the work? If they need people on the sales floor for hardlines, why not put these new folks there? I think I'm reasonably fast, although a few people have a perception that I don't keep up with everybody else. Yet, I see that I finish my zones at about the same time as the other girls.

I am getting the hours I want. But I think HR has it in for me. She just seems short-tempered with me a lot of the time. I had an issue with being late for several weeks by a few minutes so I was coached on that. Then she told the ETL that I was still being late. When the ETL sat down with me to talk about it again, it turned out that it was the same calendar that she had previously shown me. It hadn't been updated to show the more recent dates when I was on time. I have called in a few times lately due to migraines and had to go home in the middle of a shift because I was throwing up. But I always gave them plenty of time to find a replacement. I've also shown up when they needed somebody to fill in at the last moment, and I generally stay past my schedule at the request of the STL.

Most recently, I had the incident with a case full of grocery products falling on me, leaving me bruised and sore. I was sent home immediately after filing an incident report. The next day, I also called in because I was still sore and I figured this was on them for setting up a dangerous situation in the first place. I'm not scheduled to work again until later this week. Despite the various call ins, I have never been coached.

Should I be paranoid about the fact that I'm been moved around so much lately? There are other girls in SL who have been around longer than me (I've been there 2 years) and they always get assignments in the department. The newbies always get assignments in the department. I'm the only one who keeps getting sent to other departments. I do ok with the rest of the store but I'm just more comfortable with SL because I know the merchandise so well.

Does this sound like a situation where they are trying to get me to quit in a passive aggressive manner? I would talk to HR but would just as soon keep my distance from her. The STL never sits still long enough to have any kind of discussion with him. ETL-SL doesn't comment when I say anything, except that she is never consulted on scheduling for her department. I'm starting to look at job sites online but don't really want to leave. But I'd rather do it voluntarily than be terminated. Does Target have standards in place for deciding when to fire somebody? If I were to ask for a transfer to another store, could HR sabotage me, even though I've only been coached once?

Again, sorry for the length, but this entire situation is just leaving me feeling uneasy.

No, they wouldn't have you do the "other" jobs unless SOMEONE thought u could. Take your assignments to new areas as if someone is "pushing" you, in a good way though. The more you know how to do, the more competent you will be... you shouldn't take this as a negative (unless you are a Perishables Assistant, and they would rather have you at the fitting room, lol).

Look at it as you never have to do the exact same thing every single day you clock in.

Take this as a good thing! I was also hired as softlines, but I almost never have shifts over there. When they train you for new things, it means they think you're competent and reliable. You're able to pick up more shifts and it's nice to not do the same thing everyday :)

It's part of being global; the more you're moved around the more you can pick up. Logical thing to do coming up on Q4.
They are also probably looking to see if there's another area you show promise in other than SL.

ASANTS as far as moving you to other areas when they deem you to be capable/showing promise. My store does not do this. Once you're trained for an area, you stay in that area. It is e.x.t.r.e.m.e.l.y. difficult to move work centers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back