Archived Middle School Math

Status
Not open for further replies.
A guest brought me over to self checkout today to exclaim to me that "THESE ITEMS ARE 3 for $10!"

"Well, ma'am, $3.33, $3.33, and $3.33 would bring your total to $9.99."

People throw the biggest fits for no reason.

Had one argue with me because her items were ringing up at $2.49 and were supposed to be 2/$5. Insisted I change the prices to $2.50. Had to ring them up manually and input the prices as $2.50 because I couldn't override the price, but it made her happy.

I can't do simple maths. So when someone dumps the coins on the convener belt, I give up and die. Also its great when they put it on the belt and it starts taking the money away. Please, Mr. belt, let me live.

@tomthy: there's a little tray underneath the edge of the conveyor belt that you can pull out from the side.
It catches coins, lint, dust & tiny things guests should know better than to leave on a belt.

I used to have to detail the registers back in the day.

I can't do simple maths. So when someone dumps the coins on the convener belt, I give up and die. Also its great when they put it on the belt and it starts taking the money away. Please, Mr. belt, let me live.

Whenever a guest puts money, a card, whatever on the belt, find the switch to shut off the belt.

@tomthy: there's a little tray underneath the edge of the conveyor belt that you can pull out from the side.
It catches coins, lint, dust & tiny things guests should know better than to leave on a belt.

This. I actually didn't know it existed until I saw someone post about it in the cashier guide a few years ago, so whenever I had to train a new cashier, I made sure to tell them about the tray and where the on/off switch for the belt is.

You know I always felt like something should be and you've just confirmed to me that over half our registers are missing those trays.

I remember guests complaining that Target was frauding them because the ad said 4 for $10. And the sale signage said $2.50.

You know I always felt like something should be and you've just confirmed to me that over half our registers are missing those trays.
You can also lift the edge near the scanner that the belt goes under.
It's spring-loaded but make sure your belt is turned off.

Last edited:
I had a guest get upset and throw a fit because the clearance sticker said 49.99 but had a different price on the total screen once scanned at register....

I tried to explain sales tax to her but she huffed and said we were false advertising

I had a guest get upset and throw a fit because the clearance sticker said 49.99 but had a different price on the total screen once scanned at register....

I tried to explain sales tax to her but she huffed and said we were false advertising
The dreaded False Advertising! dun dun dun. I fucking dare you to call bbb.

I'm still amazed by the number of people that can't figure out basic percentages, like 10% off of an item.

"This is also 10% off on Cartwheel maybe you should download our app."
"Well...how much would it take off?"
"Hmmm...since this is regularly $99.99...":confused:

Who said "we?" All the comments I saw were referring to "guests"

It was directed at guests who think we're uneducated because we work in retail, yet they're the ones who don't know how to do simple math.

If the tray is missing, won't items just fall into the cubby underneath?

IIRC, there was some framing underneath that would still catch some items.
You could still flip up the edge the belt goes under (again, AFTER you've turned off the belt).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back