Archived I have my TL interviews soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

antivibe

Salesfloor TL
[I've read through the many TL INTERVIEW threads on here. I'm posting on here
to get any updated information and to get answers to a few questions I didn't see answered
in previous threads.]

I'm currently a TM and I will be doing my TL interviews in less than two weeks.
I feel confident with my stories and answering the situation/behavior questions.
I'm also confident with my introduction. I'm still working on them though.

My only worry at the moment is knowing metrics. I don't know any metrics by memory :|
A few TLs have told me that knowing metrics isn't a huge deal for the interview
with my ETL-HR and STL but I would probably use them in my DTL interview.
I'll be printing out junk from workbench tomorrow.
I've done two mock interviews but each were 2-3 questions each. I'll be doing a few more this week.

What metrics/scores should I focus on learning?

For those who promoted to TL:
Did you bring a resume to your interviews?
What did you wear to your interviews?
What questions did get you get asked?
Any questions that caught you off guard?
Any tips?

Congratulations! I actually just passed my interview and begin training tomorrow.

I had my interview with my DTL over the phone. It was hard not being able to read body languge.

The question that surprised me the most was when I was asked "Out of all the TLs in the store, which on would you like to be more like and why" Lucky I have a great mentor so I already knew in the back of my mind who and why.

At the end of the interview the DTL liked that I asked how his Target journey started. I figured he asked about mine only fair I asked about his lol

Goodluck! Any questions dont hesitate to pm me

I wore a nice red button down and a pair of khaki slacks. You definitely want to look your best, but stay in dress code. Don't wear a suit or a dress. Nice red and khaki. I did not bring a resume, but I suppose bringing a folio with a resume wouldn't hurt. They probably won't ask for one and probably won't want one. I got asked the questions from the guide, basically the same ones as for TMs but with a bit more of a management focus. Have an answer for why you want to be a TL. I don't think most DTLs would expect TMs to know any metrics other than green conversion/attachments is good and whether or not you are making sales.

Go in there with confidence. Your exec team wouldn't be prepping you or even sending you if you didn't have a chance. Most DTLs trust their store teams' judgement on TL material. Don't say anything outrageous and you should be fine. Believe in yourself and you've got this interview in the bag. But don't go in under the presumption that the interview is a formality, because the DTL can still turn you down. Just a quiet confidence. Be yourself, don't stress, and you'll be fine!

Last edited:
Thank you Survey Queen and Sigma7

I'm actually really excited but I'm still nervous about the actual DTL interview portion. My STL said the DTL
will backup a store decision so not to worry, but still dammit.

Thank you Survey Queen and Sigma7

I'm actually really excited but I'm still nervous about the actual DTL interview portion. My STL said the DTL
will backup a store decision so not to worry, but still dammit.

What is it about the DTL interview that makes you nervous?

What is it about the DTL interview that makes you nervous?

I've talked to my DTL before and the guy has no emotion of any kind.
I've been told that he just stares at you and barely provides any kind of feedback, not even a nod or smile.
He also likes to answer his phone calls and emails during interviews.

Did you bring a resume to your interviews? No. When I went from TL to SrTL I brought my Talent Profile but nothing else.
What did you wear to your interviews? Nice red and khaki and dress shoes.
What questions did get you get asked? The ones in the guide.
Any questions that caught you off guard? Yes but luckily I had been prepped for them. Which ETL would you want to model yourself after and what is something that an ETL does that you would not want to do? Or something along those lines. Out of the TL's in your store who is the top performer and who would you choose at the bottom and why? - These were in my SrTL interviews but you never know. If you get these questions make your answers positive, do not throw anyone under the bus.
Any tips? Be confident, take a few seconds in between their question and your answer to get your mind in order. If you mess up, pause and re group. I had to do this once and they were fine with it.
My old DTL was the no emotion type as well. I felt him not really paying attention and he looked at his phone during my intro but I kept talking through. I did have a training STL in the room with us so I put my attention and focus on him and when I felt the DTL put the phone down I looked back at him. I did not want to let him mess me up.
At the end of the interview if they ask if you have any questions ask one. I asked my DTL something like when you changed positions what was a challenge you had and how did you work through it. He had held other positions prior to becoming a DTL so just make sure you know his background before you ask something.

Hope that helps!

Thank you PB.

Any questions that caught you off guard? Yes but luckily I had been prepped for them. Which ETL would you want to model yourself after and what is something that an ETL does that you would not want to do? Or something along those lines. Out of the TL's in your store who is the top performer and who would you choose at the bottom and why? - These were in my SrTL interviews but you never know. If you get these questions make your answers positive, do not throw anyone under the bus.

The recent folks who have promoted at my store told me they got asked who was the bottom performing ETL or TL.
Actually my STL asked me this not too long ago and I was caught off guard but I think I answered positively.

My old DTL was the no emotion type as well. I felt him not really paying attention and he looked at his phone during my intro but I kept talking through. I did have a training STL in the room with us so I put my attention and focus on him and when I felt the DTL put the phone down I looked back at him. I did not want to let him mess me up.

Oh man... I would have such a problem with this. I would probably stop answering until he looked up and say very politely "I'm sorry, am I boring you?"

I had a panel interview for another job that one of the panel just looked like he hated his life and didn't want to be there and I was SO close to asking that it wasn't funny. I got offered that position and turned it down so I probably should have just let loose and asked.

during my interview with my DTL a couple of years ago He asked me who was the best ETL and the worst ETL. It totally caught me off guard but i answered truthfully and respectfully. I told him positives of the worst ETL but what i thought they could work on and how it made me a better leader because I knew i wouldn't want people to feel like that about me. He told my STL he instantly liked me because every other person he had recently asked that question to had started bashing ETL's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back