Archived More things for cashiers to stress over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do loll a lot more then I probably should lol

When they complain about express lanes not being used, give them the survey slip. You could also give them the comment card but make sure they call guest relations since the cards no longer go to corp, just into an ETL's box.

All you have to do is push 'item look up' as if you are going to check another store for it, change the size (K3), select the size then K1 (select)..hit K1 again to select the highlighted one and the DPCI for a medium will come up even if your store doesnt carry it you have the number and will not have to scan the XL in place of the medium. I am able to do it under a min. so there isn't much wait time.

I wish Item Locate was that fast at my store. We just got new registers (NCR, I think?) last summer to replace our dinosaur IBMs (from when the store opened 13 years ago). Even with the fast new registers, Item Locate still takes 10 min to load. Our guests don't have that kind of patience. I've tried to talk our GSTLs into letting us keep PDAs at the registers, but of course that will never happen. :rolleyes:

We have had NCR registers since I been there. If your registers are taking that long, perhaps they need a system update. You can ask your GSTL to call 701 (TMSC) and request a system update, they will give her a ticket number and probably call back to see if that works. If not then she/ he can either put in a work order and have your STL (maintenance) have a look at them or escalate it to a higher power or she/ he can call 701 to have a tech. come out to have a look at them. But Item locate, or the register itself should not take 10 mins, 5 at that, to load anything. When our's did that I tried rebooting it myself.. this sometimes helps. Give it a shot. I'm sure there is a way to fix it.

I wish Item Locate was that fast at my store. We just got new registers (NCR, I think?) last summer to replace our dinosaur IBMs (from when the store opened 13 years ago). Even with the fast new registers, Item Locate still takes 10 min to load. Our guests don't have that kind of patience. I've tried to talk our GSTLs into letting us keep PDAs at the registers, but of course that will never happen. :rolleyes:

Plus, I agree with your GSTL on not allowing LPDA's to be at the registers. They are quite expensive and there might not be enough of them to spare. I could be wrong though. Your GSTL/ service desk should always have one with them so if the guest needs something or you need a DPCI, don't take the easy way out a double scan an item. Just inform the guest that you need a number for the item and to give you a second to get it. I am not sure if all stores do this but we tell our cashier's/ TM's t utilize their empowerment when it comes to the 20%/ $20 rule. Basically, ask the guest how much they think or saw the item for. If it does not exceed $20 and is a reasonable amount, hit K3 and key it has a no barcode. Although, this does have a downfall. Each DPCI (department, class, item) is specific to it's department, clearly in it's name. If you key something as a no barcode, it will come up under merchandise and the department will not get credit for it. So like I tell my TM's, use this as a last resort and not freely. With the 20% rule, this fall into the price challenge category. If a guest has a price challenge that is less or at 20%, make it right and give it to them. This too has it's issues. There is no adjusting clearance. I am not sure if all targets do this but it has always worked and the guest leaves happy.

The PDA thing is kind of a joke between me and the GSTLs. We don't have enough equipment for the sales floor and process teams, let alone cashiers.

And re: Item Locate - The registers themselves are very fast at everything except Item Locate. I may have exaggerated a bit with the number, but it's way too slow for it to be worth bothering. I just get the GSTL because they can use their PDA.

yea I figured loll ooo yea lets us deal with it... let us tell the guest that only 4 stores in the surrounding areas have 2 on hand each, but the system updates every 24 hours so the chances of them having the item is very slim. && oh yeaa it's a clearance item at that and the prices varry by store...That if they want we can call to check or they can give them a call. lmao I "loveeee" how when I get called to the service desk for guest assistance this is exactly how it goes:

SDTM-- heyy xxxx(me), quick question.. *asks question*

GSTL-- *I take receipt and answer question*

SDTM-- *walks away to help another guest*...I am left to deal with it.

haha it cracks me up

The PDA thing is kind of a joke between me and the GSTLs. We don't have enough equipment for the sales floor and process teams, let alone cashiers.

And re: Item Locate - The registers themselves are very fast at everything except Item Locate. I may have exaggerated a bit with the number, but it's way too slow for it to be worth bothering. I just get the GSTL because they can use their PDA.

Last edited:
yea I figured loll ooo yea lets us deal with it... let us tell the guest that only 4 stores in the surrounding areas have 2 on hand each, but the system updates every 24 hours so the chances of them having the item is very slim. && oh yeaa it's a clearance item at that and the prices varry by store...That if they want we can call to check or they can give them a call. lmao I "loveeee" how when I get called to the service desk for guest assistance this is exactly how it goes:

SDTM-- heyy xxxx(me), quick question.. *asks question*

GSTL-- *I take receipt and answer question*

SDTM-- *walks away to help another guest*...I am left to deal with it.

haha it cracks me up

I try to help the guest as much as I can before I call over the GSTL. If I can't go any farther or the guest has a question/concern I just don't know the answer to, then I'll hit the help key or turn on my light.

And as far as the service desk: your SDTMs probably don't want to keep the other guests waiting if you're already helping the first guest. After all, it's guests first, not guest first.

Yea I agree but there are times that I see they call me over just so I can deal with it. loll it's fine for me just after I explain what I did or I ask them to shadow me (if no one is waiting) that way they can take care of the issue themselves. This falls into the empowerment thing. I have a lot of faith and trust in my team especially with my service deak TM's. I just think they doubt themselves sometimes and I always encourage them to think like a GSTL. They here and see what we tell the guest's. Although there are certain things only we can approve but most things they are fully capable of handling. Just like us and the ETL's(LOD), we use our empowerment and if it something we KNOW we cant do, we call them.

I try to help the guest as much as I can before I call over the GSTL. If I can't go any farther or the guest has a question/concern I just don't know the answer to, then I'll hit the help key or turn on my light.

And as far as the service desk: your SDTMs probably don't want to keep the other guests waiting if you're already helping the first guest. After all, it's guests first, not guest first.

Yea I agree but there are times that I see they call me over just so I can deal with it. loll it's fine for me just after I explain what I did or I ask them to shadow me (if no one is waiting) that way they can take care of the issue themselves. This falls into the empowerment thing. I have a lot of faith and trust in my team especially with my service deak TM's. I just think they doubt themselves sometimes and I always encourage them to think like a GSTL. They here and see what we tell the guest's. Although there are certain things only we can approve but most things they are fully capable of handling. Just like us and the ETL's(LOD), we use our empowerment and if it something we KNOW we cant do, we call them.

Our service desk TMs are pretty knowledgeable about stuff, but our cashiers are kinda clueless sometimes. Half the time you look and their lights are flashing. Maybe they need to have you around. :D

When I'm at the service desk, or covering a GSTL shift, I make it a point to carry an LPDA on me. For SD shifts, it's always helpful to have to void any license plates, item checks, instock data checks, verify raincheck pads, and a host of other options. When covering GSTL shifts, I log in as a GSA to receive any relevant cashier alerts and to recognize redcards.

Yea we have our own. What bother's be so much is that when we do lock our GSTL LPDA in the cash office at night, the opening LOD will take it out and give it to the sales floor and we never see it again. It's the sales floor's fault why we don't have equipment and I am sick of our's being taken and then returned to us broke...seriously it's ridiculous..loll

They used to take ours so I had all our cashiers use their blinkers (ETLs HATE those) & guest service would call the operator to page us over to SD. I'd also hit K3 a lot to keep up with change requests & had to go to a workstation for hourly sales updates. Eventually the ETLs got the hint & we got our LPDA back. We also use ours over at guest services to handle QMOS (we're pfresh) & taking additionals on returns that go salvage but we know would sell (w/ETL & dept approval).

Yea our's (the GSTL) just popped up finally after 2 weeks. I my GSTL and I told everyone, including the ETL's that no one can takae it anymore because it always comes to us broken. They will probably try to find it but we hid it in a different place.. (one of the lockers & all 3 of us know the combination to it)...this will P/O whatever LOD has been taking it in the mornings. loll mean? ii think not... :p

They used to take ours so I had all our cashiers use their blinkers (ETLs HATE those) & guest service would call the operator to page us over to SD. I'd also hit K3 a lot to keep up with change requests & had to go to a workstation for hourly sales updates. Eventually the ETLs got the hint & we got our LPDA back. We also use ours over at guest services to handle QMOS (we're pfresh) & taking additionals on returns that go salvage but we know would sell (w/ETL & dept approval).

Yea we have our own. What bother's be so much is that when we do lock our GSTL LPDA in the cash office at night, the opening LOD will take it out and give it to the sales floor and we never see it again. It's the sales floor's fault why we don't have equipment and I am sick of our's being taken and then returned to us broke...seriously it's ridiculous..loll

We've started locking ours up in the lockbox at the Guest Service desk when the LOD isn't looking...been doing this for months now and they still haven't figured it out.

1) Our store doesn't use the pens to detect fraudulent bills. Do most stores use them, or is it just some areas?
2)Two of our five GSTLs and GSAs use the special PDA. When the three who don't carry one are in charge then we don't have a PDA up front. Sometimes the GSTL/GSA without the LPDA will call for someone on the sales floor to look stuff up......gets interesting and can be time consuming.
3)While our cashiers aren't specifically asked to load guests carts, sometimes we load the carts.....especially if the guest has been slow making a payment or they aren't moving very quickly. I try to load carts up as much as I can because it gives me the chance to move around....and most guests are happy for the extra help since they don't have to load things.

1) Our store doesn't use the pens to detect fraudulent bills. Do most stores use them, or is it just some areas?
2)Two of our five GSTLs and GSAs use the special PDA. When the three who don't carry one are in charge then we don't have a PDA up front. Sometimes the GSTL/GSA without the LPDA will call for someone on the sales floor to look stuff up......gets interesting and can be time consuming.
3)While our cashiers aren't specifically asked to load guests carts, sometimes we load the carts.....especially if the guest has been slow making a payment or they aren't moving very quickly. I try to load carts up as much as I can because it gives me the chance to move around....and most guests are happy for the extra help since they don't have to load things.

The pens might only be used in high-risk stores. My store doesn't use them either.

Re: loading carts - One of our GSTLs tries to push this because we get a lot of paid-and-lefts at my store.

We use the pens but ever since they switched to the cheaper ones, they don't work as good as the other ones. I get on my whole team, not just the front end, about marking the bills. Each time a "new" fraudulent bill comes out, I will take it around and show it to the team so they know what to look out for. For example, at one point we were getting a lot of fake $100's... now it is $50. I noticed this because when I was closing the checklanes, something told me to hold it up to the light and AH! HA!, just as I suspected, George Washington ($5 bill) that was altered and made into a $50 bill. You have to be careful though, although the bills mark yellow, they are not always real. This is why I show examples to the team so they know what to look out for because once they mark the bill and it shows right, we have to accept it. But I really hate the new pens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back